FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5935 Discussions

FW_CODE_NOT_WORKING_WHEN_CONFIGURED_FPGA_WITH_JIC_PROGRAMMING

SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi Team,

We tried to check the jic file programming setup in Cyclone v gt eval board. For that we have created the system in FPGA design like this:

SERMASWATHIKA_0-1712144733177.png

nios ii reset and exception vector parameter:

SERMASWATHIKA_7-1712145496244.png

firmware code structure we have followed like this:

SERMASWATHIKA_1-1712144775605.png

linker script and other parameters in bsp editor:

SERMASWATHIKA_2-1712144818265.pngSERMASWATHIKA_3-1712144859523.png

make target->mem_init gen used to create hex file.

SERMASWATHIKA_5-1712144947659.png

JIC File conversion parameters setup:

SERMASWATHIKA_6-1712145334388.png

with this jic, we have programmed the fpga, Our expected output from this is 3 led should blink( 1 controlled by FPGA DESIGN and other2 controlled by firmware code).

But with jic programming, firmware controlled led is not blinking.

But in .elf file programming, firmware controlled led is blinking.

do we miss anything? Please guide us to resolve this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

This is to let you know I am investigating your case.

I will get back to you once I have the solution for your issue.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

With your Exception Vector (RAM IP settings) set to OCRAM, you need your BSP as follows:

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel_0-1712903392783.png

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel_1-1712903475867.png

Re-build the BSP and project, and re-generate the new .hex using the "mem_init_generate" tools.

Replace your .hex with this new .hex (with above BSP settings) in Platform Designer and create your new .jic and re-try.

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi Eberlazare,

I have tried with the settings you have mentioned in above response, with that also firmware controlled led is not working.

the setting which i have used:

SERMASWATHIKA_0-1712918170049.png

SERMASWATHIKA_1-1712918185746.png

and i have one doubt that two hex files are generated in mem_init folder, i am using epcq hex file only for generating the jic file programming. Is that correct only right?

SERMASWATHIKA_3-1712918438042.png

SERMASWATHIKA_2-1712918260579.png

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I think it is because of your Reset Vector offset in your first post, for EPCQ, you need to have offset address for your application as the .jic will also have the .sof at 0x0, so you do not want to overlap it. Anyway, you can find the info here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/reset-and-exception-vector-settings.html

You can determine the minimum reset vector offset by using the following equation:

minimum reset vector offset= (.sof image start address + .sof image size) in HEX

You can also try as per the document, set the Reset Vector offset to "0x01E00000".

With that, you need to regenerate the Platform Designer to get the new ".sopcinfo" file and use it to create the new BSP and project.

To confirm you have the Reset Vector offset changed, you can view them when you add in the ".hex" when you try to create the ".jic" file:

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel_1-1713149022337.png

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

We have tried as per the steps you have mentioned in previous response. But relative address is not reflecting in the jic file generation.

SERMASWATHIKA_1-1713324395700.jpeg

reset vector offset is changed in nios ii parameter settings ,

SERMASWATHIKA_2-1713324432313.jpeg

hex data parameter is 

SERMASWATHIKA_3-1713324463437.jpeg

we have tried with this , but firmware part is not working. Can you please guide us to resolve this as we have less time to give commitment to customer. 

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

You need to create a new BSP and project in Nios II SBT, with the new .sopcinfo which has the address set.

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

i have created new bsp and generated hex file. with that also address is not reflecting..

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Which Quartus version are you using? Is the Cyclone V GT custom or the dev kit version?

Can you archive the Quartus design to me here? You are using the Hello World template in the Nios II SBT right?

I will help you check and create the .jic on my side.

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

We are using 22.1 quartus version and currently we are checking the design in starter vino kit eval board.

Yes we are using hello world template only

Can you please check this , because we need to inform customer regarding this.

i have attached the project archive with this . please let me know if any

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

Please give response for this, our work is blocked with this

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Just to let you know that I am checking your case. will get back to you as soon as possible.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos