FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

How to change reference clock through clock programming for S10 transceiver for adjusting data rate

JSu
Employee

May I ask how to change reference clock (Y2 for SMA) on S10 GX transceiver development kit through programming in order to adjust the data rate?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JSu
Employee

Just wanted to add a note - now I am able to program the clock properly. Here is the procedure:

(1) Launch Quartus Pro and set HW frequency to 16MHz

(2) Launch ClockControl.exe in NIO II command shell and set the target clock

(3) Close ClockControl (must do) to release JTAG

(4) Program FPGA with a chosen .sof

(5) Launch Transceiver Toolkit.

Thanks to skbeh.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
skbeh
Employee

Hi

The Clock Controller application can sets the Si570 programmable oscillators to any frequency between 10 MHz and 945 MHz and select frequencies to 1400 MHz. The oscillator drives a 2-to-6 buffer that drives a copy of the clock to all transceiver blocks

of the FPGA.

The Clock Control applications runs as a stand-alone application. ClockControl.exe resides in the <package dir>\examples\board_test_system directory.

Refer to Figure 37 of Stratix10 GX Transceiver Signal Integrity Development Kit User Guide 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683206/current/clock-controller.html

JSu
Employee

Thank you very much for your help.

Indeed Clockcontrol.exe works well alone, however it does not solve my problem effectively. Here is the dilemma I am encountering:

If I use ClockControl.exe alone, it helps set up new reference clock correctly. However, I will not be able to load qts_sma.sof (I am trying to test transceiver sma ports) and have to quit from ClockControl in order to program FPGA, and the clock gets reset to default value.

Did I run something incorrectly? How should I use Clock Control and load qts_sma.sof properly. I use Transceiver Toolkit under System Console of Quartus Pro v18.1 to test sma ports on S10 Transceiver Development Kit.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
JSu
Employee

Just wanted to add a note - now I am able to program the clock properly. Here is the procedure:

(1) Launch Quartus Pro and set HW frequency to 16MHz

(2) Launch ClockControl.exe in NIO II command shell and set the target clock

(3) Close ClockControl (must do) to release JTAG

(4) Program FPGA with a chosen .sof

(5) Launch Transceiver Toolkit.

Thanks to skbeh.

0 Kudos