FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5975 Discussions

How to find security bit set or not and if it set, how to disable without lost the code.

RajendraBala
New User

Hi

I am a beginner with the Max7000s device. When I connected to the chip to Quartus II web edit v13 over the JTAG. It is showing the "Blank check" only. How to find the device is in security mode or not. If it is security mode, how do I reset or disable it?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor II

If you just launch the programmer tool (as you did) and scan the chain, the only option available will be BLANK_CHECK, until you assign a .POF file to the device shown in the tool. All the other options are greyed out irrespective of the security bit setting.

Once you assign a .POF file to your device in the programmer, then the PROGRAM_CONFIGURE, VERIFY, BLANK_CHECK, and SECURITY checkboxes will become active. No matter what, the 13.0sp1 programmer does NOT allow you to read back an existing device programming into .POF file, whether or not the device security bit was set. The EXAMINE feature is not supported for the MAX EPM series parts in Quartus 13.0sp1 (the last version that supports the MAX EPM7K/3K series). It was deprecated in the switch from MAX PLUS II to QUARTUS.

I seem to recall you need a device programmer (like a PROM/CPLD/etc) that uses the parallel programming pins on the device to be able to clear the security bit as it needs a specific pin pulled up to +12V during the programming access. I am not sure if that clearing of the security bit also erases the program, it's been too long, and I never have used the security bit in any event in any of my work. My recollection is it does. The security bit would be pointless if you could clear it and then gain access to the read the program in the device.

Summary is that QuartusII does not allow you to read back the device program from that device, whether the security bit is set, or not. It was not a supported feature for the MAX EPM series in Quartus|| programmer. I have an old school parallel programmer (EEtools TopMaxII) that supports parallel programming those parts and it does support the read back of a programmed device IF the security bit is NOT set. If the security bit is set, you can only ERASE or REPROGRAM.

And in summary, the whole point of the security bit is to prevent anyone from ever seeing/reading the image programmed into the device. So if the security bit is set, the ONLY way to clear it is to erase/reprogram the device, overwriting the current image and security setting.

0 Kudos
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor II

If you just launch the programmer tool (as you did) and scan the chain, the only option available will be BLANK_CHECK, until you assign a .POF file to the device shown in the tool. All the other options are greyed out irrespective of the security bit setting.

I can't edit the above response any more, so I am adding corrections here based on new research/recollections.

Once you assign a .POF file to your device in the programmer, then the PROGRAM_CONFIGURE, VERIFY, BLANK_CHECK, and SECURITY checkboxes will become active. No matter what, the 13.0sp1 programmer does NOT allow you to read back an existing device programming into .POF file, whether or not the device security bit was set. The EXAMINE feature is not supported for the MAX EPM series parts in Quartus 13.0sp1 (the last version that supports the MAX EPM7K/3K series). It was deprecated in the switch from MAX PLUS II to QUARTUS.

I seem to recall you need a device programmer (like a PROM/CPLD/etc) that uses the parallel programming pins on the device to be able to clear the security bit as it needs a specific pin pulled up to +12V during the programming access. I am not sure if that clearing of the security bit also erases the program, it's been too long, and I never have used the security bit in any event in any of my work. My recollection is it does. The security bit would be pointless if you could clear it and then gain access to the read the program in the device.

The above scenario actually applies to a JTAG based MAX EPM part where you redefine the JTAG pins as normal I/O pins. In that case
subsequent attempts to reprogram via JTAG will NOT work, as the JTAG pins have been redefined as I/O, so they do not respond
to JTAG signals. To reprogram such a device you need a parallel programmer that can assert +12V on the appropriate pin to reset
the I/Os to their JTAG functionally and then reprogram the device via the parallel programmer algorithm (or via JTAG). The security
bit still acts normally, inhibiting readback of the device if set. The only way to reset the security bit is to erase/reprogram the CPLD.

Summary is that QuartusII does not allow you to read back the device program from that device, whether the security bit is set, or not. It was not a supported feature for the MAX EPM series in Quartus|| programmer. I have an old school parallel programmer (EEtools TopMaxII) that supports parallel programming those parts and it does support the read back of a programmed device IF the security bit is NOT set. If the security bit is set, you can only ERASE or REPROGRAM.

And in summary, the whole point of the security bit is to prevent anyone from ever seeing/reading the image programmed into the device. So if the security bit is set, the ONLY way to clear it is to erase/reprogram the device, overwriting the current image and security setting.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Please refer to this link : https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/654718/m7000.pdf

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Any further information needed for this case?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos