FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Jtag chain broken for an Intel Stratix 10 MX board

Pouya1
Beginner

Hi,

I have an Intel Stratix 10 MX FPGA installed in a workstation. The board is powered up using an 8-pin AUX connector (in addition to pcie slot). I followed the user guide for HW/SW installation. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. A couple of days ago, when I was running jtagconfig everything worked perfectly (I could see the device name and jtag chain was also correct). But after a few days (I didnt touch anything or any commands or even I didnt program the fpga) when I entered the same command, jtag chain was broken:

1) Intel Stratix 10 MX FPGA Development Kit [1-14]

Unable to read device chain - JTAG chain broken

I tried all suggestions in this link, but none was helpful. I would appreciate it if you could help me with this.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

Are you log in root mode?

By the way, the jtag chain always cannot be used because the loose cable. And cloud you try another PC to test is the jtag line or device broken?

0 Kudos
Pouya1
Beginner

Thank you for your response @WZ2 !

Yes, I tried it with root access, too (I logged in as a super user using sudo su and ran jtagconfig) but again no success. I also, tested it with another miniUSB cable but it was not helpful. Since it takes time for me to test it with another sever, is there anything else I can test it before I move the FPGA card and install it in another server?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

I am not sure what device in the jtag chain rather than S10, please bypass them. And make sure the power of AUX is fixed. 

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

Is there any update~

0 Kudos
Pouya1
Beginner

Hi, 

Thanks for the follow up. The first output I got before encountering the jtag issue was:

> jtagconfig

1) Intel Stratix 10 MX FPGA Development Kit [1-4]

632AC0DD   1SM21BHN(1|2|3)/1SM21BHU1/..

020D10DD   VTAP10

but now Jtag chain is broken. I'm not sure how can I bypass anything. Should I change the position of DIP switches? If yes, which switches and to what position?

I think the power of AUX is fixed. Im not sure is it a good idea to still insert it into pcie slot but this time use the external power supply instead of AUX connector.

Also, currently, I dont have access to other good system to test it unfortunately. Another system that I have access to is a P700 Thinkstation but it doesnt have an 8-pin AUX connector and also not sure whether a big stratix 10 board can fit into it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

There are two suggestion:

1. SW2 should be 1001.
  2. Could you kill all jtag server then ./jtagd again to see if there any changed

Best regards,

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

Is there any update?

0 Kudos
Pouya1
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply. Unfortunately it didnt help.

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

The JTAG chain's problem normally has three reasons on Linux:

1. The power of board has problem: You can check it. 

2. The JTAG chain has problem on board, that is the reason I suggest u to change the mini USB and unplug multiple times.

3. The JTAG server on Linux: You succeeded before and don't change the environment, and also kill the jtag server.

If all these thing you confirmed, there is no more methods i can give to you =。=  

0 Kudos