FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

MAX 10 Configuration Flash Memory (CFM) how to write to it?

AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

I have a 10M08SCE144I7G device connected via JTAG using the Altera USB-Blaster II and Quartus Prime 21.1 Lite Edition. I want to program the configuration flash memory but I get this error:

```
Error (209031): Device chain in Chain Description File does not match physical device chain -- expected 2 device(s) but found 1 device(s).
```
as seen in the following screenshot:

Screenshot_2022-06-21_13-41-42.png

If I click in the "Auto Detect" button it only detects one thing.

This is a new FPGA for me, before I was using a 10M04SCE144C8G mounted exactly in the same board that I am using now (the FPGA was replaced). For that old FPGA, if I am not mistaken, I was able to program the CFM in this way.

How should I proceed to write my program in the CFM?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So after auto detect, you still see two devices in the chain and it still doesn't work?

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

After auto detect I have only one single device. To have two devices, I had to click in "Add file" and choose the `.pof` manually.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I don't understand.  So you're saying when you add the programming file to the one device, a second device just appears out of nowhere?  Can you right-click the extra device and remove it?

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

No. I start Quartus, open the programmer, click "Auto detect" and only one device appears which is associated to the `.sof` file. If I now click "Start" it programs and I get the green "Success" light in the top right.

With my old FPGA I was somehow able to program also the `.pof` and I want to do this now on this one. So now I click on "Add file" and select the `.pof` file. This creates the drawing of the second device, which looks the same as with my old FPGA. But now it fails to program.

I do want to program the two of them.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What if you double-click the existing .sof and select the .pof instead of using Add file?

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

In that case I obtain this other error:

Screenshot_2022-06-21_19-51-30.png

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

I found a similar case as yours from Intel community below;

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Quartus-Prime-Software/Programmer-Error-Message-quot-Device-Chain-does-not-match/m-p/146182

Please have a look and let us know the update.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

Hi Aiman, I saw that one. Does not work for me.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Can you try this;

Perform auto-detect from the programmer? The

programmer will detect the physical number of devices connected in the JTAG chain

on the board. Then right click at the detected device (that you want to

program) and choose “Change File” and select the .sof file to be add into the

device. Then perform the program. You can only program the devices on the board

that being detected by the programmer.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What is the frequency used? Can you try to lower the frequency to 6MHz?

Is there any other changes that was done for programming the new FPGA compare to the old one?

Did you follow the pin connection guidelines?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683232/current/fpga-device-family-pin-connection-guidelines.html

And follow the Max 10 configuration userguide to program CFM.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683865/current/configuration-flash-memory.html

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos