FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

MAX5 CFM access?

FLembcke
Novice

In the past I managed to reprogram a Cyclone V / the connected EPCQ flash from within the running firmware (new image was received via SPI and then stored in the EPCQ flash using a megafunction to access the FPGA flash pins). The new image was used after a reboot / power cycle.

I was hoping to be able to do something similar in the Max V, but it seems I can only access the UFM, not the CFM? Is there any way to access the CFM other than via (external) JTAG?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

In MAX series device, you cannot control CFM like EPCQ in other device, because CFM is an internal Flash. According to your description, I think the function of real-time ISP can help u. Please refer such link and we can discuss the details.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683786/current/real-time-isp.html

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
FLembcke
Novice

Thanks for the very quick reply.

given your information, I'll need to control the JTAG pins (from an external source, we got a microcontroller which could receive the image via ethernet and then send it via JTAG) to remotely program the MAX5 (we are looking for a solution to apply an update for devices once they are shipped / where we cannot connect a JTAG probe / byte blaster anymore).

I believe this got easier in MAX10 devices, correct?

Kind regards,
Felix

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

That is correct, because in MAX10, it can use the On-Chip Flash Intel® FPGA IP Core and do Remote system upgrade. Here is two link of example design for MAX10's RSU, one is for uart, the other is for I2C.

UART:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design-example/714833/intel-max-10-fpga-intel-max-10-fpga-remote-system-upgrade-rsu-over-uart-for-the-nios-ii-processor-design-example.html

I2C : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design-example/714746/intel-max-10-fpga-i2c-remote-system-update-design-example.html

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
FLembcke
Novice

Since changing to MAX10 would need a complete redesign of our PCB I'll try to focus on a solution using the existing MAX5 design.
I found some valuable information about JTAG here:
1.7.2. Steps to Port the Jam STAPL Byte-Code Player (intel.com)

So from what I can grasp, the steps would be:
Convert MAX5 .pof file to .jbc 
Transfer .jbc file to our microcontroller which has a direct connection (via GPIO) to the MAX5 JTAG pins
Use the Jam STAPL Byte-Code Player (C code / library) to program the MAX5

Are there any additional steps I missed?

Kind regards,
Felix

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

I wanted to check if you have any further questions or concerns. If not, I will go ahead and mark this issue as resolved.

Additionally, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to fill out our survey. Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve our support quality.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

The Jam player is similar to a JTAG-based driver. If you intend to perform operations on CFM, including programming, verification, and blank check, it can be achieved using JAM + JAMPLAYER. I believe this idea is feasible.

Furthermore, I've noticed that Intel has released the code for Jamplayer this year, which you can download. You can port the relevant code to the microcontroller. Here is the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software-kit/813264/jam-stapl-player.html

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

I wanted to check if you have any further questions or concerns. If not, I will go ahead and mark this issue as resolved.

Additionally, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to fill out our survey. Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve our support quality.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
FLembcke
Novice

It'll take some time until we can implement the interface, but I think all necesary questions have been answered. Thank You for Your valuable help and insight.

Kind regards,
Felix

0 Kudos