FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5975 Discussions

Max 10 FPGA Temperature issue

Gouri
Beginner

Hello

We are using max 10 FPGA (10M16SCU169I7G) industrial grade- working temperature ranges from -40°C to 100°C

When the board is powered UP, FPGA temperature reaches to 40 °C without programming.

And after Programming temperature reaches to 42°C (sometimes 43°C to 50 °C).

It means temperature is almost 16 °C to 17 °C higher than ambient temperature.

Our project needs to test at 85°C and at that time FPGA temperature goes above 100 °C.

Which is not supposed to good for FPGA working.

So Is there any setting or IP related any settings in quartus prime to reduce FPGA temperature.

Regards,

Gouri

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
device power dissipation is caused by static losses + switching activity, Early-Power-Estimator tool and Quartus Power Analyzer can give you some insights.

There are few options to reduce power consumption of an existing design, e.g. reduce clock frequency of parts with biggest logic utilization.

You can also consider to improve heat dissipation through ground balls by providing VIPPO pads and continuous ground planes if not already present.
0 Kudos
Gouri
Beginner

Hii,

We are using 20MHz Clock for design

Also tried to reduce clock from PLL up to 5MHz still temperature remains same i.e. 40°C

Also I will attaching power report for your reference 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,

according to report, it's mostly static core power dissipation causing the heating. I'm a bit surprized about large static power dissipation reported by power analyzer.

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Along with recommendations from community member FvM, I would encourage you to go through following links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683400/18-0/power-management-overview.html, especially section 2.3.

Intel® MAX® 10 FPGA Early Power Estimator (EPE) Design Tool

You should also think of have a proper cooling solution for the device. The EPE can help you with some recommendations for that.

Hope this helps.

Regards

0 Kudos