FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5961 Discussions

Setting Up Intel Cyclone 10 GX FPGA for Host->FPGA->Laptop Communication

rogerrabbit
Beginner

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the FPGA realm and recently acquired the Intel Cyclone 10 GX Development Kit.

As part of a hobby of mine, I've successfully developed my own Windows 11 kernel driver. Now, I'm exploring ways to enhance its performance by integrating it with an FPGA board.

Specifically, I'm working on an image processing project. My objective is to program the FPGA board to access the host memory from a different computer.

Suppose the board is connected via PCI-Express to the host machine. In that case, I need to be able to control the FPGA and perform read/write operations on the host memory from an external device (in this case my Win11 laptop), using interfaces like USB, Ethernet, or any other available option that can provide sufficiently high speeds..

My question now is whether Intel or any affiliated company offers a ready-made solution to expedite this process, allowing me to avoid writing a new driver from scratch. Also, do I need any additional equipment, or can I achieve it simply with the USB connection and PCI-E FPGA.

I would appreciate any guidance you can provide to point me in the right direction... 

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

For documentation on how to program Agilex FPGAs, you can refer to this link : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/768977/2023-2-1/programming-the-fpga-device-38373.html

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
rogerrabbit
Beginner

Hi Farabi,

I know how to program FPGA.. that is not my question. 

I am specifically looking for a PCI-E IP core that would allow for physical host memory access, on a windows 11 machine. This means I also need the windows 11 driver. 

Is there any pre-built IP core available that would let me do this, and provide windows 11 driver (signed)? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi rogerrabbit,

You can find documentation on the memory read/write operations of PCI Express interfaces. Please referthe following resource:

Intel® Arria® 10 and Intel® Cyclone® 10 GX Avalon® Streaming Interface for PCI Express* User Guide

Additionally, there's also some similar forum post regarding the driver you're seeking out:

Windows 10/11 PCIe Driver for Cyclone V Memory Mapped design

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi,

I wish to follow up with you about this case. Do you have any further questions on this matter? 

Otherwise, this thread will be idling and marked as inactive, thus it will be transitioned to community support because there is no update received from you in a while.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

We would like to inform you that since we haven't received a response from you regarding our previous notification, we will now move this discussion to community support. If you have any new questions or concerns, we recommend starting a new thread to receive assistance from Intel experts. Alternatively, if you don't have any further inquiries, our community users will be here to help you in this thread. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos