FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5937 Discussions

SoC Cyclone V : FPGA full configuration from HPS FPGA Manager, MSEL issue ?

WabG
Beginner

Dear support,

We are using a SoC cyclone V and want to configure the FPGA portion from HPS through the FPGA manager.

We have followed the procedure described in HPS Technical Reference Manual (cv_5v4 - 2022.11.14) but it didn't succeed while all the registers status correspond to the procedure.

The main difference is the MSEL configuration: in our system MSEL[4:0] = 0x13 and this is not an appropriate configuration following the HPS manual but, in the same time, the register FPGAManager.Ctrl specify the bit EN to take the control over the configuration:

WabG_0-1713421997407.png

My question is : is it possible to configure the FPGA with a wrong MSEL setting ?

Regards,

WabG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi WabG,

To configure the FPGA, you will need to perform 'bridge enable' cmd in Uboot.

Try to run bridge enable then only configure/load the FPGA bitstream.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
WabG
Beginner

Aik Eu,

Even with the bridge enable command, the FPGA isn't configured under U-Boot.

But, with a good MSEL setting, the FPGA load is successful.

Do you confirm, it is possible to use the FPGA manager to load the FPGA portion even with a wrong MSEL setting ?

How the bit enable of control register of FPGA Manager should be interpreted ?

En bit = 1 : "FPGA Manager drives configuration inputs to the CB. Used when HPS configures the FPGA."

My interpretation was "FPGA manager" bypasses the MSEL setting when the bit is set to 1.

Regards,

WabG

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi WabG,

I not able to confirm about the particular MSEL thing. By default, simply booting up from qspi or sd card, we dont purposely do any changes to the MSEL settings, the FPGA configuration still can be loaded with quartus programmer or using FPGA load cmd in Uboot. I suggest working with the default working settings then only try to make the changes in order to see if that affects the FPGA configuration load operation.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
FPGA Manager specification, Table 4.1 is pretty clear about this point, I believe. FPGA configuration from HPS is only supported for FPPx32 and FPPx16 MSEL setting.
0 Kudos