FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Unique chip id Longevity

RonSegev
Beginner
I'm using the UG-ALTCHIPID IP (ID 683336) for creating unique chip id to identify the device. I'm using it on Cyclone V device but plan to use other supported devices.
I wonder if the unique chip id will be the same every time even after a long period of time (20 years).
Does the technology of the unique chip id based on some PUF technology (which varies over time) or an unstable internal memory device?
Does it depends on the Operating Temperture(Commercial, Industrial or Automotive) of the device?
Thank you very much
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please see below for my answer:

1. Unique chip ID will be the same even after a long period.
  2. No, the unique chip ID is not based on PUF technology. The chip ID information is embedded into silicon.
  3. No, unique chip ID does not depends on operation temperature. If you get different chipID, it might be due to the JTAG TDO signal is not clean, thus the interpretation of the binary number of the chipID is different.

Regards,

Aiman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please see below for my answer:

1. Unique chip ID will be the same even after a long period.
  2. No, the unique chip ID is not based on PUF technology. The chip ID information is embedded into silicon.
  3. No, unique chip ID does not depends on operation temperature. If you get different chipID, it might be due to the JTAG TDO signal is not clean, thus the interpretation of the binary number of the chipID is different.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Any further information needed for this case? Else, I will proceed to close this case for now.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
RonSegev
Beginner
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos