FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

What is the difference between USB-Blaster and USB-Blaster II?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the difference between USB-Blaster and USB-Blaster II? 

What embedded USB-Blaster ( USB-Blaster or USB-Blaster II ) is installed in Cyclone IV GX FPGA Development Kit?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The main advantage of USB-Blaster II is that it's faster: It supports USB 2.0; it has a 24Mhz JTAG clock and it has an additional fast parallel interface which SystemConsole uses to communicate with the target. It can read/write memory about 100 times faster than the original USB-Blaster (measured figures, not theoretical). 

USB-Blaster II was first shipped on the V series of boards (Stratix V, Cyclone V etc) so I'm afraid it isn't on the Cyclone IV GX.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to find a USB-Blaster II, but i couldn't find it, i could find USB-Blaster (without "II"), even in the official website of Altera I couldn't,I want to use it with a Cyclone V , I found only with this PL-USB-BLASTER-RCN 

is this the USB-Blaster II??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

is this the USB-Blaster II?? 

--- Quote End ---  

No. USB-Blaster II is only available as embedded function of some newer development kits, not as a programming cable. I guess, Altera will switch sometime to an USB-Blaster II cable, but not yet.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

... and it has an additional fast parallel interface which SystemConsole uses to communicate with the target..... 

--- Quote End ---  

I doubt at least this function (if this is a hardware parallel port - i.e. "USB to Parallel" function) will be useful on Programming cables as the cable (and the target if using this interface) would no longer just need to have the 10pin JTAG but also a parallel header making the cable bulky.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your answers, I've check the schematic and I saw there is a Jtag connector and above of it says USB Blaster Programming Header, so i only need it to program, right?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the USB Blaster II still only available as an embedded function? I know this was true a year ago but the user guide for the Blaster II is on altera.com

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf 

Is Altera planning a release for the Blaster II as a calbe?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The USB-Blaster II cable is available now in some countries. I am not sure why it isn't on the Altera website but please contact your local Altera office for details.

0 Kudos