FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5932 Discussions

how to program epcq device on starter vino kit of cyclone v gt device

SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi Team,

We are using cyclone v gt eval kit. we tried to check the flash programming of our design in eval board.

we create the design with nios,ocm,jtag,serial flash controller ip(legacy epcs/epcq controller) and generated the flash files. we tried to flash the device using nioss ii command shell.

But we could not able to program the core flash and epcs signature read failiure occurs.

so we tried serial flash loader instead of epcq controller and program jic file to epcq device. Works fine.

but we need to check the epcq with flash files.

How to configure that, can you please give solution for this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have even generated flash files and programmed through quartus_pgm command but i am getting this following error:

SERMASWATHIKA_0-1710939367095.png

please give solution for this.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

"But we could not able to program the core flash and epcs signature read failiure occurs."

-What is the error message? Please provide the screenshot of this failure.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any update per my previous response?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi ,

initially i have used "nios2-flash-programmer.exe --epcs --base=0x0  epcscode_test_mem_core.flash" this command to program the epcq in 22.1 quartus tool.

At that time i got epcs signature read failiure error. After that i get to know that, nios2-flash command is EOL. 

So i have tried quartus_pgm command to program the epcq now.

In that programming command, i got this following error:

SERMASWATHIKA_0-1711444495731.png

attahced the screenshot for clearview .

Please clear one point that can i use this quartus_pgm command to program the epcq? 

this can be used in cyclone v gt kit which uses Max II for configuration

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

do you have any response for the above information? if any please respond

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

-quartus_pgm command can be use to program EPCQ.

-Can you try to use latest quartus version 23.1?

-Make sure to run as administrator: Quartus Tool's "Windows Authorization" to Administrator

-Can you share your design file in .qar so we can reproduce the error?

-You are using windows or Linux?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

i am using windows not linux

quartus tool windows authorization --i will check

i will share the project archieve on monday

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi ,

I have attached the project zip file in this attachment, facing access violation error when we used to program epcq with flash files.

Please check and give your response.

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Apologize for the delay in response as I was gathering some information from our internal team.

Which IP are you using for the EPCQ? Is it the GSFI IP?

If yes, then if .jic is already successful, then you can run TCL script to check the register values of the GSFI, for e.g CR, Device ID.

Attached is the TCL script to run in command console, that will output something like this (make sure to change the base address at line #4):

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi , 

I am using Serial Flash Controller II Intel FPGA IP ,

i could not find any tcl script in your previous reply.

Can you please tell in detail regarding tcl script?

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

NurAiman_M_Intel_0-1712305604252.png

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi ,

Can you please tell in detail..which tcl file i need to run..i am waiting for your response

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I have attaced the TCL script in my previous response. Please check the forum thread again. There is two response provided, one of the response contains a photo of the TCL scripts.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please ignore my previous response.

For Nios II, we have the example design for Nios II + EPCQ boot you could follow:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/processor-application-execute-in-place-90927.html

That design uses .jic, which will include the .hex(convert .elf of the application) and .sof (Quartus project). So you only need to program the .jic and does not need to manually program any other files.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos