Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
396 Discussions

Computer keeps crashing during gaming and throws this code

TheOnlyVnz
Beginner

Hi, I've recently built a new pc, and everytime I play games I keep crashing. The system specs are i7 13700k, RTX 4080S, M.2 990 pro, 64 gb of Corsair vegeance 6kMHz, and all on a b760 gaming plus wifi from MSI. I should add I've rolled back nvidia drivers using DDU, used the windows 11 suggested driver after DDU and the lastest driver released on april 3rd, 2024; scf/scannow (nothing); Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (not sure which one of these last two commands throws it but one throws an error 87).

Here is the code from event viewer for the last time I've played PUGB:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2506, time stamp: 0xdef1fe51

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0x0x4514

Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA8F9659D41A19

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: d10d38db-1496-4d88-ad61-d5433404a0ff

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

It is getting very frustrating. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, TheOnlyVnz.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you're having with your new PC. It sounds like you've already taken several troubleshooting steps to address the issue. 

Considering the information provided, the faulting application appears to be dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager), which is a core component of Windows responsible for managing visual effects and rendering. The exception code 0xc0000005 indicates an access violation, which could suggest a variety of underlying issues. Let us try to verify the processor if it's not failing by performing the following steps:

Moreover, I would like to go a step further and confirm details such as graphics drivers, and system errors. The Intel SSU tool can gather such details about your system configuration that may help me root cause of this issue.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Von M.
Intel Customer Support Technician

TheOnlyVnz
Beginner

Hi Von,

I have run all the programs you have suggested the  Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool did not give any erros, just said passed. Following I ran a CPU stress test for 15 mins to see if anything would come up and it only said power throttle in orange text in the command box, I would guess that's an error. Lastly, I ran the intel SSU tool which I have provided the TXT file below. I appreciate the help!

Vnz

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, TheOnlyVnz.

I appreciate your quick response and for diligently running the recommended programs. It's reassuring that the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool passed without any errors. Regarding the CPU stress test, the indication of power throttle in orange text may indeed suggest an issue. Your initiative to provide the Intel SSU tool report is appreciated, and it will help us further diagnose the problem. Let's review the report to identify any underlying issues. 

Furthermore, I'd like to inform you that I'll be sending an email your way shortly as it contains some confidential information.

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos