Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
388 Discussions

Screen Flickering when playing games using vulkan or opengl

jdanny
Beginner
Hello, I have a notebook with an i5-1135g7, win10, iris Xe graphics and, as the title says, I am experiencing crashes and flickering when I try to play games that uses vulkan and/or opengl. Specifically, when trying to use citra, yuzu, or rpcs3 emulators. It's always the same, the fps suddenly drops to 0, emulator closes, and the screen will start flickering.

The flickering only stops if I close the notebook lid, restart or disable the iris xe driver from the device manager (but if I activate it again the flickering happens again, so this is definitely not the fault of the emulators or games, but rather the iris Xe graphics driver).

The system came with driver version 31.0.101.3889, today I have 31.0.101.5085 and this keeps happening. Also this notebook is from a generic brand called "enova" that does not offer drivers to download, so I hope I can find a solution here.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello jdanny,

I hope you're doing fine.

We understand that you are having issues when playing games that use Vulkan and/or OpenGL.

In order for me to isolate the issue and provide the best solution, kindly provide the following information:

When did the issue start?

• Was the system working fine before?
  • Have you changed anything about the system that led to the issue?
  • Please provide the particular games where the issues occurred.
  • If possible, please also provide the video showing the issue that we currently have.
  • Please provide us with your SSU, as it would really help us if we could get more information about your system.

Kindly do the following:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

2. Open the application, tick Everything, and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the text file here.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,  

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Jdanny,

We are checking in with you on the screen flickering issue we are having in case you have any additional queries or require further explanation. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
jdanny
Beginner
Hello ACarmona, i didn't mentioned it before because I really don't think it matters but the notebook originally came with windows 11, but i didn't liked it so I downgraded to 10 with a clean install, and used the intel driver assistant to install the Iris graphics driver. I am aware 10 and 11 are the same thing but with a different ui, and in my case i don't like 11's ui. Tomorrow i will try to upload a video with the problem, and regarding in what games it happens, it's more noticeable with Persona 5 Royal under yuzu, because the screen starts flickering a little after the atlus and P-Studio logos right after booting the game.

Also, I asked on yuzu's discord and people mention this happens because something is broken in Intel's driver shaders compilation, and a developer mentioned they reported this problem to intel but it looks like this is not fixed yet...
0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Jdanny,

In order to further investigate the flickering issue we are experiencing, could you please let us know if this problem also happened with Windows 11?

By the way, we will wait for the video that you will be containing about the issue that is happening in the game. And also, please don't forget to share your SSU, as it will be a great help to us when trying to find the troubleshooting steps.

Kindly do the following:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

2. Open the application, tick Everything, and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the text file here.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Jdanny,

We are checking in with you on the screen flickering issue we are having in case you have any additional queries or require further explanation. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Jdanny,

We are checking in with you on the screen flickering issue that we have, as we have not heard any response from you.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Jdanny,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos