Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20704 Discussions

3 monitors connected, but 2 are active, the 3rd monitor is forced inactive

dturovskiy
Beginner

When I'm trying to use 3 monitors, 2 are active and the third monitor is forced inactive, I've already tried updating the graphics driver, reducing the resolution of the active display, using Win+P to set it to extend, and none of that worked.

When I try to configure the display extension directly from Start -> Settings -> System -> Display, I get the error “Failed to save display settings. Try a different combination of these settings."

I dual-boot with Linux that perfectly supports triple monitors with no problems, which leads me to believe it's a software lock in Windows, I want to know how to get around this software lock.

My processor: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64899/intel-core-i7-3610qm-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-30-ghz.html

And from Intel info: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025673/graphics.html

• System Model: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM
  • iGPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  • Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
  • dGPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800M Series
  • Driver Model: WDDM 2.0
  • 1st monitor: HP M27fe FHD 1920x1080 - DisplayPort => HDMI
  • 2nd monitor: HP 24f 1920x1080 - HDMI => HDMI
  • 3nd monitor: built-in laptop monitor 1920x1080
  • Drivers:

a. for Intel, I used all the latest and previous drivers that I found in the Internet;

b. for AMD I used both the latest and the oldest drivers for Windows, as well as intermediate versions of the drivers.

On the laptop itself, I have 2x DysplayPorts and 1x HDMI port.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As I said in my response to your other post, have you tried using the two DisplayPorts (i.e. forget that HDMI port)?

...S

0 Kudos
dturovskiy
Beginner

Hello, I received the second cable today and tried to connect both monitors via Displayport, still the same.
The situation is as follows: I have two Displayport => HDMI cables. And two outputs on the laptop Displayport.

Everything works as follows on Windows:
1. Or built-in monitor + monitor 1
2. Or built-in monitor + monitor 2
3. Or monitor 1 + monitor 2

All monitors are defined normally in the device manager

On Linux - all three monitors work simultaneously, regardless of the connected ports. Displayport => HDMI, HDMI => HDMI. I can add screenshots from additional graphics and monitor management utilities.

0 Kudos