Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20642 Discussions

Arc A770 16gb HDMI static screen

Rocketboy
Novice

Hi Community,

I'm happy with A770's  performance. However, my main display LG C2 connected to the HDMI port, screen turns to static occasionally, it goes away after restart my computer, and it really bothers me.

I tried a different HDMI 2.1 cable. updated BIOS, drivers, and TV firmware. didn't help.

I think the GPU is not overheating since I have another monitor connected to the DP which has no problem at all.

I'm wondering if this issue causes by the faulted HDMI hardware parts or the graphics driver. I need to go get a replacement if the HDMI port is bad on this one.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a display issue when using your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics. Please let us know the following information:

1.-Does the same issue happens if you use a different HDMI device on the TV? Have you tried to connect the HDMI cable directly from the motherboard port to the TV instead of the ARC HDMI port?

2.-Does the same issue happens on different monitors or screens?

3.-Is this a random issue? Or, Are you able to trigger it by following certain steps?

4.-Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the log file.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Rocketboy
Novice

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for your reply!

1. Yes, I have a PS5 connected to this TV, and it doesn't have any problem. Also, I was using a Gtx 1060 with the same setup to this TV and nothing happened like this.  It was connected to the ARC HDMI port.

2. It doesn't. When it turned to static screen, my another ViewSonic monitor that connected to Display port still showed every thing good.

3. Yes it happened randomly. I remember it happened twice when I was using VLC media player to play music, once play video.

Once was using Chrome to watch online video.

And the first time run 3Dmark, but second run succeed.

4. Please see the log file attached.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

I appreciate all the information that you provided. Please let's try the following:

• Try our latest BETA driver, version 30.0.101.4090, and install it through a clean installation.
  • Try increasing the refresh rate on your screen or try different configurations, like 30Hz, 60Hz, 90Hz, and 120Hz

If the issue continues, please let me know the following information:

• Is Resizable BAR enabled on your system?
  • Are you using an Extended Display configuration? If so, does the same issue happen if you only use the HDMI screen?
  • By any chance are you able to test the Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics with a different HDMI screen/monitor?
  • What is the resolution that you are using? Does the same issue happen on different higher or lower resolutions?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Rocketboy
Novice

Hi Hugo,

• I will try the new driver and set refresh rate at 60Hz.
  • Yes the Resizable BAR is enabled from the BIOS.
  • Yes I'm using the Extended Display configuration and yes it also happened when I only used HDMI screen.
  • I can try to connect to the ViewSonic monitor with HDMI cable for testing. 
  • I'm using 3840*2160. I haven't tested it with other resolution settings.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

Thank you for sharing this information with us. Please complete the missing troubleshooting steps and let us know the outcome as they will be very useful to continue diagnosing your issue. Just to summarize you will need to do the following:

• Try the latest driver shared in my previous post and set different refresh rates on your display.
  • Test different resolutions
  • Test another HDMI monitor.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know the results of the missing troubleshooting steps and if you still need assistance with this issue.

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Rocketboy
Novice

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for following up.

I updated to the 30.0.101.4090 driver as you recommended and connected to my ViewSonic VP2785-4k (HDMI 1.4) ran with 4k and 60 Hz for 2 days and no static screen happened.

Now, I've updated the driver to 31.0.101.4091 and switched back to LC tv (HDMI 2.1) and running with 4k 120Hz. So far no static screen happened.

I will keep updating this post if anything happen again.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Rocketboy
Novice

Hi  Hugo,

Unfortunately, the static screen happened again on LG tv today while I was using Lightroom and Photoshop for my works, also VLC was playing music.😞

Now I'm pretty sure it happens if I use dual monitor.

I can do a last try with just using LG tv on 4k 120Hz setting. The purpose of getting the A770 is it has HDMI 2.1 that I can Max the graphic performance on LG C2, and I don't think I will run any lower setting with this GPU. Also, I would like to use both of my monitors for my works.

I hope we can find out the problem and solution for this issue before the 30 days return and exchange period ends. 

Thank you for your support,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

Thank you for confirming this information. It is unfortunate that the issue returned. At least we were able to confirm that this is happening only when using extended desktop mode.

I would like you to do one more test before we further research this issue. I see that you are setting an HDMI resolution of 4K120hz, based on the Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics specifications website the maximum resolution will be 4096 x 2160@60Hz. Let's please set a lower resolution on both monitors and check if the issue persists. Again this is only for testing before we continue our research on the issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Rocketboy
Novice

Hi Hugo,

I will give a try on extend desktop mode with 2560x1440 on both monitors.

Could you confirm that the A770 supports 3840X2160 120Hz via HDMI port since I read a post from the community which says the A7x0 series cards should support 3840X2160 120Hz via HDMI. I'm a little confused here.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/HDMI-2-1-UHD-144Hz-Arc-A750-A770/m-p/1452946

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

We know this is important and I will double-check the supported resolution for you. I will post back once I have the information available also, please share the outcome of the troubleshooting with us after testing lower resolutions on extended displays configuration.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

After checking your question about the supported resolution, this will depend on different variables such as connections, monitors, and bandwidth, however, the official information is the following:

• A Max Resolution of 4096 x 2160@60Hz through HDMI
  • A Max Resolution of 7680 x 4320@60Hz through DP

Please let us know the outcome of the troubleshooting after testing lower resolutions on your system.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Rocketboy
Novice

Hi Hugo,

Thank you again for your support.

I no longer own the card. I only set 1440p testing for two days, nothing happened. However, for my works I do need a GPU that can support stable 4k resolutions.

Besides the static screen issue, I also experienced black screen when my PC waked from sleep mode (HDMI port). GPU render not support in Keyshot.

It is glad to see more GPU options on the market, but I couldn't get around it for my works. Looking for ward to seeing future products.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Rocketboy

We really appreciate your feedback and are sorry that you had to return your Intel® Arc™ A770 GPU. If no issue happened with a lower resolution this could have been a bandwidth issue, however, we understand that you needed a faster resolution for this problem.

In regard to the black screen issue when trying to wake up the system, this is a known issue that we are currently working on and it is mentioned in our driver, release notes:

"System may hang while waking up from sleep. May need to power cycle the system for recovery."

In this case, we will proceed to close the thread as the hardware is no longer available for troubleshooting. Please open a new thread if you have further questions as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
SamA923
Beginner

I have the same issue with the HDMI port on my new A770 16gb Limited Edition card. Have 2 Monoprice 32" 4K 60Hz monitors. The one connected to the card's Display Port works fine, the one connected to the card's HDMI port cuts in and out, shows static, then a black screen, rinse & repeat.

Swapped the cables & monitors around, same issue. Connected to the HDMI on an LG 4K 60Hz TV, same thing. But if I connect either the TV or one of the monitors with a HDMI to Display Port cable to one of the Display Ports on the A770 it works fine. Running the latest 4146 driver. i5-12400 CPU, ASRock B760 board, Win 11 Pro.

As I will be using this system connected to that LG TV using the HDMI to DP cable is fine but wanted to say this issue is one I have seen mentioned in a couple forums online. Don't know if it's hardware, firmware or what.

EDIT- just updated to the latest 4148 beta, no change.

Sam

0 Kudos
shilent
Beginner

I'm having the same problem using the HDMI port on my A770.  Crashes to a static looking screen and I'm forced to reboot.  Has been happening since I've owned this GPU in December 2022.  It seems to be random, sometimes twice in 10 minutes, sometimes only once in two weeks.

Doesn't seem to be happening using the Displayport.  I tried a Displayport to HDMI adapter to my LG C2, and although the problem doesn't seem to happen, I lost VRR which is a deal breaker.

0 Kudos