Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20714 Discussions

Arc a750 Displayport 1.2 4k@60hz blackscreen

D3cay
Beginner

Intel Arc a750 LE with driver 31.0.101.5445

Asus MG24UQ

Windows 10 22H2

no adapters or splitters or anything else

Just like I've seen with several other threads with a Asus 24" 4k monitor, my displayport has not worked with dp 1.2 since I updated my drivers last July of 2023. The screen stays on and backlit with no display as well as locking up all the monitor OSD buttons. I have to unplug the dp cable to get back the OSD for options. Using it to change the DP to 1.1 lets the screen work, but limited to 1440p.

When this initially happened, I was in the middle of updating drivers in July of 2023. I was using the hdmi to connect to a second display, and could see both screens working normally, but when the driver installer then went on to do the (unrequested and unsolicited) hdmi fimware update, both screens went off, but then the one on hdmi came back, and the one on DP came up black and hasn't worked since.

I initially tried to uninstall the drivers and rollback to the ones I was using from April 2023, which didn't fix anything, because I believe this problem had something to do with the firmware update which older drivers wouldn't overwrite.

This was also the time when I also began experiencing the bug of hdmi being reported as DP. With that bug being reported as fixed with newer drivers, I was hopeful this also fixed the DP 1.2 problem, but alas no.

The cable I was using had been working fine since 2017 with a GTX 1070 @4k 60hz all the way though installing the ARC a750.

I've tried a different cable (even switching ends around)

I've tried reinstalling the GTX 1070 (which worked fine still at 4k@60hz)

I've tried days long (unplugged) power cycling of the card and the monitor

I've tried factory reset of the monitor

I've tried booting up using each of the different DP ports on the card

I've tried having windows use the other display on the hdmi port as the Primary while testing the different DP ports.

This is an issue I still see pop up every so often around the web, almost exclusively with ASUS or 24" 4k monitors.

Just leaving my troubleshooting here, hoping it someday gets fixed

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello D3cay, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. We want to take a look at this for you seeing that you have tried several steps but the issue still existed. Would you be able to share with us your SSU logs so we can check for possible errors? You also mentioned about a driver installer updated your hdmi firmware, may I please know the specific name of the software? Just to make sure we did not miss the steps you have taken, have you also tried using DDU? I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
D3cay
Beginner

"You also mentioned about a driver installer updated your hdmi firmware, may I please know the specific name of the software?"

>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

every single driver i've used since July of 2023 has had an hdmi firmware update included with the intel driver installer

"have you also tried using DDU?"

>> yes

Also just to make sure, I even ran windows updates this morning.

Still encountering black screen, backlight on, OSD not functional, when DP is set on the monitor to DP 1.2

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello D3cay, 

We will be checking this information internally for now and get back to you on this thread as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello D3cay, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon checking and coordinating with our team. We noticed that the BIOS version of your X570 Phantom Gaming 4 has several gaps before the latest version. As such, I highly recommend updating your BIOS two versions at a time to allow your system to gradually update. You may follow this example ( 4.30 to 4.50, 4.50 to 5.50, 5.50 to L5.61). You may follow this link for the files download. 

By the way, would you be able to test another monitor in your system? This will allow us to further isolate the issue. 

We also recommend following these steps seeing that you use an AMD CPU :

1.  disable SVM feature from BIOS settings:
  • To disable SVM feature, go to AdvancedSVM Mode, and click enable/disable AMD SVM.

If you need help navigating through the BIOS settings, we highly recommend contacting ASRock Support. 

You may check this article for reference: Black Screen, No Display Issue after Installing Intel® Arc Graphics Driver with AMD* Processor

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
D3cay
Beginner

Updated to 5.61, disabled SVM.... still getting backlit black screen with frozen OSD using DP 1.2. 

DP 1.1 works, just limited to 1440p.

I do not have a second DP capable display.

RE: article: I installed drivers from march 2023 and april 2023, and DP 1.2 at 2160p at 60hz  worked without issue until july's drivers.

For extra info: I can boot with the monitor set to DP 1.2 and see the UEFI/BIOS as well as the windows boot screen, it just goes black once the display drivers are loaded

As an aside: I did notice when unplugging the DP cable from the monitor, I got the OSD on for a couple of seconds and noticed it was trying to display 6708x191 at 255hz. I don't know if thats just a disconnection glitch or it means something else, but it was new.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello D3cay, 

I am sorry to hear about this results. For now, we will proceed in investigating this internally and get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello D3cay, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon coordination with my team and examination of the Arc graphics card, it has been evident that the DisplayPort (DP) ports are version 2.0. In light of this, we would like to clarify some details to aid in the diagnostic process:

1. Could you confirm whether the DisplayPort (DP) versions 1.1 and 1.2 are being referenced in relation to the monitor's settings? I understand there is a feature to alternate between them as per the manual.
  2. Would it be feasible to conduct a test using an alternative 4K monitor? This step could be instrumental in determining whether the display issue is isolated to the Asus MG24UQ model.

These clarifications will contribute significantly to isolating and resolving the display issue at hand.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
D3cay
Beginner

>>Could you confirm whether the DisplayPort (DP) versions 1.1 and 1.2 are being referenced in relation to the monitor's settings? I understand there is a feature to alternate between them as per the manual.

Using the OSD on the monitor, you can choose to set the DP port to 1.1 or 1.2.

>>Would it be feasible to conduct a test using an alternative 4K monitor?

Would it be feasible to send me one? /sarcasm

But again, the card was completely capable of sending 4k to my monitor over DP 1.2 (on the monitor) when I first received it.

Now the card is actively interfering with the monitor's OSD and screen, making the OSD unresponsive to buttons, while connected, when the monitor is set to DP 1.2 

0 Kudos