Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Arc a770 Blender Crashes

RossW
Beginner

Hi all, 

I recently bought an Arc A770 and was hoping to have much improved performance in Blender my 3d program of choice. After inserting the GPU I have faced a number of strange issues. 

For more information, I am completely up to date on my drivers (Version 31.0.101.4146) on the ArcControl and I'm running windows 10 with all the latest updates installed. I've also included a screenshot of my 'system information' part of the top is cutoff, but I have 6 cpu cores. Everything in my system was working normally, the only think I changed was my GPU from a asus 980 ti Strix to an Arc A770. 

The issue I am running into with Blender is that I would try opening the program, be greeted with a grey screen, then it would crash immediately. I did some searching online and found deleting the 'startup.blend' file would help it boot up. After doing that I was able to get to the main startup screen. There is an option to import previous settings from past versions of blender, however doing that would immediately crash the application. I decided to not click that button and move on, then when I started going through the program if I tried changing the render engine to 'cycles' then clicking 'gpu compute' it would crash immediately. I also tried going into the preferences and clicking 'system,' as soon as I clicked that, it would crash again. 

I then uninstalled Blender 3.4, and installed it with a fresh installer. Skipping the 'import blender 3.3 settings' I could load into blender, now select the 'system' tab, select my gpu under oneAPI, and even click GPU compute under the Cycles render engine. However everytime I click "rendered view" in the viewport menu, Blender will crash. Strangely Enough I can click render with the cycles engine, and produce a result, but cannot look at it in rendered view. 

The one issue I think it may is that I have not enabled Re-Bar. I had to update my BIOS to get that option, but in doing so wasn't able to boot to any drives because none of them are in the GPT format. I am currently in the process of backing up my files so I can do so. 

Will Blender cylces not work unless I'm using the Re-Bar setting? Or is there another issue?

Thanks, 

-Ross

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hugo_Intel

Hello RossW

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing crashes on Blender when using your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

Both Resizable BAR and GPT partitions are requirements for Intel® Arc™ GPUs to allow for the best performance and compatibility. So this might be the cause of the issues that you are experiencing. You can check the information in the following article:

Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics – Desktop Quick Start Guide

Reading your post I see that you are getting your system ready to make the corresponding changes for Resizable BAR and GPT partitions. Please let us know if the issues continue after these changes, if this is the case, please create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it. 

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello RossW

We would like to know if you were able to perform the corresponding updates to your system If so, please let us know if the issue was fixed or still persists.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello RossW

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos