Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20641 Discussions

Arc control performance tuning does not apply

Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am having an issue with a bug in the arc control performance tuning section where sometimes I GPU performance boost is set to a non-zero value and then set the value back by clicking apply when the slider is at 0, the actual value is not set back and my A770 limited will run above 2400MHz (which should be the max freq when the value is at 0) and lead to instability in graphics workload. This can be solved by clicking on the revert to default. But I think there is a small bug in that section.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

Could you you please share a short video showing this issue, so we can have a better understanding of the problem? Also, please let us know the Arc Control version installed on your system, you can check by going to the great icon on the top left corner and then go to system information.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

I cannot record a video at the moment but I can briefly tell you the procedure to repro the problem. Just trying to overclock(set a different value of the slider of GPU performance boost, and run the 3Dmark stress test(time spy). Then set it to 0 and run again. The 3D mark recorded higher than 2400MHz on the second run. Then revert to the default button and run 3D mark again and now it is normal.(All three runs need to set the Power limit to 228W). Is that clear enough?

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

Thank you for the information. Let me check if I got it right, so in summary, after you overclock the GPU if you return the performance boost slider to the 0 value and hit apply it will still act as if it were overclocked unless you hit the revert to defaults button, correct? Also, please share with us the Arc Control version you have installed, you can check it following the instructions from our previous post.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

Yes, that is exactly what I said, but I think the slider setting for OC should be 10 or something higher since low slider value may not change the freq. The version of the Arc Control is 

Bill_da_da_0-1703002203927.png

I am not sure if the problem will occur everytime, but it does occur multiple times on my machine(I have to drag the slider on a regular basis).

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue and share the needed information. Allow us to take a further look a this bug you are reporting as we might need to test it and check if it is reproducible from our side. We will post back with more information as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

We have tried to replicate the bug you reported, however, it was not reproduced when setting the performance boost slider to the 0 value it will never go above 2400Mhz at any point, same behavior when using the "revert to defaults" button, only when settings the performance boost value higher than 0 it will go over the 2400Mhz frequency. We follow your instructions to first overclock with the performance boost slider, run the benchmark, and move the slider to 0 and it works without issue. Note that this was tested with driver 31.0.101.5084.

We wanted to know if you modified any of the other overclocking sliders available like "GPU Core Power Limit", please let us know.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

My Power Limit is Set to 228W(max for limited edition). Others stays at default.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

I understand that you have the power limit slider set to the maximum of 228W, Do you always have the slider at the maximum, even when returning the performance boost slider to the 0 value without using the "revert to defaults: option?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

Please share with us the information we requested in our previous post, and let us know whether you always have the power limit slider set to 228W even after reverting the performance boost slider to the 0 value as this might be the reason why this issue was not reproduced from our side.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

Yes, I have always reset the power slider to 228W immediately after the reversion. 

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Bill_da_da

Thank you for the information. since this was not initially reported we tested at the default 190W power limit, we will check back if the issue happens when the power limit is set to 228W and will get back to you once there is more information.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @Bill_da_da 

We successfully reproduced the issue in our internal tests and it was reported to our Arc Control development team. 

I cannot promise any ETA for a fix or for a potential outcome, however rest assured there are still updates still on their way. Stay tuned and thank you for helping us improve our products.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

Bill_da_da
New Contributor I

Hi Ronald,

Glad to hear that, I will stay tuned with this thread and hope the fix will be there soon.

Thanks,

Bill Ge

0 Kudos