Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20641 Discussions

Attempted to update video driver and got display adapter drivers: 2 Video Controllers which displaced Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

LSter1
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T4300.

The Screen Res has a stretched look at 1024 x 768, and should be 1366 x 768 and does not respond to the f.lux lighting application.

The Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family driver is missing, and two video (one with VGA) drivers are in its place and won't completely uninstall/delete.

I've tried the latest Intel Driver Update Utility but it fails with an error code. I ran scans and cleaned up files with no problem.

I've tried to uninstall the video/VGA drivers but they reappear and try to reinstall upon every reboot, and then fail, but they are still present in Device Manager.

I also tried to install different variations of the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows 7-64, starting with the oldest version, but the install fails.

I also tried to just install the Chipset Family separately, and that fails as well.

The BIOS and Hi-Def Audio driver is up-to-date, and all the Windows updates recommended have been done.

I don't know what else to do here! Please help! Thanks!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Rosebud:

I would like to gather some information in order to address this matter, so please download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, and attach it, with this report I will be able to confirm some of that information.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LSter1
Beginner

Thanks for your timely reponse, Amy.

As you can see, there are 2 Video adapters under the Display Adapters where there should be the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, just like it looks in an identical laptop that I have here at home. When I was trying to update drivers in my daughter's Inspiron1545, I have to say that on the Download & Drivers page, it does not warn that the optional updates might not install properly when there are other (Similar?) drivers present. Actually, there is VERY little guidance on how to select the correct drivers. Also important are what order the drivers should be installed, and one should have that info right on the same page, not somewhere else, or at least having a very visible link to that type of info is important.

It's interesting that the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver software was not present before it was successfully installed the other day (it shows in the Control Panel Programs and Features, but the Chipset driver does NOT show up in Device Manager under Display Adapters. Every time I reboot, the Driver Software Installation tries to install those 2 Video Controllers, but fails and I get an error message (see Print Screen of Device Manager and the error msg below report).

The screen resolution is not right either as I mentioned in the original query.

Thanks! ~ Laura

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium(6.1.7601 Build 7601)

Physical Memory (Installed): 4 GB

Processor : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz

System Type: x64-based PC

Display Adapter(s): Video Controller 8.15.10.2302

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) 8.15.10.2302

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: 0G848F

Network Adapter(s): Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card 5.30.21.0

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller 11.22.3.9

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter 6.1.7600.16385

Disk(s): Generic- Multi-Card USB Device 0.0 bytes (available) 6.1.7601.19133

TOSHIBA MK5055GSX 341.48 GB (available) 6.1.7601.19133

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I apologize for the inconvenience, please try installing the following driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22167/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-64-Windows-Vista-64-exe-?product=81507 Download Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver, Windows 7* 64, Windows Vista* 64 (exe) following this method http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005474.html How to Manually Install a Graphics Driver in Windows 7*

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LSter1
Beginner

Hi again, Amy

So I followed the driver installation as it directed. The graphics driver would not install because only the video controllers dropped down, nothing else. So I took some screen shots to show you what it looked like. Also, the mobile express chipset update is there and keeps trying to install, but fails each time. Also the video controllers keep trying to install, so the computer knows that they're not supposed to go, or be, where they're trying to install, but they won't budge when I try to uninstall them from where they are presently, so that install fails too. The Graphics driver application has been in the Programs & Features section from an earlier date. So I'm stumped as to how this happened when all I did was to try to update the chipset family which caused this fiasco! Here are the screen shots:

This screen shot below shows all of the updates that were successful in installing, except for the Express Chipset Family which windows is trying to install. Then when it fails, Windows does not try it again until there are more updates that need to be installed. I changed the settings so I can choose the downloads myself because I don't want Windows to sneak 10 in by me. It really irks me that they are pushing 10 on Windows 7 users when they know it causes problems and has not been tested for it. Three more shots below - Thanks again Amy! ~ Laura

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Laura, I apologize for the delay.

Try unstalling the current driver version installed with these steps;

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Once done, try one more time installing the driver mentioned in post # 3.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/103232 Rosebud:

Were you able to follow my suggestion?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos