Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20641 Discussions

Black borders arround fullscreen games | Intel Iris Xe

Kaloyan-Donev
Beginner

I am using integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics with an Intel i5-1145G7 (Not overclocked) in my Laptop (Dell Latitude 5420).

The laptop’s display has a resolution of 1920x1080.

I also have a second display connected trough HDMI with a resolution of 1366x768.

When I open a fullscreen game (not borderless) with a lower resolution than my laptop’s monitor resolution and the second monitor is disconnected, everything works fine.

However, If I connect my second display and I run the same game with the same settings I now have black borders around the game window.

I have tried a different HDMI cable, changing monitor settings, updating my GPU drivers, uninstalling the GPU driver in safe mode and then installing them in normal Windows but the issue still persists.

Some games I have tried are War Thunder, Fortnite and Minecraft, but I have the same problem in every single fullscreen game I try.

Even if I change the resolution of the second monitor to 1920x1080 it doesn't work.

I don't run the monitor in 1920x1080 when using it normally, because the picture becomes pixelated (it is intended behaviour for this monitor, not a GPU problem or some kind of software issue).

I didn't have this problem before with the same games and the same settings.

Does someone have any ideas of how I can fix it?

I have provided pictures of the problem.

My full PC configuration:

Dell Latitude 5420

Intel Core i5-1145G7

16GB RAM

One display (Internal) with a resolution of 1920x1080

A second display (LG 24TK410V-PZ) with a resolution of 1366x768.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kaloyan-Donev, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance omn this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

When did you purchase the laptop?

When did the black borders issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the second display to the computer?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Additionally, please provide the Intel® graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Kaloyan-Donev
Beginner

I purchased my laptop on 7 June 2022.

The black borders issue started around one week ago when I tired to launch an really old version of the game “il-2 sturmovik” from around 1995. The game started to load and the black borders where there, but then the game crashed. I don’t know if the black borders were cause by the crash of this game or something else, but after I created this post I ran Windows DISM and SFC but that didn’t solve the issue.

Apart from probably updating my driver and launching the old version of “il-2 sturmovik” I did not make any other hardware or software changes.

I am using Windows 11 Insider Build.

The settings screen shows:

Edition  Windows 11 Pro

Version 22H2

Installed on         ‎6/‎18/‎2022

OS build               22623.1325

Experience         Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

I am not using any adaptor to connect my second display to my computer. Just an HDMI cable from the HDMI port of my PC to the HDMI port of the second display.

The problem happens in home environments, because I only use this laptop at home.

I have attached the SSU and Intel graphics reports.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kaloyan-Donev, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information shown in the SSU document, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 31.0.101.4146, which is provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-whql-windows.html?wapkw=xe%2520graphics

It is important to mention that, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on Dell's website and the latest graphics driver they have available is version 31.0.101.3959, A12. Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=rgvn2&oscode=w2021&productcode=latitude-5420-laptop

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

If the problem persists after that, then try a clean installation this time of Intel® graphics driver version 31.0.101.3790:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

We also recommend to get in contact directly with Dell Support to make sure the BIOS is up to date or to gather the instructions on how to update it:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Kaloyan-Donev
Beginner

I tried to install the driver from Dell's website by first uninstalling the graphics driver trough device manager and installing the Dell driver.

I first had to uninstall the device from device manager, because Dell's driver wizard doesn't have a clean install option.

At first the driver wizard always crashed when I clicked Install, but after 3 attempts I waited a bit and got a Driver Installation successful message, but the issue still persist and now all the letters in full screen games are messed up, so I am reverting to the old Intel driver that I downloaded trough the Intel Driver and Support Assistant. I also checked the BIOS version and I have the latest one.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kaloyan-Donev, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue still persists after following the troubleshooting steps provided previously.

We will do further research on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution for this scenario. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaloyan-Donev, I just received an update on this smatter.

Based on SSU, you are using Windows* 11 build 22623 (Insider build version), the official latest version build is 22621, could you please test the machine with an official version?

Just to be clear, the black borders are in the laptop display when the second monitor is connected, it does not happen on the second monitor, correct?

When you connect the second monitor, are you extending it or duplicating it? (Windows key + P)

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Kaloyan-Donev
Beginner

Hello, !

I can't test the problem with a non insider build of Windows, because that will delete all of my data. I can also choose the option to switch to normal builds without erasing my data but I will need to wait for a new major Windows version to release.

Yes, the black borders don't appear on the second display, only the display in the laptop and I am extending my display.

I also have a driver update for the GPU, so I will install that and if the issue persist I will reply again.

0 Kudos
Kaloyan-Donev
Beginner

I updated the driver, but the issue still persists.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaloyan-Donev, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

We are sorry to hear the issue remains after updating the driver. 

We will continue working on this matter. As soon as I get further suggestions, I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaloyan-Donev, I just received an update on this matter.

I just wanted to let you know that we are going to try to replicate this scenario in our Intel® lab. Once I get the results, I will provide all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaloyan-Donev, I just received another update on this matter.

After trying to replicate this scenario in our Intel® lab, we just wanted to let you know that we were unable to replicate the issue. We tried with a laptop and XE graphics attaching another monitor on a noninsider Windows* version and no issues were found.

Based on that, we highly recommend testing a noninsider Windows* version or checking with the game developers directly for further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos