Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20705 Discussions

Blender rendering (cycles) fails after 5-50 frames on my Arc A770

Clintyngvie
Beginner

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I need help.

Got a fairly simple low poly project lasting 7000 frames. Takes about 5 seconds to render a frame in cycles. It features a particle system that lasts about 100 frames and two volume scatterings for the volymetrics. So nothing complicated. So But for whatever reason, everything crashes after only 5-50 frames.

Working on a 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400F, 2500 Mhz. Got the latest drivers for my Arc A770 (31.0.101.5186) and I've got plenty of Ram.

I've also tested multiple versions of Blender and so far the Beta for 4.1 seems to work best. I've also started using Loom to render through the commandline rather than through Blender. The render still fails after 5-50 frames, but at least Blender doesn't crash altogether.

It's gonna take forever if I have to restart the render every few minutes.

Happy to supply any more information if needs be and would really appreciate any help with solving this.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

Just to clarify: if you use Blender Beta 4.1 on your project, there is no crash, but the rendering performance is slow; more so, any version older than Beta 4.1 will crash during the rendering, am I correct?

We need to test this scenario and validate whether we can reproduce it. Can you share the project so we can import it and quickly see the issue? If you can add the steps to reproduce, that would be great.

Finally, please share the Intel SSU report so we can try to match your software and hardware configuration as closely as possible.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Clintyngvie
Beginner

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry if my original post was a bit confusing. To clarify; the problem is not resolved running 4.1 Beta. It’s just that my (purely subjective) experience was that the render worked slightly longer before crashing.

So no, the render fails on all versions of blender. On average, I am maybe able to render 5-50 frames before the render fails, but given that the project is 7000 frames long it becomes quite unbearable.

Trying all kinds of solutions. Lower the tiling, using simplify, removing particle systems and volumetrics. But none of it works.

Appreciate the help. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

-Clintyngvie

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

We appreciate you giving us your SSU and the other information that is necessary for us to determine the underlying cause of our issue.

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
Clintyngvie
Beginner

Hello hello!

Sorry if I seem inpatient, but has there been any progress in my case? All my projects are more or less on hold until this issue is resolved.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

Thank you so much for following us up.

Our senior engineers would like to request the step-by-step process on how to recreate the issue, and if possible, please share a screen recording.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead! 

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Clintyngvie
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply. I am currently on a worktripp until the middle of next week. I doubt I’ll be able to screenrecord anything til then. As for the step by step recreation.

1. I start blender and load the project
  2. I check where the render failed last time and start rendering from there (using the Loom addon as a means of rendering through the command prompt).
  3. Render starts and usually fails after rendering 5-50 frames. This might take anywhere between 1-20 minutes. And because it fails randomly I have to sit there in order to…
  4. I check where the render failed and start rendering from there.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for however much time I have.

That is it. I don’t experiment with the settings anymore, I’m just brute forcing the process. It is extremely annoying. So, any help I appreciated. Because as it stands; I have no idea if this is a video card problem, a CPU problem, a Blender problem, or a Me problem.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

Thank you so much for the response.

We will try to use the step-by-step process that you have provided us and let you know if it will be enough for us to isolate the issue or if we will still need some information from you.

We will now look into this matter more thoroughly, and we will update this thread with new information once it is available.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
Clintyngvie
Beginner

Just checking in if there has been any progress with my case. Still not being able to render effectively is making everything take such a long time.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Clintyngvie
Beginner

Has there really not been any progress in case at all?

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

We appreciate your patience as we conducted a comprehensive review of the issue you reported. In our testing environment, we utilized Blender 4.0 on an Intel® Arc™ A770 graphics card with driver versions 31.0.101.5186 and 31.0.101.5382. During these tests, we encountered no issues with rendering. Specifically, we replicated the procedure using driver version 31.0.101.5186, which you had mentioned, and monitored the system for over five minutes following the "Render Animation" and "Render Image" options. 

To assist you further, I've included a screen recording of our test run using driver version 31.0.101.5382. I kindly ask you to review it and confirm whether the steps we followed align with your experience, as we used the file you provided for this replication.

Additionally, I suggest updating your graphics driver to the latest version, 31.0.101.5382, to see if this resolves the issue. Please try this update and share your results with us. You can use the DDU to remove the old graphics driver before installing the latest graphics driver. 

Your feedback is crucial, and we await your response to proceed accordingly.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the recommendations I posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Clintyngvie,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos