Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Can't get displayport to output audio to HDMI (Q45/Q43 Express Chipset)

JClas
Beginner

I would like to know if this chipset supports audio output to HDMI. I have not been able to get it to work with the TV in our Conference Room. We're running this on a Dell Optiplex 780 with Express Chipset Q45/Q43 and I'm using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable. You can see the exact cable (not that I think it matters) in the following link. http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431437982&sr=8-1&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi Amazon.com: Cable Matters® Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 6 Feet: Electronics

So far the picture is perfect. but I just can't seem to get Windows 7 32-bit (all updates/ServicePacks installed) to recognize the TV's speakers as an available audio output device. I used Intel's Driver Update Utility 2.0 to ensure that it was on the latest version (according to windows, it's 8.15.10.2869 but Intel might have a different version indentification scheme because it had origianlly told me 15.something; I've seen that more than once)

I don't see the HDMI speakers in my available output devices. I know I can use an audio cable to the TV but I would prefer not to do that so I can keep the wires tidy. I will do it if I have to but only as a last resort.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction or at least tell me if this chipset is capable of sending audio through its display port.

Thanks,

BirdLaw

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JClas
Beginner

Well, I'm thoroughly surprised that the Intel community wasn't willing to help me out. I have 30 views and not one person has made even a single suggestion. I'm posting this for the benefit of others having a similar problem.

DisplayPorts have been around for several years and this chipset would have been one of the earlier implementations. Certain improvements have been made since then and they have gone from version 1.0 all the way up to 1.3. If you want to read more see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort# Versions DisplayPort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I understand it, if I had a more modern implementation of the DisplayPort on board, everything I have would work perfectly. The problem stems from the fact that I have a Passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter with an older onboard DisplayPort. What I needed to include audio and video was an Active DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter.

Active DisplayPort adapters apparently includes hardware that performs conversions on certain signal types and are still necessary for some graphics cards when you wish to have more than 2 monitors (among other situations). When in doubt, grab an Active DisplayPort adapter (preferably one that doesn't require additional power sources or USB)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JClas
Beginner

Well, I'm thoroughly surprised that the Intel community wasn't willing to help me out. I have 30 views and not one person has made even a single suggestion. I'm posting this for the benefit of others having a similar problem.

DisplayPorts have been around for several years and this chipset would have been one of the earlier implementations. Certain improvements have been made since then and they have gone from version 1.0 all the way up to 1.3. If you want to read more see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort# Versions DisplayPort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I understand it, if I had a more modern implementation of the DisplayPort on board, everything I have would work perfectly. The problem stems from the fact that I have a Passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter with an older onboard DisplayPort. What I needed to include audio and video was an Active DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter.

Active DisplayPort adapters apparently includes hardware that performs conversions on certain signal types and are still necessary for some graphics cards when you wish to have more than 2 monitors (among other situations). When in doubt, grab an Active DisplayPort adapter (preferably one that doesn't require additional power sources or USB)

JStew12
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same computer and bought the same display port to HDMI adapter from Amazon. I'm having the same exact issue and have tried everything to no avail. Were you able to get it working using another active display port adapter?

Best,

Joe

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We do not recommend using adapters but as BirdLaw said, Active adapters are better than Passive and this definitely can do the trick for you.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JStew12
Beginner
Hi Kevin,

I just tried an active adapter and also a straight through cable with display port on one end and HDMI on the other. When any of them are plugged in...my PC does not detect the TV as and audio source. Can you just confirm on whether or not your Intel Q45/Q43 Express chipset supports audio through the display port? Displayport.org states that some earlier revisions will not pass audio. I'm guessing it doesn't since I have the same result with 3 different adapters. I couldn't get any answers from Dell on this either.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Joe,

I can confirm that this chipsets do support Audio through display port. As previous user on the community reported, active adapters can do the trick in your case.

Here you have the chipset datasheer. Check page 33:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/4-chipset-family-datasheet.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/4-chipset-family-datasheet.html

0 Kudos