Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Could the discrete GPU be the Intel BIG.Little.micro architecture? ^.^

SlyRocks
Beginner

Hello community,
This is a matter of curiosity:

I have the impression that we are not many, see to be the only one to wonder about this subject:
Why don't we use the computing potential of the discrete GPUs integrated into our CPUs that are not used when a dedicated GPU is installed?

I mean, on the latest Core i_ CPUs, there are at least 32 UHD processing units, see 96 as part of Iris Xe, and all of that is unused.
Such a waste !
I know that these cores are not designed for the same uses as the x86 cores, nor even structured in the same way, or that they respond to the same register of x86 instructions...

But, with emulation/transcription of commands and orchestration by the System Agent, couldn't these graphics cores be useful to unload the CPU for small processing?
To be able to exploit these graphics cores - even if it would only be a question of rendering small internal services to x86 architectures - I would find it so useful, and it would give an additional advantage to CPUs sold with iGPU compared to those which do not have any not.

This is an open and theoretical query, which could be checked in software but which would not be portable or efficient if it asks to emulate/translate commands on CPU cores, for example via OpenCL libraries.
But, debating this subject and having your opinions interests me.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Andres_Intel

Hello SlyRocks,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities.  

Please provide the following information to investigate and keep you informed with the most accurate details: 

• Do you have this issue with a specific Intel®️ Graphics Card?
  • Has this happened with a certain computer or laptop model, or in different systems? If so, what is the make and model?
  • Have you noticed this happens with different apps and games?
  • Have seen this issue in another forum or article?

Regards,

Andres P.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
SlyRocks
Beginner

Hello Andres,

This is not a topic about a problem.

But it's a reflection and a sharing of opinion on the benefits of assistance to the CPUs that we could derive from using the processing units included in the discrete Intel GPUs when uses a dedicated one to manage the display.

I would be grateful if this topic can stay open for a few more months, without self-locking.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello SlyRocks,

Thank you for clarifying that this is not related to a problem that you have, but if this is about feedback that you want to let us know, it is important to provide the model of the Intel®️ Graphics Cards where you have found this behavior.

To take advantage of the maximum potential of an Integrated Intel®️ Graphics Card there are Intel® Deep Link Technologies, which enables Intel® 11th Generation and 12th Generation Processor integrated graphics + Intel Arc benefits to improve performance and elevate gaming, creating, and streaming.

For more information about Intel® Deep Link Technologies you can visit the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090059/graphics/intel-arc-dedicated-graphics-family.html

Just to let you know, I won't close the case, but I will be closed automatically for a period of time if there is no activity.

Regards,

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello SlyRocks,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello SlyRocks,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andres P.  

0 Kudos