Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20759 Discussions

Disable hardware acceleration with Intel HD 4400 video driver

JFroe1
Beginner
I have an HP EliteBook 840 with the Intel HD 4400

graphics chipset. I run an application that displays video from our security

cameras (Video Viewer part of OnGuard software suite from

Lenel). The software requires that hardware acceleration be turned OFF in

order to function. All of the drivers that I've tried (from HP and Intel) do NOT allow me to disable hardware acceleration.If I remove the Intel driver and go back to a standard Windows

driver, I can disable hardware acceleration and the software displays

properly...albeit at a severely reduced resolution and color

quality. I need a driver that will allow me to control hardware acceleration

while still giving me Dual-monitor, high quality video support.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Currently using Intel Driver 9.18.10.3324 from Windows update site Driver Date 10.7/2013. I have tried more recent driversincluding Ver 10.18.10.3993 Date-10/28/2014

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hardware acceleration is enabled by default with Intel® HD Graphics drivers; however, it is necessary to uninstall the driver in order to disable hardware acceleration.

Allan.

JFroe1
Beginner

I did disable the Intel driver, returned to a standard Windows driver, and was able to disable hardware acceleration.... the application then worked....but... at a severely reduced video quality.

The generic Windows drivers do not support dual monitor, high-res video required to run the other applications that my users require. The Intel driver(s) that I have tried support the required video modes (hi-res, dual monitor, etc.) but they do not allow me to disable hardware acceleration, which renders the video application that I need to run useless.

I need a driver that supports the display adapter's video modes/capabilities and allows me to disable hardware acceleration.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Since hardware acceleration is enabled by default once you install the graphics driver, this will take control of the graphics acceleration and cannot be disabled.

Allan.

0 Kudos