Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Driver and Support Assistant preventing safely remove

Eagle
Novice

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20201023173638.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Hard Drives: C: 488 GB (357 GB Free); 😧 1187 GB (685 GB Free); E: 3353 GB (1079 GB Free); F: 3353 GB (655 GB Free); P: 6707 GB (4783 GB Free); S: 1721 GB (1192 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z390 DESIGNARE-CF, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: ESET Security, Enabled and Updated

Lately I am not able anymore to "Safely Remove" an external Samsung 8T SSD attached to USB, Windows telling me the disk is in use.
I have been running Intel's Driver and Support Assistant v 20.11.50.9
After weeks of investigating I found that DSAService.exe with process id 4736 stopped the removal or ejection of the external drive (see attached Event-Viewer info).
When via taskmanager I do an "End task" of the services DSAService and DSAUpdateService, the "Safely Remove" of the external drive works again.
After a reboot (the 2 mentioned services loaded again) the issue returns again.

Not sure if this is a Windows or an Intel issue, for now had to uninstall "Driver and Support Assistant", what can I do to resolve this and return to the Assistant?

Thanks in advance

10 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

This forum handles issues related to Intel Analyzers.Are you using any of the Intel Analyzers?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Eagle
Novice

@ JananiC_Intel 

I got a email message from you asking if I use Intel Analyzers.

I don't see this message in this thread though, actually have no idea what Analyzers are, but saw some older messages in the Analyzers forum concerning "Driver and Support Assistant" which is the reason I posted here.

If not appropriate would love to now what a better forum is.

Regards, Eagle

0 Kudos
Eagle
Novice
0 Kudos
Igunn
Beginner

I concur with @Eagle  that the DSAservice part of Intel's Driver & Support Assistant keeps a handle open on removable drives, preventing the user from 'safely removing' them.

This is intolerable and should be fixed ASAP.

As it stands, I am forced to uninstall the software (version 21.2.13.9).

@JananiC_Intel : If this is not the right forum for this message it would be helpful if you steered us in the right direction.

AKAK
Beginner

Thank you for posting this problem, Eagle.

Doesn't anyone know why DSA(Update)Service stopp the removal or ejection of external drives?

While DSA(Update)Service is active, there is a permanent access on the external drive even - as I see - not visible in the ressource manager. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks in advance,

kind regards,

Armin

0 Kudos
Oliver2
Beginner
The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Driver and Support Assistant\DSAService.exe with process id 4540 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx\MSFT30lm66Qr4q

Can confirm this issue. It's a real nuisance. The handle doesn't seem to show up in Microsoft SysInternals Process Explorer either.

0 Kudos
Federico-HPE
Beginner

Same annoying problem clearly caused by the Intel SW 

Dear site moderator:
I guess a lot of users don't even know that it is the Intel service causing it.
Please, do not wait until you receive a big number of complains,  raise the case priority, it should be a very easy fix.

The log posted by Oliver 2 is on:
Event Viewer-->Windows Logs --> System
Search for Event ID "225"

I'm going to uninstall the the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.
I'll re-install it once you will fix the issue.

0 Kudos
sba923
Beginner

This is driving me nuts every time I forget that the "Intel(R) Driver & Support Assistant" (DSAService) service is what prevents me from ejecting a removable drive.

Please fix this ASAP.

0 Kudos
Vinix
Beginner

I also ran into this problem. Until now, the workaround is to stop "Intel(R) Driver & Support Assistant"(DSA) service, or remove DSA completely.

It's funny that in FAQ, we are told that we can post problems of DSA to Intel Communities, but there is no forum for softwares made by Intel. People have to post problems to fourms that are not related to DSA and wait for years, without any answer. The only response from Intel stuff is like "Hey, you posted to the wrong forum".

Good for you, Intel.😡

0 Kudos
majortom
Beginner

I'm experiencing the same issue on Windows 11 23H2, in November 2023, almost 3 years after the first post 👍

0 Kudos