Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20642 Discussions

HP Spectre with Intel Arc A370M - freezes screen on internal display after updating 31.0.101.5379

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Hi

As soon as I install drivers of any of the below versions on my HP Spectre x360 16-f2000na Laptop screen freezes.

Win+Ctr+Shift+B which restarts display driver helps for couple of seconds to even sometimes for longer, sometimes till I reboot.

If I reboot - screen goes black as soon as windows loads.

However as soon as I connect extenral monitor - picture works ok on external monitor (with picture still showing frozen on internal display).

After rolling back to 31.0.101.5252 or lower - all works ok again.

I have Windows 11 Pro installed 23H2.

I tried to uninstall all drivers with DDU but it didn't help

Driver versions affected:

and even with 31.0.101.5379

Link to video to reproduce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCeAy9V9HM

12 Replies
SkevosMavros
Beginner

I have the identical problem  with my HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 Laptop. Now I just have to work out how to rollback the driver.  The Device Manager won't let me.

EDIT:

In case there are any other less technical people like me that have the same issue and want to roll back to a previous driver, here's the link to the page where you can download older drivers for the  Intel Arc A370M graphics chip:

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - Windows*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/815649/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

Use the pull down list near the top of the page to select which old driver you wish to install.  I can conform the oroginal poster's advice that version 31.0.101.5252 or older seems to work.

strangerX1
New Contributor I

You just download driver 31.0.101.5252 and install through normall installation procedure

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Same issue with the newest 31.0.101.5382 driver. That's a shame

ACarmona_Intel

Hello StrangerX1,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

By the way, in the meantime, please use the driver 31.0.101.5252 or lower as we do our investigation.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

strangerX1
New Contributor I

That's the only thing I had to do - otherwise can't use laptop unless with USB-C dock and external monitor

ACarmona_Intel

Hello StrangerX1,

Thank you so much for the response.

We wanted to inform you that we are still trying to figure out what the root cause of our issue is.

In the meantime, we advise you to please try a clean installation  of your graphics driver card and then use your OEM graphics driver.

Thank you for your patience, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

strangerX1
New Contributor I

hi Carmona

I tried clean driver install, it doesn't help.

OEM driver works - but it is VERY old. So for now I am stuck with 31.0.101.5252 which works as well

ACarmona_Intel

Hello StrangerX1,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

We recommend that you contact your OEM or HP support, as there is a possibility that the latest generic drivers are conflicting with a customization implemented in your laptop; hence, the OEM needs to validate and release a new customized driver.

Thank you and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
strangerX1
New Contributor I

Sorry, I can't play that ping pong as HP will tell the same and will revert to Intel.

We do have clear case when driver version 5252 works ok and driver 5330 introduced that issue - this clearly is possible to look into code base and see what changed and investigate further.

Please note the version WITHOUT issues is NON-customized version of Intel driver - 5252

0 Kudos
ARandomHippo
Beginner

Identical issue with the same laptop. The OEM drivers truly suck too, and I doubt that HP will release new ones ever. At best I've had the new ones be able to work for like a couple hours at a time.

Guess we're stuck with 5252

Debugger123
Beginner

I have the same issue with the same laptop. I opened a case on Intel customer support on March 21, 2024 with a complete description of this bug including the driver version in which this bug was first introduced. I received a response from Intel that completely disregards the existence of a bug, telling me to disconnect a cable or do a fresh driver install and download the latest driver from the OEM.

I am very disappointed with Intel's handling of this bug. It seems like they don't take their Intel Arc customers seriously. Due to their poor handling of this bug I'm advising friends to refrain from buying Intel Arc GPUs.

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Exactly same issue with the newest 31.0.101.5444 unfortunately.

Rolled back to 101.5252 which works ok...

Would really be good to get an update from Intel where they really look into details with development team.

The only way for this latest driver to work for some time - Win+Ctrl+Shift+B - it restarts graphics driver, it works for some time and then may stuck again.

Update: after second restart can't work even for 10 seconds without pushing Win+Ctrl+Shift+B.

To rollback driver I had to connect to G5 dock via USB-C and external monitor.

When external monitor connected in duplicate display mode - only external monitor works, internal screen is also stuck on some static picture till I rolledback driver back to 5252

0 Kudos