Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20718 Discussions

How to setup vGPU on Intel® Core™ Ultra 5 iGPU for Linux?

pokon548
Beginner

Hello, I would like to know how could I setup vGPU on Intel® Core™ Ultra 5 iGPU for Linux.

According to official document: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000093216/graphics/processor-graphics.html , Ultra 5 integrated gpu is supported via HW managed ATS (Address Translation Service) and OS managed ATS). However, there seems to be neither the detailed information about ATS is provided nor the way of how could I actually setup this feature on my computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello pokon548,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Before we proceed, let me gather some details for me to better understand your inquiry.

1. Why do you need these information?
  2. What is the purpose of this inquiry? What is the implementation?
  3. Are you designing an app or hardware?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
pokon548
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

Why do you need these information?

Because I would like to setup an gpu accelerated virtual machine (Windows), for doing some personal works on Microsoft Office using QEMU. With this setup, I could use Office easily on Linux without manually switching OS back and forth.

In previous generation (like 13th cpu), it could be easily done by SR-IOV, but this seems not to be an option anymore.

What is the purpose of this inquiry? What is the implementation?

Like above, just setting up an personal virtual machine to do personal works that cannot be done easily on Linux. The implementation would be using QEMU with vGPU.

Are you designing an app or hardware?

Nope. Just wanna save some times on OS switching. Linux is my primary OS.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello pokon548,

Thank you for the information provided.  

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello pokon548,

Thank you for Patiently waiting for our update:

Upon reviewing the situation, it appears that you are encountering difficulties with the setup and activation of a virtual machine. In order to assist you more effectively and determine if their system is compatible with this feature, please help provide the following details?

1. Could you please specify the exact model of the processor you are using?

2. May we know the brand and model of your computer?

3. Would it be possible for you to provide us with the SSU logs from your computer? This will enable us to conduct an in-depth analysis of your system's configuration. For your convenience, our Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility can offer guidance on how to generate these logs.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
pokon548
Beginner

Thanks for the further reply!

1. Could you please specify the exact model of the processor you are using?

2. May we know the brand and model of your computer?

Of course. I am using Intel® Core™ Ultra 5 125H × 18 on IdeaPad Pro 5 14IMH9 .

3. Would it be possible for you to provide us with the SSU logs from your computer? This will enable us to conduct an in-depth analysis of your system's configuration. For your convenience, our Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility can offer guidance on how to generate these logs.

Here is the result runs under my Linux OS:

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello pokon548,

Thank you for the quick update.

Can you try the following update:

Setting up GPU virtualization for an Intel processor involves enabling hardware virtualization in your system's BIOS or UEFI firmware. Here's a general guide on how to do it:

1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings. This is usually done by pressing a key such as F2, F10, Delete, or Esc immediately after you start your computer.

2. Once in the BIOS/UEFI, look for a tab or section labeled 'Advanced', 'CPU Configuration', or similar.

3. Under this tab, find the option for 'Intel Virtualization Technology' (also known as Intel VT or VT-x) and set it to Enabled.

4. If you're using an Intel processor with integrated graphics and want to enable GPU virtualization, look for an option like 'Intel VT-d' or 'Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O' and enable it as well.

5. Save your changes and exit the BIOS/UEFI. Your system will reboot with virtualization features enabled.

Please note that the exact steps can vary depending on your computer's manufacturer and model. If you need more specific instructions, you should consult the user manual for your computer or the support website of the manufacturer.

Remember, after enabling virtualization in the BIOS/UEFI, you may also need to configure settings within your virtualization software to utilize the GPU capabilities. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos