Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel DCH graphics installer does not work correctly when using Remote Desktop

AlHill
Super User

When using the current DCH installer exe, while under Remote Desktop, the installer "disappers" from the screen, but still continues to install.  The icon on the task bar is still there, but does nothing when you click on it.   You have to monitor cpu usage with Task Manager to determine when the installer is done so you can restart the PC.

Steps to reproduce:

1. You are on some windows PC, somewhere in the world.
  2. You connect to the target PC with Remote Desktop
  3. You begin DCH installer EXE.
  4. The installer starts.
  5. You "Begin Installation"
  6. You say "I Agree"
  7. You check the box "Execute a clean installation"
  8. You click START
  9. The installation begins
  10. The installer window vanishes, but the icon is still in the task bar.
  11. You bring up Task Manager, which shows the install is proceding
  12. You wait until CPU usage is zero
  13. You restart the PC
  14. You reconnect with Remote Desktop
  15. You verify that the new DCH driver is there, which it is

You never see a window with FINISH or REBOOT NOW, so you have to use Task Manager to know when to reboot.

If you use the SAME DCH exe and install while on the target PC, all is correct.  It is only when you install using Remote Desktop.

This is on Windows 10 and 11.  I have informed Intel directly previously and nothing was done.  This error has been there since this "new" installer was released months and months ago.

Let's get this fixed.   Remote installs of Nvidia using Remote Desktop work as they should.   What does Nvidia know [about Remote Desktop] that Intel does not?<G>

There is nothing else you need from me to reproduce.  We will know if you fixed it in about 6 to 8 weeks with the release of the next DCH driver.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

14 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello AlHill,

We appreciate you are reporting this issue.

We will bring this information to the graphics team, and then we will check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @AlHill,

Thanks for waiting for your response.

After reviewing the information and following your reproduction steps, we were unable to emulate the issue. We were able to update the driver with no problem, and the installation was smooth. It may indicate that the behavior you reported is being caused by either the tool you are using for remote or your system.

If there is any other specific step or detail you didn't mention in your previous post, we would appreciate it if you could share it.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Jean_Intel   I am using Windows Remote Desktop.   There is something wrong with the DCH installer.  Have you actually used Remote Desktop before? 

I do not understand why the answer from ICS is always "we cannot reproduce the problem".

So, this is not resolved.  If you want, I can go to Hillsboro and show the employees there the problem.   Or, you can have an ICS person visit me at my location.

Your response is very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @AlHill,

Attached is a video showing the replication process we followed, and you can see that we did not face any issues. We used the Windows Remote Desktop; however, if you notice any error in the replication actions, please, point it out.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Edit: As the video file exceeds the maximum file size allowed by the website, we will share the file to the email address associated with your account.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

OK, there is a difference that I neglected to mention.   Where you install the DCH driver file from the target machine itself, I install the driver while on the target machine from a network share.   The install file is not on the target machine, but accessed over the network.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Jean_Intel   I have sent you an email with my recording of the failure.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Jean_Intel   Well, the attachment I sent you was too large, so I will try attaching to this post.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @AlHill,

Thanks for the video you provided.

We will one more time investigate your issue internally. We will follow the steps shown in the video to try and replicate the issue.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thanks.

It should be noted that I can reproduce this at anytime on the following machines, using remote desktop, with the DCH driver on a remote share:

• NUC10i7FNHJA1   Frost Canyon
  • LAPQC71C             Queen's County
  • NUC8i7HVKVA      Hades Canyon
  • NUC7i7DNHE        Dawson Canyon
  • NUC7i7BNKQ        Baby Canyon (the video that I provided)
  • NUC6i7KYK           Skull Canyon
  • E7470                     Dell Latitude E7470
  • STK2M3W64CC   Cedar City

When I install the nvidia driver on my other networked machines, using the same procedure (remote desktop, and driver on network share), it works as it should.   Also, before Intel released the new installer, the old installer worked as it should.  It is only a problem with the new installer.

So, the question is why does the new intel installer fail (while using remote desktop and a network share), while the old intel installer and current nvidia installer work correctly?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AlHill,

We appreciate the information you provided.

We still are investigating your issue. Once we have a response to your query and problem, we will post back.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
ConstantInFail
Beginner

Hi All,

Just want to let you know, I have the exact same problem on two different machines:

1. INTEL NUC BOXNUC6CAYH

2. Custom build, Intel Core i3-10100 on a MSI "B460M Mortar" board.

I use those machines in a headless setup and I connect from a 3rd machine through RDP. Both headless machines have no further graphics cards installed, only the graphics chips in the Intel CPUs.

When trying to install the latest graphics driver package, the Installer window suddenly disappears and I can't make it visible anymore. If I wait long enough, the driver gets successfully installed anyway.

I allways have the latest Win10 PRO patches installed.

I experience this problem since several months, maybe a year or so. I believe it all began when you switched to this new fancy looking installer. The old installer, which was mainly text based, didn't have the problem.

The issue is happeneing every single time since it first began.

I'm glad to see, that you're looking into the issue.

Cheers, ConstantIn

0 Kudos
ConstantInFail
Beginner

Just one more thought of mine...  I could be wrong, but I have a feeling, the issue happens when the actual driver gets switched to the new one and the graphics chip gets reset. If I had a monitor connected, this would be the moment when the monitor gets dark for a few seconds.

And I know Windows sees the RDP session as some kind of separate user session with its own virtual monitor. And windows controls what gets displayed in the virtual monitor and any connected real monitors.

Having that in mind... Could it be, that windows tries to display the installation window on the wrong monitor/video output? After the graphics chip gets reset, maybe windows tries to display the installation window on a (not existing) hardware monitor, instead of the virtual one that belongs to the RDP session?

If that makes any sense to you, you may want to look into that. ...if it doesn't, just ignore my babbling. 🙂

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AlHill,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

We could replicate the issue using the 6th/7th generation; however, we couldn't replicate it using the 11th gen. Intel will only provide software support for affected products on critical fixes and security vulnerabilities. The decision to move 10th gen and older drivers to the legacy support model are so our developers can focus on the newer platforms, and we can not promise or do any fix for this issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091662/graphics.html

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Very disappointing answer.   Of course, the decision to only support 11th gen and later is the way to avoid fixing the issue which occurs on all of my machines up to and including 10th gen.  Also, we are not talking about fixing the driver.  We are talking about fixing the INSTALLER, which I believe is used for all DCH graphic drivers.

Then again, I never expected an answer.  So, thanks.

0 Kudos