Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel HD 3000 driver (i7-2640m) no OpenGL 3.3 and OpenCL 1.2 CPU runtime support

idata
Employee

I have a i7-2640m CPU on my laptop with Integrated Graphics Display (IGD) intel HD 3000. I am on windows 8.0 x64.

I am opening this thread because I feel that intel has forgot about supporting the intel HD 3000 owners with 2 newer version APIs These being OpenGL 3.3 support and OpenCL 1.2 support (CPU)

1. I am desperately trying to find OpenCL 1.2 CPU runtime support.

I have tried this runtime but my graphics card is not supported. intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2013_r3_x64_setup.exe

Can intel produce a compatible intel sdk for ocl aplications runtime x64 for intel HD 3000 (CPU support)???????? Currently the OpenCL supported version (CPU) is 1.1

2. I also feel that intel has forgot to add some missing features in order to fully support OpenGL 3.3 (and 3.2).

The hardware can support upto OpenGL 3.3. The driver is currently supporting 3.1 Can you please update the graphics card driver

PLEASE intel HELPPPP. I need the intel HD 3000 driver to have latest supported API versions. OpenCL 1.2 (CPU) and OpenGL 3.3 support

54 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, palmiris:

I would like you to check this article that has the different APIs that are supported for each of the generations of processors from Intel® (your product is from the second generation).

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005524.html Supported Graphics APIs and Features for Graphics Drivers

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

idata
Employee

Ok I understand what you are saying. INTEL DOES NOT TO SUPPORT INTEL HD 3000 (e.g i5-2520m or i7-2640m) AND ITS CLIENTS NEEDS ANYMORE.

I am devastated by your reply.

I wish you had better understanding of the market and graphics card support timespan. You seem to offer less than half of the competition support/driver development life.

Is windows less capable than other Operating Systems??? Does intel recommend us to switch to other operating systems like linux for the best performance of intel hd 3000??? This is ridiculous that we have to switch to other operating systems in order to be able to have openGL 3.3 and OpenCL 1.2 (CPU load only) support. Intel you are responsible for this outcome. Please sort this mess out.

idata
Employee

Mr EstebanC_Intel,

Linux driver is openGL 3.3. Why are you refusing to acknowledge that intel hd 3000 is openGL 3.3 hardware supported?????????

Why is intel not updating intel hd 3000 openGL 3.3 driver support in windows?????

I have installed ubuntu on the same laptop and intel hd 3000 driver in linux is openGL3.3 certified. I will attach a picture later today to prove myself

I have a i7-2640m and I have one more year support. I hope that you will honor your word for a 5 year driver support.

Here is the proof that intel hd 3000 is OpenGL3.3 certified. I am waiting for a confirmation for a driver update to support at least openGL 3.3 in windows 7,8, 8.1 too (since intel does not offer a windows 10 driver I will not mention it).

Thanks

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, palmiris:

Let me send this for review.

Please provide me with the information requested in the following link:

I will be providing you with my outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks,

I enclose the requested attachments. In case you need additional information please let me know.

Regards

Panayiotis

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, palmiris:

Thank you for the information provided, I will be sending the case for review as advised previously.

As soon as I get a response, I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Esteban,

Thanks for your positive attitude. I am looking forward for your reply.

Regards

Panayiotis

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, palmiris:

Sure, no problem, I will keep you posted on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mr EstebanC_Intel

I have a confirmation from OpenCL development team that openCL 1.2 support is included in this driver "opencl_runtime_15.1_x64_setup.msi".

I have just tested it and it is working.

If you include the openGL 3.3 support in the intel hd 3000 2nd gen cpu driver then I will be an intel happy customer. I am hopping that intel openGL development team does not let me down.

Thanks

Regards

Panayiotis

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, palmiris:

Thank you for the information provided, as soon as I get an answer from the team reviewing the case, I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
mcons2
Novice

hi everybody

would the _Intel guys add some speed to introducing OpenGL 3.3 to the HD 3000 owners on Windows if I said I needed this too !??

have just wasted about 3 hours of sleep to figure out why Bullet demos refused to run and kept crashing with null pointer errors. well thanks to a feature of 3.2 which of course we don't have in 3.1 -> glFramebufferTexture

and why 3.3 is totally missing on Windows while present on Linux well this is just preposterous and goes to show that (software) project management can be sloppy even at giant companies. hmmm, or is it there where this was invented in the first place? and then the whole denial thing, "hardware doesn't support it, go away!"... oh man, pure comedy.

let me throw something else on the table while we're waiting for the apples to ripe, does the HD 3000 offer any support for CUDA? anything!?

cheers

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, el_bibiq:

The possible support for this is being reviewed, as soon as I get an answer regarding that, I will be providing you with that resolution.

Regarding the CUDA support, that is a technology developed by another company and implementing that on HD Graphics is limited.

Would that question be related to graphics purposes only?

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
mcons2
Novice

hi Esteban

to tell you the truth I don't really expect Intel to consume time updating the HD 3000 Windows driver to support OpenGL 3.3 which should have been there to begin with. I was hoping to spare about 100 euro on a video card but it seems it is unavoidable, so thank you Intel!

regarding the CUDA, what I meant (while writing it wrong of course) was whether the HD 3000 offered any CUDA-like functionality. I suppose OpenCL should be somewhat supported but if that's like the OpenGL 3.3... I know now what to expect. and the purpose is purely computational.

or any other parallel computing paradigm/model?

this info I tried to find out on the Internet but I couldn't -> how many GPU cores are there on the HD 3000? the developing CUDA competition is stating this number right along all the other graphics card data. if I'm not mistaken this same competition was the first company on the market to offer such a revolutionary feature so if Intel is to at least catch up you'd better be doing quantum leaps on the subject.

cheers

Marius

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bibliq,

1. How to upgrade graphics card on a laptop that is integrated on the CPU??? You simply cannot. No one has managed to hack the different makes laptop bios in order to add intel hd 4000 cpu 3rd gen ivy bridge compatibility.

2. There is a way but only externally, using a 2.5 to 5GB/s express card bandwidth (depends on the bios settings). But this is above the normal laptop usage.

3. With openGL 3.3, it will add the functionality that it is missing on the intel hd 3000 driver.

I agree that it should have been already on the latest driver. It seems that intel forgot about it. I hope that intel does recognize this API absence and correct soon, or if I may ASAP, with a driver update.

As I said openCL 1.2 is already supported, though on a different driver from openCL development team, so the new driver should also include the openCL 1.2 update.

I hope that intel, and specifically Mr EstebanC_Intel, has good news for us in order to compensate for our disappointment with latest intel driver and experience with application compatibility.

Cuda is similar to openCL 1.2. OpenCL 1.2 is still not GPU supported on the intel hd 3000 (only supports CPU) which actually is not bad since we still get improvements. However the applications need to support openCL 1.2 in order to see any improvement.

With many games or applications, that are openGL 3.3 compatible, or openGL3.3 hardware accelerated, Intel HD 3000 fails to run as this API is absence from the driver.

Mr EsebanC_Intel. When will we have a positive reply?? We need this openGL 3.3. API support in order to improve our Intel Experience with games apps and compatibility.

Thanks

Regards

Panayiotis

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

read previous replies.

YOU ARE WRONG.

I enclose the attachment with openCL 1.2 support (CPU support not GPU).

It was not made available in the latest intel HD 3000 driver.

Also openGL3.3. is supported already in other operating systems including Ubuntu which I enclose, and which I installed in order to prove intel that it is supported.

If you need further proof please let me know.

OpenCL 1.2 for intel hd 3000 is found here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers# win64 OpenCL™ Drivers and Runtimes for Intel® Architecture | Intel® Developer Zone

download http://registrationcenter.intel.com/irc_nas/5198/opencl_runtime_15.1_x64_setup.msi OpenCL™ Runtime 15.1 for Intel® Core™ and Intel® Xeon® Processors for Windows

VTran8
Novice

Yeah. Intel HD 3000 only support up to openGL 3.1 on Windows. About your openCL screenshot, I think it is from the CPU, not GPU. I used Intel HD 3000 once so I know that it doesn't support openCL (tried with a bitcoin miner which use openCL).

Edit: Intel HD 3000 doesn't support openCL. The screenshot shows that only 1 device support openCL and that is your CPU, not Intel HD 3000.

If GPU supports, it will show like this:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

1. As I said sandy Bridge 2nd GEN CPUs (with intel hd 3000) supports openCL 1.2 for the CPU part, and only if you download this driver OpenCL™ Runtime 15.1 for Intel® Core™ and Intel® Xeon® Processors for Windows2. 2. Since OpenGL 3.3 is supported in other operating system with the same 2nd Gen CPU with intel HD 3000, I am asking intel to support windows driver with openGL 3.3 too.

I hope I am clear.

VTran8
Novice

It is CPU support openCL, not Intel HD 3000 support for CPU.

Btw, why don't you sell this old laptop and buy a new one? A cheap Haswell laptop will have openCL 1.2, openGL 4 for you to use. Sandy bridge is old now. I haven't seen any new drivers for Intel HD 3000 since last summer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee