Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20716 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 Driver causes black screen - please help

SvaralF
Beginner

Hello,

my case is kinda strange. Display was never showing signs of failure but one day my screen went black. Seems like that there is driver problem. Only way to install it is via safe mode, legacy drivers in device manager. Even that doesn´t solve problem. After quiting safe mode to normal, at boot brand logo appears and when windows should load with all its drivers, it goes to black screen. After clean windows install screen works on PnP Display, system is slow due to missing display adapter i guess. When I install intel graphic driver, it blinks as it always does when driver is applying, but when it seems it finishes succesfully, it goes to black screen...

I have tried:

Windows 11

Windows 10 latest version and older too

Installing latest intel drivers and older

Installing in maximum power performace

Changing maximum performance to 97%

Trying HDMI, to see if it would work at least there

can´t install straight driver, because it says that it doesn´t meets minimum requiremnents for driver, or it is not supported.

Is someone with same problem, who was able to fix it please? Any idea how?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
SvaralF
Beginner

I am attaching the final report exported to Text Document

0 Kudos
SvaralF
Beginner

Text Document

0 Kudos
SvaralF
Beginner

Currently my PC/2in1 tablet is working when plugged on minitor via HDMI. Everything works, but my main device display is black. Without the driver screen works perfectly, so I assume, that there is no hardware issue. Driver works, but disables tablet´s screen.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SvaralF,

If I may jump into the conversation, I recommend you install the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver.

There are two types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM) to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers.

To install the driver, you should visit the HP website; the latest driver validated for your product is 27.20.100.9416. Please, install this driver and check if the issue is still present.

Also, you mentioned that you tried Windows 10 latest and older versions. The reports you shared show that the Operating System (OS)build is 16299. Could you share an SSU report with the latest OS version (19045)?

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SvaralF,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SvaralF,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
slushtin
Beginner

Did you ever figure out how to fix the issue? I"m having the exact same problem with my Thinkpad X1 Carbon CORE i7 vPro (8th Gen) and it seems like it started happening around when updating to 22h2 maybe a little before(?). Anyways, I tried updating to Win 11 hoping that it would fix the issue and instead it made it worse. Lost all of my old drivers and then almost nothing would install on my computer without the screen shutting off (even linux wise) until I installed Fedora 39 which actually fixed everything. I've had it for a few months now and decided to try out Win 11 again to see if it would work and it does... for a little bit at least, right after installation due to skipping the connecting to wifi and signing in (which I guess is running off of microsoft basic driver) but then as soon as I connect to the internet after finishing the installation the updates start rolling in and then the screen shuts off. I'm able to use an external monitor but the computer screen is still black. So I switched to Win 10 22h2 and updated to Win 11 (instead of just installing it from usb) yet still having the same issue. Do you know how to keep it on the microsoft basic driver instead of it automatically updating when connect to internet or restarting? The reason I ask is because I will go and uninstall/delete the "Intell(R) UHD Graphics 620" driver and restart the laptop and it works for a little bit but then the update kicks in after awhile and the screen shuts off (while computer is still running). Is there a way to prevent the driver from updating until this whole graphics driver issue is fixed? It's definitely not a hardware issue and is obviously something that has to do with this particular driver

ps - I managed to keep it on the microsoft driver but the screen is dim and I have no way of controlling the way it looks. Still looking for an Intel(R) UHD 620 Graphics Driver that actually works

ps- also is there a place online where you can download older version of the "Intell(R) UHD Graphics 620" driver that you know of? I'm thinking that may work because I used to have 3 or 4 versions I could roll back to that would work just fine but unfortunately I lost them after clearing my entire drive. I also downloaded Intel System Support Utility to make a report which is attached below. Please get back to me and let me know if you can help.

0 Kudos
SvaralF
Beginner

Hello brother!

Ep-01 Hope

I am honestly sorry about the shock of your situation that you are going trough. I know that very well, since I spend weeks solving this issue. I got so far with my never ending hope of fixing this strange issue. I was also excited with hope when I worked on generic microsoft display driver, but also after updating drivers it died. You see, when the Intel UHD driver kicks in and switches over generic m. driver, it just die... as you have experienced many times. It is true for some stupid reason that switching to linux may fix some issues. Spoiler alert, I ended up throwing my 3000€ device to trash. Just years later I have found out that maybe the linux would solve it, guess too late xD. Anyway, I had Hp Zbook X2 G4, a windows tablet that had also simple nvidia quadro graphics. It worked on nvidia graphics, but I still wanted to have my intel uhd back! As you might have realised by now, internet won´t help you in this situation, for everything you have tried by now didn´t helped, if you want to continue on windows.

Ep-02 Welcome

I forgot to welcome you into the world of dead gpus! It might be just thing of windows, but anyway, when you search with your problem internet, you find out that it is common that the gpu stops working and no software fixes it. I also had NVIDIA laptop that gpu suddenly stopped working. Why is it happening? No clue, but it is... You will eventually get to the point of giving up. Yes in past I also tried many older drivers for my uhd, different windows versions like older up to 1709... nothing. Generic drivers are just... not countable, they sucks and are not meant to run system well. They are sort of backup. If your device works just fine on the Linux, keep it there and don´t throw it away. Learn Linux and how to run windows apps over there. I used ubuntu for a little try and it was quite a symphatic OS. Now that I am thinking about it, I will try to install linux on that Nvidia laptop that has dead gpu.

Ep-03 Lesson

It was unacceptable for me to let go, but if you wanna keep trying go on brother! Just don´t get heart attack as I almost xD. Such a problem as this will learn you quite a bit, when you start playing with fixes and system. At least that counts. The scary part Is after such experience, that you never know which next device might end up just the same with eather intel or nvidia gpu. It is stupid tech lottery.

Hopefully I did not de-motivated you far too much,

Wish you all the best brother!

0 Kudos
slushtin
Beginner

awww, you threw it away?? I'm not sure if you know this but there is no graphics card in a Hp Zbook X2 G4. It's an integrated CPU that also has graphics on it. I actually looked it up and they said rarely do they ever have a chance of just the graphics part of the dye (AKA the CPU) going bad. Usually, if something were to happen the entire processor just stops working if that's the case. I'm not saying that there wasn't anything wrong but **bleep** man... That just sucks as I'm pretty sure it's just software related. I mean, I'm not for certain to say that for sure but I would have just waited or at least have someone else look at it with more experience.

UPDATE: I finally got it working! I tried a couple of drivers of which I had no luck so in the meantime I wanted to see if I could dual boot Fedora workstation to use that on the computer at least until the Win 11 side was figured out. Just incase you are unaware, dual booting is where you have 2 operating systems on the same computer and have a choice of choosing which one you want to use when powering it on. Anyways, I was also hoping that for whatever reason that the driver that was getting Fedora to run would also now be installed on the computer which would allow Win 11 to work HOWEVER I do remember reading somewhere that Linux handles drivers differently than Windows. What I mean by that is apparently, the driver(s) stay within the kernel or something and is removed as soon as the OS is removed which isn't the case for Windows. Whenever you install a driver through windows it stays on the computer even after you uninstall it. So, yeah, I didn't have much hope for it to actually work ....but... to my surprise after installing Fedora and updating everything on it I finally went back over to check on Win 11 a couple days later and it's now working!!! I can actually see the laptop screen and the separate monitor AT THE SAME TIME, adjust brightness, everything! Before it wasn't letting me do any of that. My only worry is that if I ever remove the Fedora workstation it may stop Windows from working. I'll have to do a little more research into that but yeah, if you ever face this problem try that.

I really wish you didn't throw it away because I knew it was just a software issue. Hopefully you can salvage it or try it on the computer that you still have. 

For anyone else that has come across this issue and can't seem to fix it I recommend trying this as it saved my laptop. There are plenty of youtube videos online like that teach you how to dual boot that are pretty easy to follow.

Hope this helps,

Dustin

0 Kudos
SvaralF
Beginner

Hi Slushtin!

I am happy that you managed to solve your case. Yes, I know about dual boot, but at that time I didn´t know that linux os might work for my gpu. Yes, the Hp Zbook X2 G4 has 2 graphic cards. It has integrated Intel UHD 620 and external Nvidia Quadro M620 2gb. I do not know what you have seen on internet, but my model was in this configuration. I don´t remember why I did not kept the device running on Nvidia at least. I have spent like 3 weeks figuring out drivers and all internet solutions I have found. I had it in 2 services that were not able to fix it, so yes, my decision was extreme, but at that point, I had nothing left to try, so I just gave up, cause I was over it.

On positive side, it was surely an experience for me. But switching to linux even now, that I used that device mostly for windows software, was not a solution worth switching. I know that you can run or emulate some windows software on Linux, but still... it is hard core solution. I am not a light weight user, I use plenty of creative proffesional windows software, so altho windows sucks, it is the most practical os for me.

Take care!

0 Kudos
Swedfr123
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

Can you please guide me how to share this post on my social media websites?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-UHD-620-Driver-causes-black-screen-please-help/m-p/

I want to share it with my friends and users.

Thanks

0 Kudos