Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 not detecting external display.

JTR-lab
Beginner

Intel UHD 620 not detecting external display.

Lenovo X1 gen 7, 20QD,  Windows 10 with Intel UHD Graphics 620.

I’ve used this computer for the last 3 years with an external display.  A couple weeks ago it ran an update [Intel Software Guard Extensions Device and Software - 10 (1709 or Later)/11 (21H2 or Later) - 2.21.100.3 ] and immediately after the restart to complete the update my computer would no longer detect and project to external monitor.

“didn’t detect another display” message when trying to detect monitor.

I have done all of the troubleshooting I can find for this issue, it seems to be not an uncommon issue, you can find many threads on intel, Microsoft, and Lenovo forums for this issue, however I don’t think that I’ve seen a thread where anyone resolved this problem.

Here is a short summary of what I have done

• The monitor works on a different laptop using the same HDMI cable.
  • A different monitor on does not work
  • Connecting the monitor with an HDMI-to-USBc adapter doesn’t work
  • Ran all windows, Lenovo, and intel updates
  • Uninstalled and deleted display drivers, reinstalled drivers from new download from Intel
  • Uninstalled and deleted display drivers, reinstalled drivers from new download from Lenovo
  • Refreshed default Bios settings
  • Updated BIOS
  • Fully Restored Windows 10
  • Ran all Windows and Lenovo updates
  • Ran Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) followed by fresh download and install of display driver from Lenovo and intel – I’ve installed at least 3 different versions of Intel UHD graphics 620 driver (downloaded directly from either intel or Lenovo)
  • Ran intel driver & support assistant to find correct drivers

Looking more deeply in the device manager for display driver I see this message (and attached images):

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3EA0&SUBSYS_229217AA&REV_02\3&11583659&0&10 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem7.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: igfx

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x0

Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

With any/all versions of intel grahics 620 [30.0.101.1338, 31.0.101.2125] I get a similar event that the graphics driver had a problem starting

I *need to be able to display to external monitor, I use this computer for many presentations. 

Is this fixable? 

If so, how?

If not, why did the intel update brick my graphics card?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PM_75
Beginner

Dear JRT-lab,

I have exactly (!) the same setup and the same problem since the last windows update (Jan 11 2024 - (KB5034123)). I use it though USB C, tried HDMI but both did not work. I already tried a few things on your list and am glad I found your detailed description - so I did not go through all of it but deinstalled the windows update.

This did it for me and I can use my external monitor again.

PM_75

0 Kudos
JTR-lab
Beginner

Update:  I fixed it!  

The solution was fairly complicated.

It seems there were issues with a BIOS and ECP version mismatch [which seemed to be caused by a recent Windows/Intel/Lenovo update]. 

The fix: sequentially reflash the BIOS and confirm that the BIOS and ECP are in sync.  Here is the order that I needed to go through:

BIOS/ECP versions:

1.09/1.05

1.58/1.25

1.59/1.26

I got the BIOS installs from Lenovo https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-7th-gen-type-20qd-20qe/20qd/20qd0000us/pf1qk23m/downloads/ds540232-bios-update-utility-bootable-cd-for-linux-windows-10-64-bit-thinkpad-x1-carbon-7th-gen-x1-yoga-4th-gen?category=BIOS%2FUEFI

Here is a helpful thread on the Lenovo Forum that has the solution:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/No-Output-to-External-Monitors-after-Firmware-Upgrade-12-93-2331/m-p/5280604?page=1

0 Kudos