Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20728 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics Driver problem (OpenGL)

Tony-W
Beginner

I have an application installed at about 200 sites. The application is using OpenGL 2.0 graphics.

On the screen, I have a canvas. On the canvas I have a whole bunch of lines (tracks) drawn.

Previously, lines were selectable. I could click on a line and it would instantly be highlighted.

Recently, drivers were pushed through from corporate and suddenly none of the lines were selectable anymore.

That is, the line (item) selection / pick became unreliable with the new Intel drivers while still good with the old ones. 

It was fine all the way up to 31.0.101.4338, but fails from 31.0.101.4502 onwards.

The issue still exists in 31.0.101.5333.

It appears to be an issue with Intel UHD Cards

I have not reproduced the issue on Intel Iris Xe Graphics cards, even though I believe they are using the same drivers.

The problem is with the selection feedback mechanism of OpenGL 1.x.

There is a second problem that we are experiencing.

In GL_SELECT render mode the empty glBegin/glEnd pairs (without vertexes sent out between them) cause the application crash by the graphics driver. Here is the code to reproduce this 2nd problem in OpenGL 1.x:

glRenderMode(GL_SELECT);

glBegin(GL_LINES);

//no glVertex3f(...) calls here

glEnd();

Like I said, this issue is affecting about 200 sites, so I am hopeful that a resolution can be found that doesn't involve rolling back drivers. 

There was another issue just like our one that is pretty much identical to the issue that we are experiencing. That issue is found here: Intel UHD Graphics Driver problem (OpenGL) - Intel Community

I should also point out that the selection on the older drivers is very slow. On the Intel Iris Xe machines, the selection of a line is sub-second, but with the UHD cards, the selection takes 2 to 3 seconds, which is noticable.

As they are customer sites it would be very hard to get them to downgrade drivers, but relatively easy to get them to upgrade.

How can we solve this problem without having to downgrade the drivers? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tony-W
Beginner

Just following up with further tests that we have performed. It turns out that the Intel Iris Xe machines do also have problems. The hardware we were using was Intel i7 Gen 11 on a Dell 5560 with an Intel Iris Xe card. These machines also had the problem with the inability to select lines. I was able to rollback the drivers to version 31.0.101.4338 and the system now works again.

The Dell 5660 machine that I tested on that was Intel i7 Gen 13 did not experience the issues for some reason.

So something that was changed after 4338 has broken line picking/selection that affects some hardware but not others.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tony-W

We want to look further into the driver problem that you mention. I noticed you did not mention the specific name of the application, would you prefer if we converse using private messages? Also, just to confirm, by sites, do you mean websites or physical offices? 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Tony-W
Beginner
Hi Ramyer,
This for responding.
By sites I mean physical offices that might have multiple instances of the application.
Yes it probably would be best to chat via private message.
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tony-W, 

Thank you for confirming. Please expect a private message from me so we can gather more details about this case. Kindly please check your messages for more details. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Tony-W,

I would like to inform you that we are still investigating this case. We will update you as soon as we have any new information on this case and we will share it on this thread.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Tony-W
Beginner

thank Norman. Let me know if you need anything else.

T.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tony-W, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have sent you a private message about your concern. Feel free to respond to us at your most convenient time. We will be waiting for your reply. Thank you.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tony-W, 

I have sent you an email to discuss this your case with us further. Please check your inbox for more details. Thank you!

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos