Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20637 Discussions

Intel iris xe graphics crashes windows 10

xhuan
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Lenovo laptop with Intel iris xe graphics card, it crashes randomly, the screen become full of random colors for a few seconds, then system reboot.

I have tried driver version 31.0.101.3251 and 31.0.101.3277, they have the same problem.

what should I do to identify the root cause?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello xhuan,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• Was it working fine before? If so, was there any driver/OS update before the issue started?
  • Is the issue triggered when opening any application, or is it completely random?
  • Do you receive any Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when it crashes?

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

• It's started from drive version 31.0.101.3251, after install this driver and reboot, the issue occurs.
  • The issue appears randomly, no special application related.
  • There is no blue screen, no event logs, other applications and the secondary screen works fine, only the primary screen become colorful then system reboot.

After last crash I found the driver rolled back from 31.0.101.3277 to 31.0.101.3251, I'm not sure if it's done by Windows, I'll try to remove 3251 completely and monitor.

Best regards,

xhuan

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

Now the screen flashing and no reboot.

Fixed by swith driver to Microsoft basic adapter and back.

微信图片_20220928105319.jpg

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.

Could you please confirm if the same issue happens if the secondary screen is not connected?

As well, please try a clean installation of the latest DCH driver 31.0.101.3430/31.0.101.2111 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html) and check if the issue persists.

If that is the case, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

I have tested drvier 31.0.101.3430 / 31.0.101.1109, without the secondary screen, the same problem happened.

The only differece is system will not reboot, screen turns black, mouse cannot move and some red lines around the mouse.

From the attached report I found some interesting log, but there is no additional data provided:

An error was detected.
Error message: Entering error state, will request WDF to reset the driver

-------------------------------------------------------------------
An error was detected.
Error message: Changing state to Power State Error, Message: Timed out waiting for CM

An error was detected.
Error message: Entering error state, will request WDF to reset the driver

An error was detected.
Error message: Changing state to Power State Error, Message: Timed out waiting for CM

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

Seems the previous posted errors are not realted, from the error logs near the reboot, I can only see that I have to press the power button to force system shutdown.

Is is possible to be a hardware problem? maybe the graphics card is not tightly connected?

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

It is possible there is a hardware issue, but I would like to investigate further on this. Could you please confirm if the issue happens as well on BIOS screen or before the operating system loads?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

Thanks.

The issue only happens after operating system loaded, randomly.

I try to uninstall version 31.0.101.3251 with pnputil, but operting system bring it back automatically.

Best regards,

xhuan

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response, xhuan

Is the issue happening as well when using the latest recommended driver by Lenovo? You may find that driver by going to the Lenovo Support page (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/), or if you have installed any Lenovo driver update software.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

I have tried everything I can do but still cannot fix the problem, now I have to disable the Intel card and only use the Nvidia card for display.

Anyway thanks for your support.

Regards

xhuan

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We would like to work further on this. Would you agree to continue with the support?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

Sure, if you have any new ideas.

I have tried clean installation and Display Driver Uninstaller, the issue still occurs.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I appreciate the information provided.

I am currently working on this. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Alfa75
Beginner

Hello Guys,

I confirm exactly the same windows crash behavior of Intel Iris Xe Gaphics drivers for :

-Windows 10 pro

-Windows 11 pro

-Windows 2019 pro server

-Windows 2022 pro server

So far the only available fix is to use the Microsoft basic graphic card driver provided by the system.

Hoping Intel will upgrade and fix his Iris Xe Graphics driver ASAP.

HW config : NUC11TNKV7

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello xhuan,

Based on all the information and troubleshooting steps performed so far, this issue seems to be related to hardware issues. Our best recommendation is to contact Lenovo support for further assistance on this matter.

OEM Support contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
pkman
Beginner
I got the same issue, My laptop is a Lenovo CPU i5-1135g7. it happened on the Intel driver's latest version 31.0.x.x.x. I tried testing with a laptop display and an external display resulting in same both of them flickering randomly, pixel meltdown, or pixel crashing. So I'll roll back to the driver version 30.x.x.x it works normally as it should have. I've been recording VDO and taking a photo to keep evidence.
0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

@pkman Which version are you using?

0 Kudos
pkman
Beginner

@xhuan Intel driver version 30.0.101.1960 DCH

0 Kudos
xhuan
Beginner

It didn't work for me.