Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Issues with intel UHD 620 graphics card on intel i5-8250 kabylake processor.

SShuk7
Beginner

Product: Hp Probook 440 G5 Base Model

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit), Linux (All Major Distros)

A few months back I bought an hp probook 440 g5 base model with 1Tb hdd, 8gb ram and an Intel 8th gen i5-8250U kabylake processor with intel UHD 620 graphics. Since I use linux I installed Ubuntu Linux but I noticed white lines in live iso itself but didn't pay attention to them. But after I installed the linux the white lines started flashing randomly on my screen very frequently 1 line at a time.Eventually this problem was not only limited to Linux as it started appearing in Windows 10 as well. With much effort I found a reddit post with people facing flickering problems after installing linux with pcs having intel UHD 620 and the post said to apply some kernel parameters to GRUB bootloader which I did it didn't fix my problem completely but it did have a positive effect I faced this problem on linux less frequently. I entertained my doubt about having a faulty display since the problem did not appear in external hdmi output but then I tested my pc on bios screen as well as windows recovery screen and both the times I didn't see any white lines on my screen for hours I even resetted my pc which took 2 hours and still no white line in hp logo screen. In the end I ran out of all the option so I request intel to look into the issue and if it really is related to drivers please fix it or if anyone else in the community has a fix for it then please help!

I switched to windows again and the problem seems better with Microsoft Basic Display Driver and problem appears on intel driver so it probably is a driver issue. On linux I tried many suggestions given by maintainers of drm branch of linux and all some them helped with the problem but the problem returns after waking display from sleep.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SShuk7,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have the following information:

• DxDiag* report.
  1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

• What is the latest graphics driver(s) you have tested?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SShuk7
Beginner

I have attached the dxdiag file .

The latest driver that I am currently using is 26.20.100.7584

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SShuk7

Thank you for the report provided.

We noticed that the issue has been reproduced when running Linux Live ISO and after installing Linux (which most likely is running a graphics driver provided and maintained by the Linux distribution you were running) and also the issue happens within Windows® environment (less noticeable when using Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter).

It is not clear if you have tried the customized drivers provided by your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), in this case, HP, so we kindly recommend you to try a clean installation of the graphics driver following these steps:

1-  Download the latest OEM driver from the HP website and save it on the computer. Refer to "Driver-Graphics (2) >> Intel® Video Driver and Control Panel", version 26.20.100.7263.

* https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-440-g5-notebook-pc/17047134

2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3- Uninstall any graphics driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel (if there is any) from Control Panel >> Programs and Features. (or from Windows® >> Apps & Features).

4-  Restart the computer.

5-  Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 2 through 

6- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel HD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Programs and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1.1- Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

6.1.2- In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

6.1.3- Click on 'Uninstall'.

6.1.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

7- Install the driver that was downloaded in step 1.

8- Restart the computer.

9- Reconnect to the Internet and report back the behavior.

10- If the issue persists, please provide the following details:

• 10.1- Pictures or a short video showing the behavior of the white lines:
  • 10.2- Just to confirm as you mentioned before, does the issue only happens on the built-in display? (external displays are not affected, is this correct?)
  • 10.3- Does the issue happen despite the app in use? (I mean, do the white lines remain on top of the window's apps?)

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

* Links to third party sites and references to third party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
SShuk7
Beginner

Thank you for the support. I have tried the drivers from boh HP, Intel as well from Microsoft update and all have same problem. But recently I observed a few things:

1.​ The problem is not captured in a screenshot.

2.The problem does not appear on an external display conncted via HDMI.

So, perhaps it is a hardware problem and not a software one, hence I have contaced HP and filed a complaint since my laptop is still in warranty and I hope my problem will be resolved soon.

Once again thank you for your support.​

0 Kudos