Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20737 Discussions

N5105 4K Color Space and Refresh Rate Question.

RGOLD
Beginner

Hello,

Using my 4K Samsung smart TV and Windows 11, unable to set RGB more than 30Hz @

3840 x 2160 VIA HDMI.

Why is that?

I can only get 60Hz @3840 x 2160 when selecting YCbCr 4:2:0 color space. This setting will usually makes standard text look fuzzy and reduces its clarity.

NOTE: I did a clean install of the latest graphics driver but the issue still exists.

The connected computer is: 

MeLE Quieter3Q Fanless Mini PC, Windows 11 pro, Celeron N5105, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor II

The HDMI port corresponds to version 2.0, which means you can output a maximum of 4K @ 60 Hz. To do this, please connect a "Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" to the TV and activate the Input Signal Plus option within the TV settings:

MUC_0-1715375900623.png

0 Kudos
RGOLD
Beginner

Doing so will cause the Samsung TV to show "No Signal". 

Tried different 2.0 HDMI cables.

Looks like there is computability issue with Intel driver. 

I was able to get signal with different a computer (NVIDIA graphic card) but not with Intel.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Have you tried using the Intel PC with the same cable as the Nivdia PC?

0 Kudos
RGOLD
Beginner

Yes, same HDMI cable.Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Yes that looks good. Then we can exclude the cable.

4K @ 60Hz RGB 8-bit = 18 Gbps TMDS

The N5105 should be able to do that too. This is a Jasper Lake platform.

A soldered-down 11th generation Intel Celeron N5105 processor with up to a maximum 15 W TDP (if thermal margin is available).
• 2.00 GHz base frequency, 2.90 GHz turbo frequency, 4 threads
• 4MB Intel Smart Cache
• Intel UHD Graphics
• Integrated memory controller
• Integrated PCH

Intel UHD Graphics for 11th Gen Intel Processors features:
• Max HDMI resolution 4096 x 2160 at 60Hz

The device manufacturer says:

MUC_0-1715555275777.png

1. Can you please specify the TV model?

Input Signal Plus does the following on Samsung TVs:

• If disabled, only 300 MHz TMDS = 9 Gbps is offered to the graphics card via the HDMI cable. With usual CTA video timing for TVs, this corresponds to

4K @ 30 Hz RGB 8-bit
    OR
    4K @ 60 Hz YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit

• When enabled, 600 MHz = 18 Gbps (or Fixed Rate Link depending on model) is offered. HDR also only works if more than 9 Gbps is available. Since the manufacturer of the Intel PC explicitly states HDR, the device seems to be made for 18 Gbps.

2. Did I understand correctly that you won't see anything if you activate Input Signal Plus?

3. Please run the Intel System Support Utility (SSU) on your Intel device and attach the output file here.

0 Kudos
RGOLD
Beginner

When I activate Input Signal Plus (In my TV it is called HDMI UHD Color) the TV will display "No Signal" for this specific HDMI that is connected to the Intel graphics.

The Samsung TV model is 65UN800D (2016 model).

Since the N5105 device has no attached display I decided to use my LG laptop (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 ) and I got the same problem. 

With the laptop, the display starts to blink when the TV is connected to the HDMI port (using same HDMI cable). I have disabled the Samsung HDMI UHD color and the TV will show the laptop display with the following display settings:  

RGOLD_0-1715559111425.png

So the issue is also with the Iris graphics. 

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Yes, Input Signal Plus used to be called HDMI UHD Color. The principle remains the same, please see here on page 159.

The laptop is an LG gram 15, 15Z95N-G.AAE6U1

Core i5-1135G7, Iris Xe (Tiger Lake-UP3)

Driver Version: 31.0.101.5382

That's fine.

Unfortunately, LG does not specify the HDMI version number or a maximum resolution anywhere. I have a NUC device with Tiger Lake UP3 myself and my system supports HDMI 2.0a 18 Gbps 594 MHz TMDS (4K @ 60 Hz RGB 8-bit HDR). This is what it also says in the generic overview:

MUC_0-1715629764799.png

However, it is important to understand that the specifications for the chip itself do not necessarily apply to the physical connector, as it depends on what components the motherboard maker (Original Equipment Manufacturer = OEM) uses from the graphics chip to the port.

Please ask both LG and MeLE explicitly about the capabilities of their HDMI ports and describe the problem to their support with reference to this thread.

0 Kudos
crawfish
Beginner

I would guess you're being limited by the HDMI port version or settings on your TV. For example, my Beelink mini PC with an N100 has an HDMI 2.0 port, and that limits it to 2160p @ 30 Hz @ 10 bits or 2160p @ 60 Hz @ 8 bits. My TV OTOH is HDMI 2.1, so it could do 2160p @ 60 Hz@ 10 bits, but the mini PC can't go there, thanks to its HDMI 2.0 port. Also, my Sony TV has settings for the HDMI port which presumably limit what it can handle for compatibility purposes. From memory, the settings are Standard, Enhanced, and Enhanced (Dolby Vision). Interestingly, I have to set the TV to Enhanced (Dolby Vision), else it locks me into Game mode. This doesn't happen with my Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti card in my main PC, which also is HDMI 2.1 and unlocks the higher resolutions / refresh rates / bit depths. I would suggest investigating your TV HDMI port version and settings. You might be able to put it on a port with better capabilities than the one it's on now, and there might also be settings on top of that you can adjust.

0 Kudos
RGOLD
Beginner

No sure what you mean by "HDMI port version". The HDMI setting on this TV has 2 options:

1. HDMI UHD Color = off. This will set Max transmission rateto 10.2 GB/s. --> 60Hz @3840 x 2160, YCbCr 4:2:0 @ 8 bits 

2. HDMI UHD Color = ON. This will set Max transmission rate to 18.0 GB/s. --> 60Hz @3840 x 2160, RGB @ 8 Bits that will Result   

"No Signal" when connecting the Intel GPU.

I don't see any other options.

Unfortunately I had to go back and use my old bulky HTPC that has a dedicated Nvidia Quadro P400 graphics card that works with the

HDMI UHD Color = ON  option.

Using any computer with Intel integrated graphics (I have tried a few different CPUs and drivers) will result in "No Signal" on my Samsung TV, when the option selected is "HDMI UHD color = ON".

0 Kudos