Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

No custom resolution advanced setting

Soohj
Beginner

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056144/graphics/legacy-graphics.html?wapkw=custom%20resolution%20timing

I need to set timing of custom resolution.

Contrary to the post above, my laptop only shows height and width settings, nothing else.

There's no advanced button or something like that.

Intel graphis command center version 1.100.3370.0 (latest on MS store)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22000
IGCC Version: 1.100.3370.0
Language: ko
Physical Memory: 15.8 GB
Current Resolution: 2560x1600

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Processor Speed: 2803 MHz
GFX Driver Name: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
Shader Version: 5.1
OpenCL* Version: 3.0
* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: 12
Hardware-Supported Version: 12
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 9A49
Device Revision: 01
GFX Driver Version: 30.0.100.9955
Dedicated RAM: 0 GB
Shared RAM: 8 GB
Max Supported Displays: 4
GFX Vulcan: 1.2.190
GFX GOP: 17.0.1045

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Soohj,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before?
  2. When did the issue start happening?
  3. Have you tried using a different monitor?
  4. Which port are you using to connect the monitor?
  5. Have you reported this issue to the OEM?
  6. Graphics report, open the Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC), in order to get please open IGCC, go to the support tab, select system diagnostic, click "generate report", save the file and attach it to your response. 

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Soohj
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

I solved it using an EDID editor (custom resolution utility; CRU.exe) + newest driver 30.0.100.9955.

Summary.

My laptop (bundled with win10) : Windows11 clean install 

1. OEM driver + IGCC custom resolution = No advanced option, No properly working scaling option (only 3 options - center, expand, ratio..)

2. OEM driver + IGCC custom resolution + CRU = same above

3. GFX Driver Version: 30.0.100.9955 + IGCC custon resolution = same above

4. GFX Driver Version: 30.0.100.9955 + IGCC + CRU = No advanced option, But now shows "Maintain Display Scaling" option and it works.

-My situation-

I'm using a portable monitor, which is kind of a scam stuff. 

The native resolution was set to be 4k but actual panel was under-resolution.

The EDID of monitor even does not define the actual resolution of the panel.

I tried user defined resolution, but it has sharpness problem. (like resizing image: original size -> smaller size -> original size again)

But I figured out changing the timing of signal (CVT, GTP, etc.) can solve the sharpness problem.

This is why I need the advanced option of user defined resolution.

The above mentioned method works fine with my desktop PC (discrete graphic card, both HDMI and USB-C DP alt.)

It worked in old IVY Bridge laptop with intel graphics control panel (not intel graphics command center)

I bought a new laptop. This is my first time using Intel graphics command center.

I saw many screenshots of Intel graphics command center showing advanced option for user defined resolution.

I think it is kind of bug not showing advanced option.

Other monitors will not have 'the' sharpness problem.

But it would be nice to see if there are any issues with showing the advanced options. (not possible right now)

Thunderbolt 4 (DP alt.)

No.

0 Kudos
Soohj
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

I solved it using an EDID editor (custom resolution utility; CRU.exe) + newest driver 30.0.100.9955.

Summary.

My laptop (bundled with win10) : Windows11 clean install 

1. OEM driver + IGCC custom resolution = No advanced option, No properly working scaling option (only 3 options - center, expand, ratio..)

2. OEM driver + IGCC custom resolution + CRU = same above

3. GFX Driver Version: 30.0.100.9955 + IGCC custon resolution = same above

4. GFX Driver Version: 30.0.100.9955 + IGCC + CRU = No advanced option, But now shows "Maintain Display Scaling" option and it works.

-My situation-

I'm using a portable monitor, which is kind of a scam stuff. 

The native resolution was set to be 4k but actual panel was under-resolution.

The EDID of monitor even does not define the actual resolution of the panel.

I tried user defined resolution, but it has sharpness problem. (like resizing image: original size -> smaller size -> original size again)

But I figured out changing the timing of signal (CVT, GTP, etc.) can solve the sharpness problem.

This is why I need the advanced option of user defined resolution.

The above mentioned method works fine with my desktop PC (discrete graphic card, both HDMI and USB-C DP alt.)

It worked in old IVY Bridge laptop with intel graphics control panel (not intel graphics command center)

I bought a new laptop. This is my first time using Intel graphics command center.

I saw many screenshots of Intel graphics command center showing advanced option for user defined resolution.

I think it is kind of bug not showing advanced option.

Other monitors will not have 'the' sharpness problem.

But it would be nice to see if there are any issues with showing the advanced options. (not possible right now)

Thunderbolt 4 (DP alt.)

No.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Soohj,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Soohj
Beginner

Thank you.

I replied few days ago with more details, but it seems to have gone away with an error.

I'm using a (fake) 4k portable monitor with 3k panel resolution.

The EDID of monitor does not define the real resolution of panel, and it makes sharpness problem.

To solve it, I used custom resolution (user defined resolution) sometimes with changing of video signal timing (GTF, CVT, etc.).

That's why I need the advanced option of custom resolution.

I think it is some kind of bug not showing avanced option.

-> Fixing bug will make it easier to solve the problem.

Anyway, I solved sharpness problem with using custom resolution utility (CRU.exe) + latest driver (GFX Driver Version: 30.0.100.9955)

The latest driver also doesn't show advanced option, But shows more scaling option.

1. OEM driver + user defined resolution = no advanced option, no properly working scaling option (only 3 options; centered, stretched, maintain aspect ratio).

2. OEM driver + CRU.exe (adds panel resolution, CVT-RB2 timing) = same above

3. OEM driver + user defined resolution + CRU(same setting) = same above

3. latest driver + user defined resolution = same above

4. latest driver + CRU(same setting) = same above

5. latest driver + user defined resolution + CRU(same setting) = no advanced option, now shows 5 scaling options (+ maintain display scaling, custom) and maintain display scailing works

1. I bought a new laptop bundled with windows10 and clean install windows11
    2. I don't know if the problem occurs in windows10+OEM driver.
    1. I don't know.
    2. My portable monitor works fine with user defined resolution + timing method in desktop PC with discrete VGA, even in old IVY bridge laptop with Intel graphics control panel (not Intel graphics command center).
    1. My laptop only has USB type C ports, no chances trying other monitors yet.
    1. Thunderbolt 4 (DP alt. mode)
    1. No
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Soohj, 

In this case please try performing a clean installation of the graphics driver and the command center, in order to do this, please follow the next steps:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure "Delete the driver software for this device" is checked

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded on step 1 Restart the computer. 

8. Reconnect to the Internet. 

It is important for you to know that we tried to replicate the issue in different computers and all of them have all the options for customized resolutions, this could mean that the issue can be caused by the monitor, it will be important to try another monitor and see if the issue persists. 

The issue could also be caused by the laptop itself, some OEM's lock or disable settings that could affect the options of IGCC, it is important for you to check with them the supported resolutions and to try to see if any features were disabled by them. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Soohj,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Soohj,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

Josue O. 

0 Kudos
aadim
Beginner

go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Display\igfxcui\igfxcfg\resources

then create a string value 'CustomResolutions' if it already exists then no don't create

open the string value and Enter 'Custom Resolutions'

now check

0 Kudos