Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20720 Discussions

PC freeze and restart if AC power adapter is not connected - Intel HD Graphics 630

ariogiov
Beginner

Hi everyone,

my pc keeps freezing when running on battery and not connected to the AC adapter.

If i boot up the pc on battery, it just crash to bsod and reboots until i get to the advanced boot options.

If the pc is connected to the AC and i unplug it, the desktop graphics get corrupted, i usually can still move the mouse but can't click on anything. It could crash and reboot or it could stay like that until i force reboot the pc.

I came to the conclusion it is an Intel driver problem because if i boot in safe mode or if i disable the integrated graphic card (Intel HD Graphics 630) the pc runs without problems.

A few other details:

- when in safe mode, pc runs fine

- when the integrated graphic card is disabled via device manager, pc runs fine

- i tried installing the newest intel driver from Intel site, no luck

- i tried installing the every intel driver from the pc manufacturer site, no luck

- i tried replacing the battery, no luck

- i tried a fresh win10 install, no luck

My pc is an ASUS N580VD i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz 16GB RAM with integrated (Intel HD Graphics 630) and dedicated (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050).

I tried every combination of drivers (eg. old Intel w/ new NVIDIA, both new, both old etc.).

I get these types of bsod:

- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

- ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

- SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

The minidumps are uploaded here: OneDrive Minidumps share link

Thanks to anyone that can look into them.

Best regards.
Ario.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ariogiov,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. 

To have a better view, I would like to confirm this:

1. Do you have any of the following apps installed Virtual, CloneDrive, XSplit Broadcaster, BitDefender Antivirus, Cisco VPN, Asus GameFirst Service, McAfee Antivirus? If so, try uninstalling the ones you have.

2. Have you checked this issue with Asus? They may need to run some tests on their device to confirm if there are software or hardware issues.

3. Use the SFC and DISM commands. See the file attached.

4. Run the System File Checker and Chkdsk Commands. See the file attached.

5. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
ariogiov
Beginner
Thank you.
This weekend i'll try to follow the steps and let you know the results.

Best regards
Ario
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ariogiov, 

Thanks for the confirmation, I understand you will require more time to follow the recommendations provided. I will be waiting for your next response.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ariogiov, 

I hope you had a great weekend. I would like to know if you were able to try the recommendations provided or if you managed to fix this issue by yourself.

I will be waiting for your response. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
ariogiov
Beginner

Sorry for the late raply.

1. I do not have any of those apps installed.

2. I tried contacting Asus, they are giving me almost the same instructions.

3. Done.

4. Done.

5. Done. The result file is attached to the post and available here, the same folder of the minidumps posted above.

Also, to add to the initial post, a new thing I never tried:

- unplugged the AC adapter, pc froze

- plugged again the AC adapter, pc still frozen

- pressed CTRL+ALT+CANC, pc "unfroze"

- opened the browser and started to edit this reply

- unplugged the AC adapter, pc froze again, but with squared graphic artifacts

- BSOD and reboot

I added another minidump to the OneDrive folder.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ariogiov, 

Thanks for your time. I checked your report and everything seems up to date and based on the troubleshooting performed so far, this issue seems related to the laptop itself.

You can try a different power mode/plan and if this does not work, I recommend you get in contact with Asus since they must some tests on their device to confirm if this is a hardware/software issue and proceed with a replacement if needed.

Change the power mode for your Windows PC: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-the-power-mode-for-your-windows-pc-c2aff038-22c9-f46d-5ca0-78696fdf2de8#Category=Windows_10

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos