Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20642 Discussions

Requesting Intel Employee assistance with ARC 750.

gustarballs1983
Beginner
Hello. I recently bought an AsRock Intel ARC 750 Challanger OC. Despite my efforts, I was unable to make it work on my, intel Core2Quad 9550 and MSI G41-P26 system, the card displays only boot logo, and the screen goes black. The system definetly hangs since i can switch it of with a single short press of a power button ( usually if the system runs it requires ~10 seconds to hard shutdown it). I presume the card has GOP only and lacks vBios, and that thi is the issue i'm dealing with here, could an intel insider provide me with proper vBios and a program to update the mentioned card? I'll be trying to bugtest Topaz Labs Video AI with the card, once I'll be able to boot my pc properly. I'm going to be with you on this one, there's no chance i'm backing out and refunding the card, like most of the forum users from which you get end of input on the forum threads, I'm here to nail the problem down, but i require your help. ( oh yeah as for VideoEenhanceAI I'm limited to v2.6.4 since it's the last version that will run on a system that has no AVX instructions. Later installers, halt with error "Your CPU has no AVX instructions" ). However I've read on the Topaz Labs forums that it is from this version onward that problems arise, and v4125 ARC drivers seem to be last drivers that are bug free for VEAI. Help appreciated. Regards
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are kidding, right?  That is a 16-year-old processor.  Why run a new video card on a 16 year old machine?

Use a 10th gen processor or later.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
gustarballs1983
Beginner

That would be Benny Or Billy Hill?

No I'm not kidding.. that's the stuff I have.. that was affordable so that's what i bought, same with ARC card it's a moderately new model at a price of a Chineese RX590 where I live and there's nothing comparable at a similar price range, so i went ARC. I already have a similar setup with R9 390X and it's doing quite fine as a Topaz Labs VEAI setup. Not the best in the world I know, but at least I don't have to spend a ton of money to get whole new system. I don't have a dozen thousand or more of spare dough to get a new system, so i go with what i have..

Besides I already mentioned in the thread's topic that i specifically request Intel *employee* and not some internet troll for assistance.

I don't care to get an iCore.. those have mostly crappy clocks especially in non turbo mode, and especially if non top-end models for zillions of $.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yeah, I have been a troll for 15 years on the forum and have been called worse.

Anyway, read and learn:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html

0 Kudos
gustarballs1983
Beginner

You're saying, Arc cards wouldn't work at all on hardware older than specified, by design?

that's not the style of Intel I used to knew and respect..

Something crappy had happened to the world since 2010, everything flipped and all things went downhill ( pun not intended this time 😛 ) from then onwards...

Anyways

thanks for the info..

So the Arc card gets shelved for the future use, time to get that chineese RX590 I sepose. At least I know how to get *that* card to work on my system..

Regards

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am just the messenger and passed along a document written by an Intel employee or contractor. 

0 Kudos
gustarballs1983
Beginner

Well yeah..

I did a small reaserch.. turns out not all hope is lost yet..

I already have access to Arc card's firmware updater/downgrader and a nice & simple GUI for it. there's also a whole repository of firmwares which are seposedly orignally came with the card's driver installer.. So I simply ask that I get a firmware that has vBios enabled, or even better a way to self apply the changes to an already existing firmware. It's not that ReBar or pci-e v3.0 are mandatory, it's all artificially set in the firmware..

there's absolutely no reason to gate those cards behind pci-e v3.0 since v1.0a can supply the same amount of power. The only reason would be the system efficiency, but that's my concern as a end user. And I don't expect the firmware i could potentially get here, would be handed out via official channel to everyone,  on the contrary, it would be an unofficial option..

and don't get me going you'll get your card bricked.. there's already an tutorial how to unbrick the card via simple eeprom writer.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What you do is certainly up to you.  Just remember you are trying to run your arc on an unsupported processor, which is running an unsupported OS.   I have access to a system I built with a 9550.  Nice system, nice processor, but I do not expect much beyond its bassic operations on W10 (being unsupported).  I have kept a number of old systems running, and eventually let them go because the cost and  effort of keeping old hardware running is just not worth it.  If they gained value, like a cllassic car, that would be great.  But, the fact is, they do not.

Also, there are a lot of users trying to get arc to work on supported configurations.  Good luck trying to  get yours working, even at a minimal level.

0 Kudos
gustarballs1983
Beginner

thank you for Your wishes,

However I'll wait for an actual employee to chimmie in, rather than converse with a "Super User" who'll tap me on my back and say "..cheer-up pal& good luck"... this is not nessecary.

I do get that some people need it, however this is a bit of iritating to me, I'm not like the mainstream flow, as You may have noticed by now.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Again, do what you want. 

0 Kudos
gustarballs1983
Beginner

Ok, so I finally managed to prepare my system for a new GPU ( bigger drive, new windows install[ a whole hassle with this one],then the usual.. windows update, m$ store updates, then the new winget updates, plus updating all system drivers, now anxiously awaiting an intel technician or engineer to chimmie in on that vbios mod for my AsRock Arc 750 CHallanger OC so that i could finally start using  my card.

And please Mr. Hill, give me a break.. If You can't contribute to the topic in a meaningfull way, pleas don't say anything here, perhaps go help others, i require help from folks with higher rank in the foodchain so to speak..

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I gave you the official document from Intel.  You simply believe you deserve special support.  

This is a community forum.  If you do not understand that, let me know.  You have no special privileges, nor do you deserve special attention, especially with an unsupported system.  You do understand what "unsupported" means, correct.

0 Kudos