Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Reshade on DirectX 9 games crash

Darius54
Beginner

Faulting application name: MassEffect3.exe, version: 1.5.5427.124, time stamp: 0x50d4cab0
Faulting module name: D3D12Core.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1266, time stamp: 0x7ba6fdde
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Faulting application name: MassEffect3.exe, version: 1.5.5427.124, time stamp: 0x50d4cab0
Faulting module name: igd12um32xel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6220dab0
Exception code: 0xc0000005

seems to be a problem because Intel Iris Xe (96e) tries to load D3D12Core.dll even though it's not needed (in mass effect 3 and some other DirectX9 games that i try to run reshade in)

i have tried removing the igd12um32xel.dll file and it causes Mass Effect 3 to say unsupported graphics hardware and mentions Iris Xe Graphics which tells me that games runs with Intel graphics before switching to my nvidia 3070 gpu even though i have forced mass effect 3 to use nvidia 3070 gpu in Nvidia control panel and graphics settings in Windows Settings

these games work fine (with reshade too) if i disable Intel Iris Xe Graphics in Device Manager and restart my laptop or enable the mux switch which forces my laptop to use only the nvidia gpu

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Darius54, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this topic, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was "Mass Effect 3" and the other DirectX9 games working fine on this specific machine before while using an Intel® driver and Reshade?

If yes, by any chance do you remember the Intel® driver version that was installed then?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides installing the Intel® driver that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

Yes this is a new computer, i got it 2 weeks ago and no DirectX9 Games with reshade ran fine with Intel Iris Xe Graphics enabled (tested with both latest generic driver and the latest one from Asus's support site for drivers for this new laptop).

DirectX9 games with Reshade worked fine on my old laptop (i had Windows 10 LTSC 2019 build 1809 on it) that had intel uhd 630, Intel i7-8750h GTX 1070. the driver should have been the latest as of maybe 2 months ago

I've also noticed that videos in MPC-HC (a video player) would just give me a black screen after the video loops at the end to the start of the video, but manually pressing play on the video after it ends would play the video normally from the start. and i got an error from it saying something about D3D9On12 when i have removed this igd12um32xel.dll file (i have now reinstalled the driver to restore that deleted dll file and it works like it used to with the looping video black screen bug)

And lastly i've noticed that the gpu usage on the Iris Xe Graphics in task manager is alot higher than when i had UHD 630 Graphics even though Iris Xe is supposed to be faster in things like playing videos and browsing the web and would sometimes spike to 100% usage even when nothing is happening.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Darius54, Thank you very much for providing that information.

According to the SSU report, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 30.0.101.1631.

It is important to mention that we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on ASUS website and actually, there are no drivers for Windows* 10. The Operating System being used, Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC, is also not validated by ASUS for this computer and those could be part of the reasons why this problem is happening. Especially when using Windows LTSC which only does security updates. So, even though you mentioned that the games worked fine on your previous laptop when using that same OS, for this specific machine it could be a problem since the OS was not tested and approved by ASUS.

You also said that you tested the latest Intel® graphics driver. The Intel® drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work as expected with your specific device. Still, for testing purposes, could you please try a clean installation of driver version 30.0.101.1994 following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

Here you will find additional details on why this issue might be happening and the instructions on how to use the "Compatibility Tool, to run DirectX9 games on Windows 10*:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030981/graphics.html

We also advise to run and install all the Windows updates. In this case, since you are using the LTSC version, you can always get in contact directly with Microsoft Support to confirm if there are any updates on this OS and additionally to confirm if it is fully compatible with DirectX9 games.

Microsoft DirectX (DX) is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Microsoft for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms. It forms part of Windows* Operating System:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

We recommend as well to get in contact directly with ASUS Support to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on the board or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to update it: 

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

I've installed Windows 10 LTSC 2021 build 21H2 which is the same as my asus laptop on to my old laptop with a pentium p6100 cpu with Intel HD Graphics (or Legacy Graphics according to the product page for the P6100 cpu) and all DirectX 9 games ran fine without any issue, and the video didn't have the black screen after looping issue.

My guess is that this is linked with the new Intel Iris Xe Graphics igpu in my asus laptop since the issue with Reshade not working with DirectX 9 games is fixed if I simply disable Intel Iris Xe Graphics in Device Manager and reboot my laptop forcing only the nvidia 3070 gpu to be used exclusively.

I have also tired another DIrectX 9 game called Turok with Reshade and it gave me this more detailed error (image in attachments), from what i can tell the game's DirectX 9 code is getting converted to DirectX 12 and/or DirectX 12 Core which is only happening when Intel Iris Xe Graphics is enabled so it seems to be some kind of new way of optimizing games to run better on newer systems since the Iris Xe Graphics are designed to be used for gaming.

Would is be possible to disable whatever this new feature is that is not present on P6100's GPU and Intel UHD 630 Graphics?

I have also done some digging and found out that MPC-HC (a video player) uses Enhanced Video Renderer which uses DirectX 9 and switching it to an external video renderer called MPC Video Renderer which uses DirectX 11 fixes the black screen after loop issue i was having but now gives me a lag spike when i open a video for the first time. This lag spike is not present if i disable Intel Iris Xe Graphics and use my Nvidia GPU for video playback

From all this, I am guessing that Intel Iris Xe Graphics (or it's Driver) are somehow interfering with how DirectX 9 works (and to some degree DirectX 11 with the lag spike i had with MPC-HC after switching the video renderer to something that uses DirectX 11), Also before switching to the DirectX 11 renderer MPC-HC told me that it was decoding in "Copy-back (Direct)" but after switching to the DirectX 11 renderer the decoding switches to "Native" which i've read gives better performance and is more efficient than Copy-back decoding.

I've also noticed that after a couple of hours of my laptop being turned on that the GPU usage on Intel Xe Graphics increases even higher from doing the same tasks so things like scrolling on websites and watching videos are slow and stutter (jumping to 70% and even 100% usage in task manager for the iGPU), the only fix for this is a reboot that i've found so far.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

i'm 100% sure this all these issues are coming from the Iris Xe gpu or it's driver, cause i just looked into task manager while playing a music video with a static image at 1080x1080 25fps and it had an average of 70% usage just for that static video when using the default DirectX 9 renderer but the DirectX 11 render only had a consistent 20% usage, you can check the proof in the attached images.

i have already tried both the Intel driver provided by asus and the generic one and i have cleaned the them with DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) before installing the other one to avoid any issues

once again, all of these issues disappear the second i disable the Iris Xe gpu and reboot my laptop forcing it to only use the nvidia gpu

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Darius54, Thank you very much for confirming that information and sharing the pictures.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Darius54, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this scenario, we do have some questions on this matter.

We were doing some research about Reshade. Basically, this app allows you to modify the game color, aspect, and some other things. So, we do know why you are using it but, is there any specific setup you are trying to reach?

It also modifies the whole game aspect and lows the performance for what we can see. Is there any link and instructions for us to install Reshade? This is a third-party app and this could be affecting the functionality even though it works on a different GPU.

What happens if you do not use Reshade? Does the same issue happen using the game without being modified and how is this modified? 

We noticed you are talking about dll which are registries and Microsoft libraries. Are you modifying this to run the games? We just wanted to confirm if the games work with no problems without Reshade.

What are the games affected? 

Please share a screenshot of the error or video? 

Does it happen on all Directx versions, 10,11, and 12?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

i just use reshade to add bloom and better screen space shadows to older games, i can live without it but it makes the games look nicer

here's a link on how to install and use it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwj58T-V2a0)

for mass effect 3 with reshade the game launches but gives a black screen and maybe 1 second of audio before it cuts off, forcing me to open task manager to kill the game, and event viewer says that the files responsible for the freeze were igd12um32xel.dll (part of the intel iris xe graphics driver) and D3D12Core.dll which is directx 12... even though this game is directx 9 only, which for me means that the iris xe graphics driver loads in directx 12 .dll files even though they are not necessary which messes with how reshade works. all of this i have already explained in the first post.

all directx 9 games launch and work without issue if i don't install reshade (those being Mass Effect 3, Turok, Crysis in DX9 mode and STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl )

and all directx 10,11 and 12 games work without issue with and without reshade installed

from what i understand reshade works by hooking into the d3d9.dll file and injects its code into the d3d9.dll file to allow for these extra post-processing effects to happen in real time.

but it's strange that it doesn't work anymore, on my old laptop with Intel UHD 630 iGPU and GTX 1070 Discrete GPU reshade worked fine on all games without any workarounds, but now i have to either disable Intel Iris Xe Graphics in Device Manager or enable the MUX switch in Asus's Armory Crate app which does the same thing.

And also MPC-HC has a high GPU usage for the Intel Iris Xe Graphics iGPU in task manager when using the default DirectX 9 based renderer built into it, but switching it to a DirectX 11 based renderer suddenly gives a quarter of the usage for the iGPU, and once again this problem does not exist if i disable Iris Xe Graphics in task manager or enable the MUX switch and use the DirectX 9 based renderer in MPC-HC.

And also after a couple of hours of usage of my laptop the iGPU easily reaches 100% usage on simple things like scrolling on a website causing lots of stuttering, with only a reboot fixing it.

in my opinion this proves these problems have something to the with the Iris Xe Graphics iGPU or it's driver

i have also installed Windows 10 LTSC IoT 2021 build 21H2 (same windows version as my asus laptop with the issues) onto my old laptop that has an Intel Pentium P6100 with Intel HD Graphics (or Legacy Graphics accordion to the product page for the P6100 CPU, it also runs a driver from 2013) and i've tested both Mass Effect 3 with Reshade and MPC-HC with the default DirectX 9 renderer and i've experienced no issues, everything was working as it should.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

i have just installed windows 11 from microsoft's website (using the media creation tool) onto a second partition on my asus laptop and all these issues still persist after installing the drivers provided by asus's support site, there is no change except that looping videos causes Intel Iris Xe Graphics ram usage to spike to 4gb and eventually 7gb on top of the video playback being a black screen (sometimes a black screen, sometimes only showing the last or first frame in the video) on the DirectX 9 Renderer

interestingly Crysis tells me one of the intel gpu driver files are causing the crash this time instead of the d3d9.dll file found in system32, but i think this is random on which file is recorded to have caused the crash in Event Viewer since sometimes Mass Effect 3 complains about d3d9.dll or D3D12Core.dll or igd12um32xel.dll. i've also noticed that the exception code for these crashes always ends with 5.

i had to zip the video due to this website telling me i have no permission to upload video  : P

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

i managed to get all the errors and made a screenshot of all the values that appear the same consistently (fault offset being the same for it's own respective .dll file)   

this is with reshade installed in Crysis in DX9 mode

d3d9.JPG

d3d12core.JPG

igd12um64xel.JPG

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

after more testing i made it so games only run on the Intel Iris Xe Graphics iGPU and the games either crash or don't run the same way as if i have forced nvidia GPU to run the game. This make me think that all games first run on the Intel iGPU before switching over to the Discrete Nvidia GPU, unless i disable Iris Xe Graphics in Device Manager which forces the games to first run on the Discrete Nvidia GPU and ignoring the Iris Xe Graphics.

After some digging on Intel's Community site, i found posts of people dealing with the same issue i am dealing with except for me games run fine if Reshade is not installed. and this one post in particular caught my eye (https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Artifacts-in-The-Witcher-Enchanced-Edition-on-12700K-and-UDH770/m-p/1390293#M108217) 

ans..JPG

this explains why in Event Viewer D3D12Core.dll is sometimes part of the crash, the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver is entirely ignoring DirectX 9 and attempting to translate it's code to DirectX 12 with D3D9On12.dll then run it with igd12um32xel.dll, and after all this happens the game switches to the Discrete Nvidia GPU, and somewhere in the translation from DX9 to DX12 there is some kind of incompatibility with Reshade, I'm guessing this has something to do with DirectX 12 not being supported by Reshade or Reshade trying to read the now translated DirectX 12 code as if it still is DirectX 9 code.

But all of this still doesn't solve the issue with MPC-HC's high GPU usage when playing video and the eventual slow down of video playback which can only be fixed if i restart my laptop (the looping bug is always preset and can't be fixed with a restart), as well as the issue with scrolling sometimes stuttering on Firefox with 100% GPU usage in Task Manager which like the last issue it can only be temporary solved by restarting the laptop, or by disabling the Iris Xe Graphics in Device Manager.

From what i understand here, all of these problems are coming from the removal of native DirectX 9 support from the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver, the only solution being is to try to release a Driver with DirectX 9 enabled/restored since modern programs still rely on it on top of old video games. or at the very least have an option to enable native DirectX 9 support in Intel Graphics Control Center.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Darius54, Thank you very much for clarifying those details and providing that explanation.

We will continue with our research on this matter. Once I get more updates, I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

i've discovered a new issue, hibernate and sleep stop working around the time when the video playback becomes choppy and slow in MPC-HC (i'm guessing these two issues are linked in some way). when i hibernate or sleep the laptop's screen turns black as it usually does when hibernating but the power button remains turned on for about 10 minutes and then the laptop powers off, and when i start the laptop , it starts like if had just shut it down or restarted it with no programs open from when i hibernated it.

in Event Viewer it says   Event 6008 "The previous system shutdown at 09:09:53 on ‎07/‎07/‎2022 was unexpected."

Event 16 "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001."

Event 161 "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

i used to have similar issue with hibernate not working on my older intel UHD 630 graphics laptop which i fixed by using a driver from 2019 for it. unfortunately there are only a handful of driver versions available for Iris Xe graphics all of which have this issue, even the latest beta version which makes all the colors very dull on my screen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Darius54, I Just received an update on this matter.

After trying to replicate the issue in our Intel® lab, we just wanted to report that the game works fine without using the "ReShade" application. When we open the game through "ReShade" we did receive a crash error message: "Exception caught in main. CRASHLOG.TXT". We are having issues running the game with ReShade. 

So, for this scenario, based on those results, it is important to mention and in order to avoid providing false expectations, that we cannot commit to fixing this issue since we prioritize running the game as intended by the game's developer and their recommended settings.

Regarding the new issue, we will do further research in that regard and we will provide further details as soon as they become available.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

what about the issue with even the the most basic task such as scrolling up and down in a browser causing 100% usage in the Iris Xe graphics after a certain period of time? and hibernate and sleep not working after this high gpu usage bug triggering in the Iris Xe Graphics?

have you tried playing a video in MPC-HC with the default "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)" selected which is DirectX9 based (https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/) and enabling repeat in any video then skipping to the last few seconds of the video for the video to repeat to the very start and get stuck on the last frame of the video while the audio plays fine with intel Iris Xe graphics getting a sudden 50% usage in task manager?

from what i understand, most of these issues come from the removal of native DirectX 9 support from the intel graphics driver which causes these issues, could you try to somehow get DirectX 9 support added again in maybe a beta driver to test?

sorry if i sound rude from all this but i am getting really tired of having to restart my laptop every couple of hours to temporary fix the first issue above, on top of sometimes not having hibernate or sleep work.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Darius54, Thank you very much for your response.

We will try to reproduce the issue related to MPC-HC in our Intel® lab. Just for us to make sure, even though you already explained most of the actions in this scenario, could you please provide the specific steps that you followed one by one so we can try to replicate the issue in our Intel® lab?

We think both issues are different and not related, based on that we wanted to check:

How are you making the videos look choppy?

Are you applying Reshade to videos too? 

What is the app to repro the videos?

Does the problem happen just when using MPC-HC?

Are the videos stored locally on your computer?

If not, do you have a link where we can download them?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Darius54
Beginner

the videos become choppy on their own after some time, and after this time passes hibernate and sleep stops working on top of the video becoming choppy.

no i don't apply reshade to videos

a don't know what you mean by repro the videos

no, the browser too becomes stuttery and choppy when scrolling on sites after this bug triggers, overall gpu usage for Intel Iris graphics increases by 2-4 times, so from 20% watching video in MPC-HC to 50%-70% and scrolling on websites somehow uses up 100%

yes the videos are locally stored

this bug occurs with all video that are high enough resolution (from about 480p)

i've also noticed another game with a new problem, Garry's Mod which uses DirectX 9 has really low framerates at around 40-80 fps and heavy stuttering with the Iris Xe Graphics GPU enabled, but easily gets 200+ fps with Iris Xe Graphics GPU disabled. This is with the game running on the dedicated Nvidia GPU with both the Intel GPU being enabled and disabled

So it seems that the Intel Iris Xe Graphics GPU also somehow impacts the Nvidia GPU, especially in DirectX 9 Games

I just checked task manager and somehow the Intel Iris Xe Graphics GPU has 70% utilization even though the game is running on the Nvidia GPU which has 30% utilization, closing the game immediately brings both gpus to 0% utilization....

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Darius54, Thank you very much for sharing those aspects about the videos.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get more information I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Darius54, I just received another update on this matter.

We will try to replicate the issue with the videos in our Intel® lab while using MPC-HC. 

By any chance, do you have a link where we can find the videos that you are reffering to? The link you provided previously does not seem to be working.

And if you can provide the steps that you followed to reproduce the issue that will be very helpful as well for us trying to duplicate the issue. 

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Darius54, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos