Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

Resident Evil 2 HDR Greyed Out - Arc A770 16GB

envisioning
Novice

Running Intel Arc A770 16GB (AsRock Phantom Gaming Edition) with latest drivers (4972), on Windows 11 (up to date).

4K display connected over HDMI 2.1.

Running the Steam version of Resident Evil 2 (2019) on the latest update.

Only a single monitor is connected to the PC.

The HDR option in Resident Evil 2 is grayed out. There are no issues with other GPU brands, this appears to be an Intel Arc issue. HDR can be enabled by users running Nvidia and/or AMD.

I have tried every possible option from turning off Auto-HDR in Windows 11 to running Windowed Version, Full Screen, etc. Nothing changes the HDR being greyed out in Resident Evil 2 Options. I tried turning VRR on/off... and many other settings to no avail.

Resizeable Bar is enabled.

This is the Steam Distribution of Resident Evil 2 Remake

This issue is exclusively with Resident Evil 2 - I can get HDR to work on all of my other games.

I am using a 77" Sony OLED A80K with HDMI 2.1 running at 120Hz @4K

Attached is my Log file.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello envisioning,

Thank you for reaching out to the Intel Communities. We are glad to help you resolve the issue with the HDR option being grayed out in the Resident Evil 2 game's settings.

To address your concern, we suggest you we advise you to run the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and then reinstall the latest driver version, 31.0.101.4972 to ensure that there are no corrupted files from the previous drivers. Please note that the previous driver installation files and leftovers can affect your system's functionality. DDU will remove all the previous driver installation files. Kindly let us know if the issue persists even after installing the latest graphics driver.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just a comment:  It is a shame that Intel must rely upon a 3rd party utility (DDU) to install their graphics product, especially when the ARC driver offers the option for a clean installation. 

As I said, just a comment.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
envisioning
Novice

Totally agree. The website is loaded with clickbait... Users beware

0 Kudos
envisioning
Novice

I downloaded DDU and followed its instructions for maximum compatibility (ran in Safe Mode). 

No change in the HDR settings being greyed out. I also attached screenshot proving my TV and Windows 11 are using HDR.

NOTE:

To anyone else trying this method, the DDU websites have a TON of click-bait. Not really a fan of this method.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Intel needs to fix the "clean install" option in the driver install, and issue a disclaimer when recommending DDU.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello envisioning,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on the use of the DDU software. We appreciate your opinion and suggestions, as they help us improve our products and enhance the user experience. We will pass your feedback on to the relevant team for consideration.

Regarding the HDR issue, we need some time to investigate it internally. We will provide you with more details about this problem as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello envisioning,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Our priority is to target the most popular games and apps to focus our efforts on providing a high-quality, stable experience for the broadest set of users. We will continue to improve our software performance and compatibility throughout 2023 and beyond. While we can’t accommodate your request at this time, please watch this article on our website for any possible changes to this situation.

We will now proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
envisioning
Novice

I understand that this game does not fall into the "popular" category, but I do believe there are aspects to this issue that are presenting itself in other games.

I have already found that this issue exists for Assassin's Creed - Origins. Same issue. HDR is greyed out and I cannot turn it on. It also was present for Call of Duty - WW2 but I was able to get it to work after some Windows settings tweaking, none of which were fruitful for Assassin's Creed Origins or Resident Evil 2.

Assassin's Creed looks amazing so far so I cannot complain - I believe the Windows HDR is handling it nicely.... whereas the Resident Evil 2 looks washed out and terrible no matter what setting I choose.

I guess I have to open another thread for the Assassin's Creed? I just hope your team sees this for future learnings.

There are also issues with OpenGL games such as Wolfenstein New Order. FPS drops to like 20fps for many parts of the game. Again, my goal is to idenify the issue so that it is fixed for other titles / future issues.

Regards,

envisioning

0 Kudos