Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20640 Discussions

Screen bugs w/ Arc A770

pschulz
Novice

Hello,

a few months ago (November?) I started having weird visual bugs around the time I've updated my BIOS.

I've thought it had something to do with fTPM failure due to the BIOS update or with windows as I did some GPU driver updates since then, but had not fixed these things until yesterday evening. 

As I was having these problems again, I just searched the web and found this post which shows the exact same problem (please watch his attached video, as I don't have one) 

It happens a lot when having multiple programs and full-screen game(s) open at the same time.

Mostly after switching window tabs. 

There are times, where the screens just black out for a few seconds and probably reloading the driver(?), also some rare occurrences where after that a YouTube video playing shows the windows background and the video itself cycles the display from one side to another and repeating. 

A workaround which has worked the most time was...

- in games: switching outside and back inside the game multiple times and eventually closing some other windows 

- in browsers: closing all browser windows and opening them up again, but this worked only for a short period of time

As mentioned in the linked post I've attached SSU logs.

System:

GPU: Intel Arc A770 (16GB) - v31.0.101.5085

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-F

BIOS: v3404 (before v2403 I think)

Displays: 2x AOC CQ32G1

I'd appreciate your help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz, 

I noticed that your graphics driver is not updated, please update them to the latest version at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html and let us know if the issue still occurs.

Are you seeing the visual corruption on both displays or only in one of them? Can you test with a different display make and model?

Have you also tried loading your default setting in BIOS after the update?

Since you reference another thread, did you also see the BSOD with error "Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error" as noted in the other thread?

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz,

I am just checking in about the screen bugs with your Arc A770. Were you able to update your graphics driver? Did the issue still persists after doing so? Feel free to let us know by replying to this post.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
pschulz
Novice

Hello Ramyer, 

thank you for the quick reply.

In fact I was able to fix this problem, at least it didnt happen since then.

After resetting fTPM and re-enabling ReBar (got deactivated after BIOS update or with fTPM issue) it started working again.

I had multiple GPU driver updates since the problem and neither one of them fixed it and I am still at the posted driver version, since the assistant returns an unexpected error when trying to download it and hadn't done it manually for now.

But if you need some more information for further investigations:

- the corruption started appearing mostly on one screen, moving the windows to another may have helped rarely

- I had no BSOD

- new displays had the same problem

- reference to other thread: no issue in BIOS

- reference to other thread: swapping cables did not work

- reference to other thread: GPU is directly connected to the port

If you want, I can update my BIOS again, since there is another new version available and see if it breaks something again.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz,

Thank you for sharing with us the steps you have taken. Re-enabling the resizable is also one of the steps that need to be taken to set up your Intel Arc. You may also visit this link for more details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html

If you want you can monitor your system for a couple of days more and let us know if the issue reappeared. We just want to make sure everything is working fine in your system before we proceed with closing this case. If you want us to close this as well, we can do so and you can post a new question in case you need further assistance. Let us know which works best for you.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello pschulz,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
pschulz
Novice

Hey there!

I had still some smaller issues (sudden short duration black screen, also seen in the video) and was trying to figure out when they are appearing. 

But just now I had another encounter with some of the bugs mentioned in my post

There are times, where the screens just black out for a few seconds and probably reloading the driver(?), also some rare occurrences where after that a YouTube video playing shows the windows background and the video itself cycles the display from one side to another and repeating. 

I have uploaded a YT short showing this behavior. https://youtube.com/shorts/bcK-r0aSqZU and this https://youtube.com/shorts/Cl9xeBbckQU 

The screen turning black is happening on its own & doing it still after fixing TPM & ReBar, I just stopped the footage at this time. 

The blue-thingy you see is my desktop wallpaper.

Most of the times I saw this, it was like in the second video -> the bug in the windows video player with the moving desktop wallpaper

Please do overlook the dirty screen, I still haven't cleaned it this year 😞

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz, 

Thank you for responding back to us. Would you be able to share with us the wattage and model of your PSU? The reason for this is sometimes the flicker issues is related to the power supply. Just to confirm as well, did this issue occur after you update your BIOS to the newest version available? Additionally, what type of port is the GPU connected to? Please also share the screen resolution and refresh rate that the system is using for further isolation. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz

I am just looking for an update regarding the information we requested. Kindly please let me know about this information so we can identify the next steps that needs to be taken to solve the visual bugs that you are experiencing.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
pschulz
Novice

Hello!

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy these days.

Yes this issue started happening around the time of update with the other problems (it was like October 2023, so no clear memory when it truly started) but never did before - so personally I don't think it has to do with the PSU, since this my build has been done a few days after Arc 770 release (due to shipment) - around a year prior to first problems.

Nevertheless...

- the PSU is a 650W be quite! Pure Power 11 FM 80+ Gold

- GPU is directly connected to PCIe 4.0 x16

- 2x NVMe installed (but way earlier than bugs)

- both displays at 2560x1440, 1x 75Hz (HDMI) & 1x 144Hz (DP, Main display) --> bug is happening on either screen

- GPU (or whole system overall) is not overheating or something

- I want to emphasize that this started a year after building this system

I want to mention again, that this issue is another than the reason I posted this report, but they did go hand-in-hand with each other.

Also *this* only happened 2x or 3x after fixing the main problem.

We never can be certain, but I looking back, I am almost sure, that this is happening mostly on days where the system is running the whole day (home office / days off)

Are there any logs from the driver/gpu I can send you or any other which could helpful?

If it's starting again, I will look into windows' event monitor, eventually they are logging something meaningful

Happy easter, and like always... thank you for your help!

Patrick

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz, 

Thank you for sharing this information. As of the moment, this information is plenty. I will proceed in coordinating this with our team for now and give an update on this thread if we need additional information from you. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. We are close to further isolating the issue for you. Kindy please send try the following: 

1. In Intel Arc Control go to Performance Tab> Configure> Reset default settings 
  2. If you have the Intel Graphics and Command Center in your system, kindly please try uninstalling this software. 
  3. If the same visual bugs occur, kindly please try a clean OS installation in your system.

I just want to ask as well, would you be able to try a different make and model of monitor in your system? This is to identify if there any compatibility issue as we noticed both the monitors are AOC. 

Would you also be able to try the Arc A770 on a different pc? If you are what were the results? I will be waiting for your reply, 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz, 

I am just looking for an update regarding the information we requested. Kindly please let me know about this information so we can identify the next steps that needs to be taken to solve this issue.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pschulz,

I hope everything is alright in your end. As we have not heard a response from you in the past days, we will proceed in closing this case. Should you need further assistance in the future, feel free to create a new post as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos