Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20711 Discussions

Screen randomly turns black 4k@60 Arc 770

urcereal
Beginner

Hi,

Updated to the latest driver package (gfx_win_101.4644.exe) and now after an hour or two the screen starts flickering to black whenever the mouse is moved I assume triggering a screen refresh. A reboot resets the display but the flickering returns. Tried to dowgrade the driver but the flickering remains. I think the card firmware was also updated in this driver package. First problem in about 8 months.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I see that you are having flickering issues after updating the driver of your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics (16GB), I understand that this can be annoying, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Sorry, should have been clearer:

GPU: ASRock Arc A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB OC A770 PGD

Monitor: AOC U28P2U/BS 28" 4K UHD

Port: DisplayPort

Managed to downgrade the FW with Asrock utility (Driver: 31.0.101.3959) and now GPU is back to normal.

https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.de.asp?id=528

I'll have another attempt to re-install the latest driver with Firmware update. Will also switch to hdmi cable to see if that changes anything.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

I appreciate for keeping me informed, I will wait for you to re-install the latest driver with a Firmware update and switch to HDMI cable to see if that changes anything.

Also, remember to run the Intel® SSU this is going to help me to know your system environment and start with the troubleshooting.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Updated driver to the latest beta (gfx_win_101.4669.exe) and swapped cable from DisplayPort to HDMI and then opened the series of windows and apps that were giving me a problem and all is good. Swapped back to DisplayPort and the problem is back. It is triggered immediately I open Visual Studio Code and then continues if I move the cursor over the VS Code window and only with DisplayPort. Not sure why the VS Code window refresh and driver are so unhappy over DisplayPort but that seems to be the issue.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your answer, and for letting me know all the steps you have taken.

I see you have updated the graphics driver to the version 31.0.101.4669, but just to check if the behavior changes, please perform a clean installation of the graphics driver Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). For guidance, How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver, and then reinstall the graphics driver 31.0.101.4669.

Let me know the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Same result. Used DDU in Safe Mode to remove driver and rebooted. Reinstalled 31.0.101.4669 and swapped between HDMI and DisplayPort. HDMI working OK, DisplayPort blanks screen as soon as Visual Studio Code starts and continues to blank screen if you move cursor over the Visual Studio Code screen.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your for completing the steps.

I will start with an investigation to provide you with the next steps, as soon I have further information I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your time.

Please answer the questions below for clarification this is going to help us to have a better understanding of the issue:

• Did the issue start after updating the firmware with (gfx_win_101.4644.exe) or the issue was present before that? If so, does rolling back and downgrading the card fix the issue? or what fixes the issue is using HDMI?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Were you able to check the previous post?  I would like to know if the issue started after updating the firmware with (gfx_win_101.4644.exe) or if the issue was present before that.

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Sorry, missed that question. Yes, the problem started with gfx_win_101.4644.exe and it could be fixed by rolling back the driver/firmware using an Asrock utility (Driver: 31.0.101.3959) which was a firmware update to solve idle power usage (this link https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.de.asp?id=528). Once rolled back DisplayPort works without issue.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your explanation, that helps a lot. 

I will continue with the investigation to provide you with the next steps, and as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your wait time.

We have been working on the investigation, now there are some recommendations that may help, please follow them and let me know the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Tried all of the steps in your previous post (LG 4K monitor), HDR on/off, adaptive sync on/off and driver update to 31.0.101.4676 and nothing changed. Now the good bit. Just updated to 101.4824 and DisplayPort is now back to normal. I notice there is a firmware update with this driver so I assume that fixed what was broken. Visual Studio Code now opens without the screen blanking and doesn't blank the screen when you move the mouse over the VSCode window.

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Spoke too soon. It now doesn't happen instantly but after a period of time the screen starts to blank when I move the mouse over an open VSCode window . . . almost like it is consuming a finite resource. Now I recall this is how the problem first manifested itself. Later driver updates would blank the screen as soon as VSCode was opened but now it's back to a delay before the blank screen starts to happen. HDMI is still working with issue. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your reply, that has been really helpful. 

Please answer the questions below for clarification:

• Before you install the graphics driver version 31.0.101.4824, did you clean install the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU?
  • Did test the U28P2U monitor to verify if turning Adaptive Sync and HDR on/off makes any difference?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Yes, did a clean install (DDU) before trying the new driver. Also repeated the HDR and Adaptive Sync on/off tests with the new driver.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your response and for completing all the steps.

I will continue with an investigation and as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your time and patience. 

We have been working on the investigation and now we have a doubt, can you clarify this "I am confused by this statement from the first post: "First problem in about 8 months". Did you have any other problems before those 8 months?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Were you able to check the previous post? Did you have any issues before those 8 months?

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

No, the issue started when I updated to gfx_win_101.4644.exe. Prior to this the GPU had no issues that I noticed.

0 Kudos