Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20816 Discussions

Second monitor screen flickers on and off at random - Intel Graphic Card

nickcrv06
Beginner

Recently, my laptop has developed a screen flickering issue whenever I connect a second monitor to the HDMI port. This problem is new, despite using the laptop for five years without encountering such an issue before. Strangely, the flickering only occurs on the external monitor, while the laptop's main screen remains unaffected.

Here are my current specifications:

• Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • Model: Dell XPS 15 9570
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H
  • Internal GPUs:
    • Intel UHD Graphics 630 - Driver version 27.20.100.96.64
  • Dedicated GPU:
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design - Driver version 30.0.14.9649

Despite numerous troubleshooting attempts, the issue persists:

1. Replaced HDMI cable and tried with other external monitors.
  2. Used DDU to fully uninstall GPU drivers (both Intel and NVIDIA).
  3. Installed the most recent drivers and used the 'Fresh clean' option to remove old driver references.
  4. Tried downgrading BIOS, and GPU driver versions, and rolling back graphic drivers.
  5. Scanned for hardware updates, but no issues were found on any driver.
  6. Checked and adjusted refresh rate settings.
  7. Examined power options.
  8. Installed IGCC but found no useful information.
  9. Fully reset my PC while keeping files, but the issue persisted after installation.
  10. Booted from a Live Linux distro USB flash drive (Ubuntu), and the second monitor displayed without flickers, indicating no hardware damage.

Here are the drivers I gathered when running the Live USB flash drive:
    - VGA Controler: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
    - 3D Controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile]

Refresh Rate:
Despite extensive research and trying all possible refresh rates for my external monitor, the issue remains unresolved. While changing the refresh rate has resolved the problem for many, I've experienced either flickering or no signal on the screen. Unfortunately, my laptop does not support Dynamic Refresh Rate, requiring me to manually test each option.

There are instances where the monitor appears stable for a while, only to start flickering again until there is no display at all. Despite numerous troubleshooting attempts, I have been unable to pinpoint the cause of the issue. It seems to be related to both Microsoft and Intel drivers, but I am at a loss for further troubleshooting steps.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or insights into identifying and resolving this issue. Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TylerZach900
New Contributor I

Hello there Nick it seems like you've been through quite a bit of troubleshooting to fix the screen flickering issue on your laptop when connecting a second monitor to the HDMI port. Given that the problem only occurs on the external monitor and not the laptop's main screen... you covered a wide range of troubleshooting steps, including replacing the HDMI cable, uninstalling and reinstalling GPU drivers, adjusting refresh rate settings, and even booting from a Live Linux distro to rule out hardware damage..

I think your laptop doesn't support Dynamic Refresh Rate, which complicates the troubleshooting process. It's possible that the issue could be related to both Microsoft and Intel drivers, but pinpointing the exact cause remains elusive.

Try the following suggestions here, but before that I suggest to undo if there is any changes done to isolate the issue

• Update the Intel graphics driver:
  • Make sure that the operating system is up to date:
    1. Click the Start button.
    2. Search for Windows Update.
    3. Click Check for Updates and run all pertinent updates.
  • In the case of a multi-monitor set up, check if the issue happens when only one display is attached.
  • Try different monitors and display cables. Use straight connections with no video adapters/dongles in between.
  • If the issue is with the VGA cable, use a different video output like HDMI, VGA, or DisplayPort* depending on the motherboard/laptop output options.
  • Check if the flickering issue happens inside the BIOS configuration screen (To access the BIOS, check with the motherboard/laptop manufacturer).
  • If the issue happens on the BIOS configuration screen, it could be a processor issue. Try using the processor on a different known working and compatible system (applies only on Intel® boxed processors). If issue persists, contact Intel Support.
    • In case you have a laptop and the issue is shown on the BIOS, contact the laptop manufacturer.
  • For laptops: Disable the Panel Self Refresh setting in the Intel Graphics Command Center by following the steps in How to Enable and Disable Panel Self Refresh.
    1. On your IGCC program, go to Displays and lower the resolution to the next setting down.
    2. Change the refresh rate to a lower setting.
    3. Put system on full power.
    4. Disable Desktop Window Manager:
      1. Access the Power User menu by right-clicking the Windows taskbar icon.
      2. Select Run.
      3. Type services.msc into the Run dialog box.
      4. Locate Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
      5. Right-click it and select Stop.
      6. Right click Desktop Window Manager Session Manager again.
      7. Select Properties.
      8. Under the General tab, modify the start-up type to Disabled.
      9. Press OK.
  • If you do not have access to the Intel Graphics Command Center, you can change the refresh rate to a lower setting using Windows Advance Display Settings
    1. Right-click the desktop screen and select display settings
    2. Scroll down and press on Advance Display Settings
    3. Choose native built in display monitor (If laptop)
    4. Under Refresh rate Change the refresh rate to a lower setting.
    5. Disable Desktop Window Manager:
      1. Access the Power User menu by right-clicking the Windows taskbar icon.
      2. Select Run.
      3. Type services.msc into the Run dialog box.
      4. Locate Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
      5. Right-click it and select Stop.
      6. Right click Desktop Window Manager Session Manager again.
      7. Select Properties.
      8. Under the General tab, modify the start-up type to Disabled.
      9. Press OK.

You can check this link: How to Fix a Flickering Screen with Intel® Graphics

Tyler
0 Kudos