Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20786 Discussions

Should i install Intel® 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows

SteManda7
Beginner

Hello, I have an available update from Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, Description:
This download installs Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2125 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics, and related Intel Atom®, Pentium®, and Celeron® processors. 

But i get this message:

Installing this graphics driver from Intel will remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM)

If a newer graphics driver is available from your computer manufacturer, we recommend that you install that driver instead. To learn more about installing an Intel driver on your OEM system, refer to this article.

The problem is that my PC's manufacturer is Intel. Specifically i own the Intel NUC8i5BEH (Mini Pc Kit) which has Intel® Core™ i5-8259U CPU and Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655. So i am confused, Should i download the update or will it cause malfunctions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This feature - and warning - is there to help prevent OEM customizations to the graphics driver from being lost. It is primarily there to support Laptops and AIOs which could have additional features - focus/brightness buttons/dials, etc. - that are supported through the customizations to the Graphics Driver Package. Installing a generic driver package from Intel (which wouldn't include these customizations) would result in these customizations being lost and could result in an unstable system.

Now, in your case, this doesn't really apply (aside: so far, only the NUC7ixBN NUCs have ever had a customization in their graphics driver.) and this dialog should not have been generated. Regardless, it has - but you can ignore it; simply checkmark the box to say you understand and want the installation to proceed.

Hope this helps,

...S

SteManda7
Beginner

Thank you for clarifying the matter. So, will it optimize the graphics perfomance if i download this generic driver package, or the difference may not be noticeable? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I can't say that there will be any noticeable improvement in performance. You'll have the latest driver release with the latest bug fixes and optimizations.
...S
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello SteManda7,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Intel NUC8i5BEH. We apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. Please be advised that Technical and Warranty Support for Intel’s NUC 7 through NUC 13 Systems has transitioned to ASUS as of January 16, 2024 please contact https://www.asus.com/support for further assistance. All software, firmware, BIOS support, and security advisories will be supported through ASUS as well.

You may refer to our article below for more information about the transition

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000097279/intel-nuc.html

Best regards,

Jay B.

Intel Customer Support Technician