Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20739 Discussions

Sonic Frontiers, Intel Iris Xe integrated GPU does not render the game world like it should

KayLilac
New Contributor I

Hello! i have been playing the game Sonic Frontiers on my laptop with the intel iris xe integrated gpu but i have been experiencing problems with the game rendering.

this seems to be something ONLY intel gpu's (especially the Iris Xe!) are suffering so please! read this post carefully

IMPORTANT objects like: trees and rocks simply do not render and are invisible wich makes the game world look very dead and causes navigation problems because i keep running into stuff i can't see!!! later islands like rhea suffer the most because it is FULL of trees

- here are some images and how it is supposed to look like:

-here is how it looks:

20230703140816_1.jpg

-and here is how it's supposed to look:

20230703141930_1.jpg

(i achieved the appropriate result on the second image with the use of dxvk BUT, there is a BUT!!! this method is very unstable and WILL make the game crash AND i can't run mods on my game because dxvk uses a dll with the same name as the one the modloader uses. so i really wish a fix could be made to the game!)

-here are more example images:

-you see this? its supposed to be an oasis! full of trees and rocks but theres nothing!!!:

20230703141436_1.jpg

(unfortunately i can't provide an image of how it is supposed to look like because my game CRASHES with dxvk!)

-the characters are meant to be standing on a rock BUT there's no rock!

20230701204007_1.jpg

-also shaders like the ones used on water are missing, shaders that make the game world more pretty: 

-without dxvk (normal. intel gpu in action)

20230703140744_1.jpg

-with dxvk (pretty but super unstable and no mod support!)

20230703142020_1.jpg

(i know it is hard to notice but once you see it, you can'r unsee it!)

-the big smoke effect does not render like it should on chaos island: 

20230703145324_1.jpg

(see how grainy it looks?)

-i also suspect that MANY other shaders do not work at ALL

i really really hope a fix would be made to this as these problems realy impact the experience and many other players who share the same gpu as me also have these problems

i am 100% willing to respond to the intel support team and offer feedback on driver updates related to this game!

i eagerly  await an response!

until then i wish you all the best!

-EDIT!!! i just reached rhea island and just look at this! there are no trees!!!

20230703192210_1.jpg

20230703192151_1.jpg

(this is unacceptable!)

-just look at this screenshot from the INTERNET so you can have an ideia of just how big of a problem this is:

1647864-sonic-frontiers-20221031194442-full-1.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @KayLilac  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics, I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue and try the following steps: 

1. Was it working fine before? 
  2. Could you please provide us with a screenshot of the game settings? 
  3. Please run this utility and attach the report to have more information about your system: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I

yes!! thank you for the response i will gadly reply to your questions, so:

1-no, it has always been like this from the start, other intel iris xe users also have reported these problems on the internet (like on steam forums for an example) but not here. so i'm the first to bring this to intel support.

here's an example of someone reporting this problem outside intel support: 

Captura de tela 2023-07-04 180641.png

2-here are my game settings:

20230704180338_1.jpg

20230704180341_1.jpg

20230704180326_1.jpg

3- here is the file you requested:

i gadly await an reply!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @KayLilac  

Thank you for the information provided so far. 

In this case, try a clean installation of your graphics drivers, using the latest graphics driver. If the issue persists, try this step with your Laptop Manufacturer's driver. 

Note #1: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation and doing the clean installation process without internet connection. 

Note #2: We recommend you checking with your System Manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

If after these steps, the issue still persists, please provide us with the following information to investigate this issue: 

1. Updated / New Intel SSU report. 
  2. Game Store (Steam, Epic, etc.). 
  3. If possible, the Game version. 
  4. Steps to reproduce this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I

thanks for replying! so i have already done clean installations of my graphics driver (both beta and full release) prior to this report and this problem is still present i personally never use the drivers offered by my system manufacturer because they're out of date and buggy.

here are the informations you requested:

1. i don't think a new report is necessary since i haven't made any changes since yesterday and i have already performed all these steps prior to all of this

2. i use the steam store

3. i'm on the newest 1.30 update of the game

4. simple! all you need is a system with the intel iris xe integrated gpu and a copy of the game, open the game, finish the first level, and explore the open world until you see the lack of trees and rocks (IMPORTANT EDIT: doing further analysis i have noticed that minor details like: EXTRA FOLIAGE and PLANT LIFE also fails to render so please also take this into account when doing testing!)

i believe this should be reported to the driver developers at intel so that they can find a solution and deliver a new update that fixes this, as i believe the gpu is totally capable of rendering these things, but i believe that the current driver software is unable to communicate properly with the game's renderer (DirectX 11) and it's pre-compiled shaders plus it's shader system, and is failing to both use the hardware's full potential and display the same visual experience as other users of other integrated gpu's have. i hope you can understand.

i glady await a response! if you want more questions and examples feel free to ask!

0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I

hey there! i'm sorry but i did not know there is a gaming forum here, i have posted about this problem there and linked this thread.

apologies

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @KayLilac  

Thank you for the information provided so far. 

I will do some research on this. As soon as I have updates, I will post them here. 

Also, please avoid posting threads about the same issue, this forum is also correct for this kind of issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

KayLilac
New Contributor I

apologies!!! i'm still new here, i did not know that, sorry for the trouble!

also thanks!! i will happly wait for updates!

0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I

hello there! i just wanted to add some extra stuff i noticed here

-the foliage around structures doens't render:

20230717153152_1.jpg

20230717150525_1.jpg

here's how they are supposed to look (images from the internet):

64794cba64515.jpg

64794cb68758c.jpg

well i just felt like pointing that out. if you guys at intel are working on a fix for all these problems i really hope you all are finding more issues than me, after all i'm just one girl reporting this i can't realistically  find every single problem and report it.

well, good luck there! i hope to see updates soon.

0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I

(repost) Update! the newest game update has fixed the issues!

it seems like the game developers have fixed the problems in the most recent game update, only problem now is that the game runs very badly on integrated gpus now. but i'm sure they will fix it

well, i guess this thread can finally be closed.

0 Kudos
KayLilac
New Contributor I

all the problems are back and 10x worse than before lmao

i won't bother reporting this anymore since you people show no interest in fixing this mess

0 Kudos