Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE when extending monitor on HD4000

MZak
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When I try to extend display to two external monitors, the screen begins to flicker, and eventually BSOD appears saying VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE occured

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Each and every time, with only one exception: if I set both displays to 1024x768 resolution prior to extending display, this does not happen(tried 2 times, both times it worked).

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo G580 laptop

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Nope. Only Intel HD4000 inside.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Two Samsung S24D300 displays on Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

One VGA + one HDMI to DVI cable

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

<td style="border: 0px solid black;...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Svarog:

Bear in mind that video adapters are not supported, I would also like to mention that on order to make the Intel graphics controller work with a 3 display configuration your computer (laptop) requires to have 1 Display port or 1 embedded display port as minimum requirement.

For further reference http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html?wapkw=3-displays Configuration 3 Displays FAQ for Graphics Drivers.

Regards,

0 Kudos
MZak
Beginner

Thank @Amy_Intel for the answer.

What do you mean "video adapters are not supported"? Who gives support to them than?

Also, I am not trying a 3-display configuration, since I am disabling the built-in display.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Intel does not support video adapters, this a matter out of our scope.

"Also, I am not trying a 3-display configuration, since I am disabling the built-in display"

I'm not positive about this configuration, what exactly are you trying to do?

Regards,

0 Kudos
MZak
Beginner

All I am trying to do is connect two screens to the laptop: One through the VGA port, the other through the HDMI port.

Than I configure display settings:

VGA monitor: Enabled

HDMI monitor: Enabled

Built-in monitor: Disabled.

(A total of 2 monitors working)

This works with low resolutions(1024x768 for both displays), so the hardware definitely supports this configuration. Seems like the drivers are failing to handle this.

Also, it is quite a common configuration on quite a popular laptop, and I have scoured the internet for this error, and it seems I am the only one reporting it, so probably it is something local for my computer, either a misconfiguration or a defect.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank your for the clarification.

I have been testing this but the issue did not occurred.

Please try the following;

1. Go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click and go to Uninstall, once there check the box that says; "Delete the driver software for this device" and hit OK.
  2. Turn off your computer.
  3. Install the driver one more time.

Regards,

0 Kudos