Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20641 Discussions

What is max ram for laptop with GL40 chipset?

HHenr5
Beginner

I have a used HP ProBook 4510s laptop. Running 32-bit Windows 10. 2.1 GHz Intel Core2 Duo (T6570). 64 kilobyte primary memory cache, and 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache. 64-bit ready. 250 GB hard drive.

I am considering upgrading my operating system to 64-bit Windows 10 Professional - wherein I can take advantage of (and will likely appreciate) additional RAM. I have two RAM slots - each filled with a 2 GB SODIMM (total of 4GB). The online specs from HP indicate the max RAM for this model is 8GB, HOWEVER, it also seems to indicate (see below) that if I have the Intel GL40 express chipset, the max RAM is only 4GB. I already have 4 GB of ram on board. I don't want to spend the money to upgrade to 8GB (requiring the purchase of two 4GB memory sticks) if my laptop will not support it.

I have two questions:

(1) How can I determine if I have the GL40 chipset? I have tried looking in my Windows 10 Device Manager which does not specify. BelarI have tried running Belarc Advisor. I have looked in my BIOS system configuration. None of the these shows what type of chipset I have. Even HP's technical manuals only show what type of chipsets are compatible with each configuration - not specifically which chipset I have.

(2) Does the following information from HP REALLY mean that the GL40 chipset limits my laptop from upgrading to the otherwise max 8 GM of RAM? Or does it mean that the GL40 chipset can only use 4GB worth of installed RAM? :

"Memory: DDR2 SDRAM, 800 MHz, two slots supporting dual channel memory, 1024/2048/4096 MB SODIMMs, up to 8192 MB total (Up to 4096 MB max on GL40 Chipset)."

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. Run the Intel Chipset Information Utility to determine what chipset you have. The tool can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18498/Intel-Chipset-Identification-Utility?product=2715 Download Intel® Chipset Identification Utility.
  2. It means it cannot use more than this amount of memory. It may not run properly (may not POST or boot) if more memory that supported is installed.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. Run the Intel Chipset Information Utility to determine what chipset you have. The tool can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18498/Intel-Chipset-Identification-Utility?product=2715 Download Intel® Chipset Identification Utility.
  2. It means it cannot use more than this amount of memory. It may not run properly (may not POST or boot) if more memory that supported is installed.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
HHenr5
Beginner

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! It worked! I don't know how I didn't stumble upon this utility in all of my internet searching to figure this out. Can't thank you enough. As it turns out, I do NOT have the GL40 chipset. The utility says that I actually have the Intel Mobile GL45 Chipset – which, as it happens, is not limited to only 4GB. So, I can go ahead and upgrade my memory to 8GB! Woo hoo!

THANK YOU!

Henry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for providing the information above.

To HenrySchaeffer:

I hope that information was useful for you, and yes you can go ahead and use 8GB of memory RAM.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
TatankaGrande1
Beginner

I have two HP ProBook 4510s notebook PCs. To determine which chipset I had installed, I used the free Speccy utility. It does a detailed hardware and OS inventory of the PC. It shows my chipset is GM45/GM47 in the motherboard details section. I was able to install 8 GB of RAM.

GM45 chipset supports 8GB RAM maximum. See Intel specs at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35134/intel-82gm45-graphics-and-memory-controller-hub.html

GL40 chipset supports 4GB RAM maximum. See Intel specs at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35501/intel-82gl40-graphics-and-memory-controller-hub.html

0 Kudos