Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20642 Discussions

can't play youtube videos with Edge vulkan backend flag enabled on Windows 11 and 31.0.101.5382

diegohum
Beginner

Microsoft Edge browser can't play youtube videos with Vulkan backend flag enabled on Windows 11 and latest 31.0.101.5382 Intel Arc driver for i5-13500 UHD770 graphics processor in Asus Prime B760M-A WIFI D4, latest drivers and updates on the system.

With default flags Edge can play youtube videos, but it runs in Skia graphics backend. Selecting Vulkan exhibits glitches in casual browsing and display stutters when scrolling randomly.

I wish to use Vulkan backend in Edge instead of Skia for better performance.

It works well on latest Edge for Windows 11on a i5-6400 processor with Intel® HD Graphics 530 and latest driver available, all browsing is fine. There was the same issue with previous drivers.

Trying to play youtube videos with Vulkan backend in Edge result in error and playback doesn't start.

UHD770 Driver: 31.0.101.5382

Vulkan 1.3.277

latest Chrome Dev 64-bit is similarly affected.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Diegohum,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

To help me further identify the problem and offer you a solution, kindly provide the following details:

• Was Microsoft Edge the only browser that was having an issue?
  • Was enabling Vulkan backend in your system working fine before?
  •  Have you made any changes that might have led to the issue?
  • You mentioned that when playing the video on YouTube on Edge, there was an error message and the video wouldn't play. Please share a video showing that error message.
  • Furthermore, did the issue only occur with driver 31.0.101.5382?

I have tried the steps that you have shared on how to turn on the Vulkan on the back end, and I did not encounter any issues with my edge.

We look forward to your response! 

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
diegohum
Beginner

Hello Carmona,

Thanks for your assistance. Here you are with a recording of the problem with and without vulkan backend for a youtube video.

As fo your questions:

1) It happens with both Edge and Chrome browers, latest versions, with the same Vulkan flag on and off.

2) I am not sure, I can't remember unfortunately. This error happened just after reinstalling Windows 11 from scratch and checking the flag.

3) I have other flags enabled on edge, i haven't disabled them for the test because there are many and would take time to replicate them. Otherwise I have all extensions disabled. No other changes on the operative system.

However, when I tested Chrome with this flag, there were no other flags on and it happened just the same.

4) included in the recording

5) I don't know. I installed Windows 11 with this latest driver. As a curiosity, Vulkan backend works in Fedora Linux 41 on this same machine with latest Chrome unstable, and plays youtube right. Intel-media-driver is the driver version.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Diegohum,

Thank you so much for providing us with the information that we have requested.

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,
Carmona A.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos