Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20814 Discussions

intel iris 5200 drivers not installing on windows10 64

plive
Beginner

Hi all, i'm new to the forum.

i'm sure the question was already posted, but i could not find it. anyhow..

i have a macbook pro 15" with nvidia 750 and the iris 5200

i downloaded the preview iso for win10 64 bit installed using bootcamp.

installation was ok, but the first trouble was when i wanted to install the drivers for the iris that bootcamp downloaded, called intelLegacyHdGraphics64.exe. it failed.

i went to intel site and i dowloaded all available drivers, the intel SDK for ocl applications... 2014.exe, the "opencl runtime 14.2x64. package.. installed correctly.

what i'm not able to install are all drivers i could find on the site for the iris.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng Intel® Download Center

i'm getting always this message: this computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software.

the nvidia 750 works as expected, and i did try everything to install the drivers.

i also tryied to uninstal the nvidia drivers also using the device manager, not just simply disabling it.

and after booting again.. the iris is not listed in the device manager, just the default display. and trying to install the drivers manually failed too, but that was expectable.

if i try to install using the compatibility tool i get the message that the os is not supported.

i suppose that the problem is related to the win10 os change. any hint how to install anyway? or is there a beta available?

thank you

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GZimm1
Novice

The Retina MacBook Pro models with dual GPUs do not provide for use of the integrated Intel Graphics device; only the dedicated Nvidia GPU is recognised in Windows Boot Camp. Thus no Intel 5200 graphics driver is needed. This significantly reduces battery life when running Windows in Boot Camp on these models but as far as I know no solution has yet been found to allow graphics switching in Windows.

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

the switching between the 2 graphic cards is possible. still in windows 7, you have to do this from bios.

to do the same since windows 8, you have to restart in safe mode.

and i assure it works.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/142458/turn-off-nvidia-on-windows-8-1-bootcamp Turn off NVIDIA on Windows 8.1 Bootcamp - Ask Different

why i want to turn off the nvidia graphic card? because the support for opencl isn't awesome as the cuda one, obvious.

and the iris is like 2 time and more faster than the the nvidia one running luxrender and luxmark to benchmark the opencl.

both use opencl, and luxmark as i know became officially the apple app to benchmark their opencl support.

0 Kudos
GZimm1
Novice

Wow, I didn't know that was possible! I have Windows 7 installed but will give this a try with my Windows 10 TP test system. Thanks for the tip!

I was able to manually install the Intel HD Graphics drivers on my 13" rMBP with Windows TP installed in Boot Camp by:

- Deleting the reference to Threshold in the configuration file that prevented installation with Windows Technical Preview

- Modifying the first line in the Windows 8.1 setup section header to [IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.4]

- Restarting in Windows Troubleshoot mode to allow installation of drivers not digitally signed

Cheers

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

you mean that i have to download the zip version of the drivers, hack that file.. and this will make the drivers installable?

explain me how to hack that file.. where to find and so on

0 Kudos
GZimm1
Novice

You need to manually install the driver:

- Download the latest Beta x64 Version (10.18.14.4072 64-bit version)

- Delete the following entry in the configuration file ( igdlh64.ini ) :

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.4]

;no install on Threshold

- Modify the Windows 8.1 setup entry to:

;=====================================================================

; Windows 8.1 Install

;=====================================================================

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.4]

- Restart the system in Recovery Mode (Advanced Startup) and select the option to allow installation of unsigned drivers

- Enter Device Manager and install the graphics driver manually be selecting the modified .ini configuration file

Cheers

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

sorry i can't find this igdlh64.ini file in the latest zip. beside i doubt that that beta is still available for download. i looked for it, but no luck

the only 2 ini files contains 2 lines of text.. pointing to the setup.exe

EDITED: i found them on internet.. downloading

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

well no luck.. whatever the zipped driver version are which i downloaded.. i had no luck in finding this ini..

thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
GZimm1
Novice

The latest Beta version is available here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24553 Intel® Download Center

However, when I tried to disable my NVidia discrete graphics card on a rMBP 15" running Windows TP in Boot Camp, the Intel Graphics chip wasn't listed under Device Management upon restarting, so I wasn't able to install the HD Graphics driver manually. I don't have Windows 8.1 installed anywhere (I prefer Windows 7) so I can't test this under that operating system. But unless the integrated graphics device is listed somewhere else in Device Management it doesn't seem to be recognized in Windows TP even after disabling the discrete graphics device.

Cheers

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

this is exactly the problem, the iris is not listed. even you uninstall the nvidia card drivers there from device manager(the only working way), once you reboot the macbook you open display setting or device manager you will see that you have the microsoft monitor adapter, or whatever it is called. if you run the nvidia drivers, then the nvidia card will be again visible and available without reboot, while the iris drivers can't be just installed.

the file to which you refer should be now this Setup.if2? not an ini anymore

is there a way to safely place manually the files in the system?

i may try copying the intel folders, and the registry entries from my windows7 , to my windows 10 partition on mbp.. and see if after registering the registry keys i can install the iris drivers. or is this a stupid idea?

PS: yesterday, on my yosemite, luxmark benchmarked the iris opencl with a score of 4450 while the nvidia 750 opencl with only 1156

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

i had to roll back to win 8.1 because of stability issue.. beside in win 10 scanning the directory for *.ini files returned 0

i found this igdlh64.ini but there is no way to install the drivers,

1 because in safe mode the iris is not listed as device

2 even unistalling the drivers for the nvidia components.. the iris is like a stealth..

0 Kudos
GZimm1
Novice

Well, the Windows 10 Consumer Preview is just around the corner so you may have better luck with that.

Were you able to "see" the Intel Graphics in Device Manager after reverting back to Windows 8.1? I may just give that a try since I only need the NVidia dedicated graphics in Windows for gaming. I assume you can enable the NVidia device at any time when needed (albeit in Safe Mode)?

Cheers

0 Kudos
plive
Beginner

i started a new topic on apple.. and maybe i found an explanation.

i couldn't access the bios for the windows since it is a macbook pro.. we have to accesss the firmware.. but still trying to get to it.

not that easy as i thought.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27444452 ?intel iris drivers on macbook pro retina 15" 2014 | Apple Support Communities

0 Kudos